Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to install the heating elements under the grips like I have done on other bikes in the past. Where has everyone pulled the power from. I saw on the forum there is a heated grip lead on some bikes in upper headlight fairing. If so can you get to the wires from fuse box too?

Also curious if anyone else used different types of heated grips vs the under the grip element.

My bike is a 2004 ST4S

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,209 Posts
There is a switched lead on the left side of the cowl area that you use. That is, unless you want to forget you left them on and drain your battery. ;)

Check out the Service Manual for details. Tech section sticky. If your exact year isn't there and you really want it, let me know.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
ST3 Heated Grip Plug

The pic shows the plug from the factory harness that Yorik refers to. I always wanted to find a mating socket with pigtails to mate to this plug but I wasn't able to find one, so I snipped one side off of a terminal, filed it down for a snug fit in the female socket and added some RTV to help keep it together. It's my 2nd winter running it, so far so good. Make this your power supply to your switch and pick a ground for the element leads and you are in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you get to that plug?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Like Yorik says...

It's not too bad to get to, the trim panel in front of the top tree is like two screws to get it out. Maybe you could find it by just taking that one off. If would be better to take out the inner fairing panel, that's a dozen or so screws and some jiggling to take it apart, unplug the instrument cluster. Then you have the whole area to see things, run the wiring, mount your switch, clean out dead bugs, etc.

Yorik, thanks for that link, that guy has the stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
? I’m here and there! Forum’s been kind of dead anyway. I cruise through every day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. I will dig into it when I get some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it installed. Took it apart and found the heated grip wires. Wired it up and the grips work fine on switched power.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Bought my connector from here
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ducati-Whee...214034?hash=item4671ef39d2:g:ZPkAAMXQM0FRfqR~

I believe this is the one - three pins and a keyway. Can someone else verify this please.
This is a good place to get all this type of connector. I get all my replacement connectors for the ST3 from them - the description may not be the same as what you need but look through the items. They have always been helpful.

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got into mine previous owner had already clipped connector off most likely to power a GPS.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
406 Posts
I run GPS/phone from smart charger pig tail .... I did clip grip heater wires though and use crimp on connections with heat shrink , had no idea how much water got in there , and I did see some evidence , so heat shrinked and done ....
Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts