Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying to power on dash using the red handlebar switch there is a longer than usual pause between pushing down the red switch and having the dash power up (1-2 seconds). After a few days of that, now the switch works intermittently. Sometimes the dash powers on sometimes not. Takes a few tries. The pin start button works as normal. I have 2 keys and same problem with both keys near dash.
Same problem after replacing switch with a new one.

So who has had this problem and what fixed it?

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Have you tried the other button at the front of the tank? Sounds to me like it's a switch issue. If everything is fine using the other button, open up the switch module and blow it out with electronic contact cleaner.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check for arcing/corrosion in your starter solenoid plug.

There's a service bulletin out to redo the wiring, too many amps going thru it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I rarely use the handlebar switch gear, 95% of time use the button in front of tank. Only issue i had with the handlebar switch was it sticking down so bike would start as soon as i flipped the red one up. Dealer said it was sticking but i think just weak spring since i too it apart and stretched it a bit and been fine since. Could it be other Bluetooth device nearby interfering with signal? Had that problem at dealer multiple times and had to resort to pin to start.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I wonder if it's a signal interference issue? I know you said you're putting the key near the dash (assume you mean the screen?) but I've had the issue before and it's infrequent. I've had the bike power up several seconds (5 or more) after pulling down the red switch although it happens irregularly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
this is a typical bullshit answer, but its says a lot: call it funky Italian electronics.
From time to time I seem to experience it too, for no special reason.
As long as it works, don't worry.

More rational answer, could be the battery in your remote is nearing its end!
I recently had a low remote battery notification...so that could be the reason why I experienced delays.

But who knows for sure on these Italian bikes right? 0:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is a typical bullshit answer, but its says a lot: call it funky Italian electronics.
From time to time I seem to experience it too, for no special reason.
As long as it works, don't worry.

More rational answer, could be the battery in your remote is nearing its end!
I recently had a low remote battery notification...so that could be the reason why I experienced delays.

But who knows for sure on these Italian bikes right? 0:)

@E-riko, you seemed to zero in on my problem best of all the above responses.
I appreciate everyone's input.

I changed the key battery and not only is the delay now gone, but the switch is now working every time. I do believe the key battery went dead so fast I never got the low battery message, and of course no message if the dash does not even power on.

Some thinking about my passive key in my situation also leads to a logical answer. The passive (red) key is not the one that came with the bike and it was never programmed to the bike. I had been using it just as a spare key for the luggage and seat so I would be less likely to lose the (expensive) active key.

BUT the active key is also supposed to work as a passive key, so why didn't that work? That is a question I'm going to put to my local Ducati service department. I'm also going to have them program my passive key. Hopefully they won't charge me an hour for 5 minutes of programming...

I have a spare handlebar switch now if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Ducati dealership service department has offered the idea that my bike's antenna has gone bad and that is why the active key did not function in passive mode when I was using it in the correct passive location with the key battery dead. Their scanner minimum charge of $45 applied for me. Perhaps if I was not a DIY'er they would have given me a break. Lesson learned: try a new key fob battery even if not getting the low battery message.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you done the key fob recall?

Have you programmed the PIN?

Does it power up to enter PIN?
There is no recall for 2010 key.
The pin start button works as normal. What I meant by that in the first post is that it powers up and starts ok with pin entry.
The only remaining problem now that I replaced battery in key fob is the passive key function is not working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts