Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Power For Heated Gear/Accessories

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  opus 
#1 ·
What is the best way to run power for heated gear, a cell phone charger, and a gps on a 2018 MTS 1260? I see there is a power outlet on the dash and assume that would NOT work for heated gear or would it?

Also what is the plug for the outlet called or where can I get one?

#2 ·
My 2012 has two Powerlet/Din outlets at the back but I ended up hardwiring a cable to the battery and had it come out up front at the middle of the tank. Much more out of the way and easy to connect/disconnect.

My liner came with the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You have two powerlets on the bike from the factory, one below the dash on the right hand side, the other underneath the rear seat. Yes, those both provide adequate amperage for heated gear, though if you need to run a splitter or something you might have to come directly off the battery.

As with any bike, watch out for running multiple high amp draw systems at the same time. That includes the fog lights, if so equipped. I was told that the 2018 bike did get a slightly larger alternator, but it's still not powerful enough to run fog lights, heated grips, and a heated vest at the same time without draining the battery at low RPM cruise.

#5 ·
The best and safest is to install a fused SAE cable directly to your battery.
BTW, every Deltran charger comes with a fused battery tender pigtail SAE cable in the box.
The 16 AWG can safely handle up to 13A.

#11 ·
Thanks guys I got is all sorted out yesterday. I'm running my heated gear off the battery and also bought a BMW plug for the dash to power other accessories.

I wish they made a BMW plug for the power port that had USB plug on it or just a USB right on the dash. I know I could also run USB cable from under the seat to the front but would rather just come off the dash to keep it simple.

BTW, if your not running heated gear then get it, I've never experienced the cold like this and it was awesome.

#12 ·
Thanks guys I got is all sorted out yesterday. I'm running my heated gear off the battery and also bought a BMW plug for the dash to power other accessories.

I wish they made a BMW plug for the power port that had USB plug on it or just a USB right on the dash. I know I could also run USB cable from under the seat to the front but would rather just come off the dash to keep it simple.

BTW, if your not running heated gear then get it, I've never experienced the cold like this and it was awesome.

One example. There are others out there.

Cllena DIN Hella Powerlet Plug to Dual USB Charger Adapter with LED Voltmeter for BMW Motorcycle/Phone / iPhone/GPS / SatNav (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZGYLL1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ChjZBbSV3HBNF

#13 ·
There is also something like this if you already bought a Powerlet to SAE adapter cable.

SAE To USB Adapter Motorcycle - Quick Disconnect Plug - Quick Charge 3.0 - Dual USB Ports To Charge 2 Devices - Powers Cell Phones, Tablets, GPS - Keep Connected While You Ride - 2 Year Guarantee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078FTSJWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6jjZBbX41JHQV

Battery Tender 081-0158 Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger Perfect for Charging your iPhone, iPad, iPod, GPS, Camera or any Smartphone or Device that be Charged via USB, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZkjZBbDK9YT3C

#15 ·
Glad to help! :)

I have the first USB charger, the one with the orange port. It powers my iPhone and GoPro. Works great. No Powerlet port up front for my 2012 though, had to run a cable from the battery.

Be aware that your port up front might turn off with the ignition. The ones in the back do, at least on my 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.