Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm wondering about this Powercard:
http://www.powercardtuning.com/

As an engineer working in the automotive field, I find it difficult to understand how this device actually works. The only connections are for power and to each injector. There is no way that the computer can determine load from those inputs. In modern FI systems, they use a hot wire to determine mass air flow, in addition to throttle position and engine rpm, to set fuel injector duty cycle. These are truly load responsive, but our motorcycles do not have mass air flow sensors, plus many of the older ones are open loop (no O2 sensor). In older FI systems, they used a flapper door to determine mass air flow.

So, people report positive results with this device, but do not believe it is load responsive. In a fixed map system the injector duty cycle does not change with load, so I have no idea how this Powercard can determine load or even respond to it. The device is manually adjustable, so maybe it's just a device that controls fuel injector duty cycle and nothing more.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i have something similar on my diesel truck.

basically all they do is up the pressure in the common rail so that each pulse of the injector sends more fuel and presumably slightly more atomised. They can also I beleive extend the length of each injector burst to send more fuel but this must screw about with timing as the device can't know to open earlier as its still an ECU signal.

works for modern diesels simply because they are limited now by emmisons laws which is why they have all lost a lot of low down torque below 1500rpm.

I would imagine that on a bike this would be a heap of sheeeat. buy a PCIII on sale and do it proper

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe that Dobeck's module (techlusion) is the component that adjusts for load using the bikes original sensors. In other words it isn't just an add or subtract at each setpoint module like some others.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that Dobeck's module (techlusion) is the component that adjusts for load using the bikes original sensors. In other words it isn't just an add or subtract at each setpoint module like some others.
OK, I've read through the installation instructions for the Techlusion and the Powercard, and both of them only have connections for power, and to the injectors. There are no other connectors for any of the sensors or to the ECU. I can't for the life of me figure out how this thing does anything more than just change the duty cycle (pulse length) of the signal going to each injector. It apparently does it based on the duty cycle from the ECU, I guess. In other words, at higher rpm, the duty cycle is higher, so I guess Dobeck's unit senses that and adjusts the pulse length according to some programed formula. This is not being load responsive! That alone will make me not want to buy his product.

·
Registered
516 Posts
you are correct it can only lengthen the pulse width, ive used one on a gsxr with decent results but i would rather have something with more capabilities.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In my exp. more sophisticated modules would allow more parameters to be adjusted (timing etc..) which is of course a good thing but at it's price point I have found it to be better performing than Dobeck's original invention, Dynojet. My exp. was with a BMW '02 1150 RT which has to be one of the worst fueled engines extant! It cleaned up a midrange Grand Canyon, removed constant throttle surge but left me with a very occasional stall at idle. All the experts had a go at it but after reading up on how it worked I decided that the Moronic FI system was compensating for the techlusion enrichment and cutting extra fuel in the closed loop mode. Removal of the cat con relay plug (I've forgotten now what it's proper name is) forced the system into it's basic limp home map mode which then responded very nicely to the techlusion. Problem solved. If I understand correctly, the benefit of Mark's module is that it uses the stock sensors to tabulate data and then alters injector dwell, which after all is about all any unit can do short of variable fuel line pressure. Would I use it again? depends on how much control you want over parameters, if a fairly simple, 90% fix is okay, then yes I would not hesitate. BTW.... the Beemer ended up @ 90 hp on the dyno with a very rideable power band.

Bruce Go here: http://www.bikeboy.org/staintunetuningtechlusion.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts