Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple on the market. The one I can think of is called Denali. There are others as well. I get tired of looking at the battery and the two different terminals resembling a third world country house hook up. Does anyone have recommendations as to converting from 7 different wires on each terminal to such a hub? I hate to get into something that is complicated and subject to failure. After all if the circuit board inside one of these things goes up in the middle of nowhere it is an extremely time-consuming fix to undo the power hub and reinstall all the different terminals back onto the battery. Steve

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I have one on the shelf. The problem is that the area near the battery is so tight that I couldn't find a spot where it either wasn't visible or riding on the fairing. I also don't want to run large gauge wires to some other spot on the bike as well as rewiring all the accessory connections.

So, what I did was get some heavy gauge ring terminals and solder all the accessory stuff to one big terminal. I got it to the point where I no longer dread messing with the battery.

Each post is something like this:

Two main harness terminals
DD headlight harness terminal
MOSFET harness terminal
Accessory terminal (voltmeter, manual fan (positive only), tender, and USB Port)

It is a stack of five, but takes no time to connect versus the old way.

I also swapped in some slightly longer allen head screws in place of the phillips that come with the batteries. They are standard M6 screws, I think. They easily grab the post nuts and tighten a bit faster.

My grips are powered off of the DD low beam headlight relay.

There are some fancy power hubs out there that sync to smartphones. They sound cool for stuff like dimable driving lights and such, but I don't have those to worry about.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Had to Google this...

The Denali hub is a decent looking item, but I didn't go much beyond that one. If you have that many items connected to your battery terminals, I think it would be a cool way to clean things up. For me personally, it's a solution looking for a problem. I don't even have a Battery Tender lead anymore. I have the Shorai pigtail attached, but that plugs directly into the battery. I was actually just thinking about that very thing. I used to have a BT pigtail connected with a set of leads in my bag modified to work as jumper cables. Wouldn't suck to put that back on just in case!

What do you have connected that needs that many tie points?

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I've been looking for years. The cost, size, lack of space has always kept me from pulling the trigger on the hubs. There's a guy that makes a harness type out of Japan...looks nice quality but it's very easy to make your own.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to Google this...

What do you have connected that needs that many tie points?
let's see, heated grips, DD headlights that plug to the battery, desmo times auxiliary fan set up, battery tender cable and auxiliary running lights. Unfortunately it all adds up. Steve

Reactions: SS904

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Here is how I handled it.
I use an over-sized Odyssey battery that has recessed terminals.
I got some brass flat stock and cut it to fit the recess, drilled and tapped that sucker and this is what I ended up with.
The aluminum plate holds the fuse holders for the 3 Powerlet outlets (2 on the dash and 1 under the seat).
I have had this setup on the bike for 5 years now with no problems. I just clean them up during the annual service and forget them.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Mark Turbo has not been on here in a long time, but I believe he made one for his 02-ST4s that fit into the place where the tray is underneath the seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had thought about the Denali PowerHub for my BMW however was not impressed with the build quality of the unit. I'm very particular about my wiring do to my career (Field Engineer for a European auto manufacturer). I also created a similar wiring setup with my ST2.

I utilized connectors and pin terminals from the vehicle brand I work for and made a custom harness with no splices, butt connectors, or any other non-factory looking wiring termination. I tried finding the diagram I did for my ST2 however can't seem to find it.

Attached is the diagram I built for my new BMW. I'm currently in the process of procuring all the terminals, connectors and other items and can post pictures when I begin to assemble.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh and to add, on the ST2 I had the following:
  1. DD Headlight
  2. Hella DIN plug (BMW/Powerlet plug)
  3. Navigation
  4. Stebel horn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts