Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I am a newbie in the world of ducati!! I recently bought a 2000 748 mono and am having some power issues. The first time it was in the rain and seemed it could be related but it has accured in dry conditions as well. It does seem to happen when the bike is warm. It feels as if the gas has been shut off and the bike won't rev past 5000 and is very sluggish. The bike does not die and then in an instant the power returns?? It is hard to tell if it is feul or elec.If any of you have any suggestions that would be great!!
Thanks, 1st duc

·
Registered
168 Posts
One of the things your bike and mine is notorious for is the voltage regulator/generator connection. You should inspect this anyway. The connection for the generator cooks, creates resistance then causes component failure. Eventually, you are an hour from home and the bike completely craps out. If you haven't already, get an overpriced shop manual and the total rip-off 4 ring binder to go with it. Just ask your dealer.:eek:

How many miles does the bike have on the odometer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a manual and the bike has aprox. 14500 miles. I'll check the voltage/reg conn.
thanks 1stduc

·
Registered
729 Posts
All of the above plus.. If its new to you I'd suggest going through it pretty throughly. Read the hall of wisdom plus remove the fuel pump. It a pain getting to and replacing the big oring on the bung, but its well worth the effort,time and peace of mind. The gas tank is steel with a polymer lining. Eventually the lining breaks down (remember its about 10yrs old) and the inside of the tank starts rusting. When I did mine the inlet screen was packed with rust and sludge. While you are there replace the fuel filter and check the hoses for cracking and splitting. If they're hard as a rock, replace them. Also check the plastic nut holding the fuel sender in place, they are very prone to cracking and leaking. Check out other posts for leaking fuel tanks, it'll give tips on how to reinstall the big oring and where you can buy metal replacement nuts (Yellow Blur has a supply). In all expect to spend some money it especially if maintenance records are unavailable and the belts and rockers are questionable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts