Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the power commander helped anyone with stalling and backfiring?
I just want to know before I put anymore $$ into this machine.
refering especially to the xx9 series, but any infor will help

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
It definitely helped my bike. But the best results was when i got it professionally mapped for my bike . The map from there web site was not able to cure my problems.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
thousands of xx9 bikes run perfectly well without the aid of a powercommander.find a tuner who knows what they are doing.fwiw a pc111 can be a great aid to performance tuning,but stalling and backfires is not its intended purpose

·
Registered
516 Posts
my 06 999 ran pretty well with a half system and the dp ecu but it did pop on decell and occasionally stall

i have put a pc on it and it solved it. I am taking fuell away on my bike below 3k. I havent hooked my wideband to it yet to make a custom map eventually i will.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I just finished doing the tune-up on my '05 999S per LT Snyder's book. Now there's no stalling and no rich-idle stink. It idles smoothly at 1200 rpm and blips crisply on down-shifts. All this and no backfiring on throttle roll-off/engine braking.

PC III not required...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
NO, it didn't help mine and it won't help yours either. This is because the PCIII does not affect the engine management from idle to 4000 rpm's. It is a piggy back system opposed to a Ducati Performance or Nemisis ECU which is a direct replacement for the stock ECU. I tried that w/ my 999, had a PCIII installe w/ a custom map, I did however pick up 5hp and it did run better, but the stalling continued. On the DynoJet website it advises that a PCIII can only affect performance from 4000 rpms on. However when I installed a new DP ECU that came w/ my Termignoni full exhaust kit the stalling was fixed???? go figure. Try this first: make sure your air filters are clean and replace and properly gap your spark plugs.

·
Registered
516 Posts
NO, it didn't help mine and it won't help yours either. This is because the PCIII does not affect the engine management from idle to 4000 rpm's. It is a piggy back system opposed to a Ducati Performance or Nemisis ECU which is a direct replacement for the stock ECU. I tried that w/ my 999, had a PCIII installe w/ a custom map, I did however pick up 5hp and it did run better, but the stalling continued. On the DynoJet website it advises that a PCIII can only affect performance from 4000 rpms on. However when I installed a new DP ECU that came w/ my Termignoni full exhaust kit the stalling was fixed???? go figure. Try this first: make sure your air filters are clean and replace and properly gap your spark plugs.

i dont believe this is true on a 999 it is true on a 1098 and 1198 though

they have this note with the 1098
NOTE: Power Commander will NOT allow fuel adjustment below 19% throttle and below 5250rpm unless you have the DP ECU

the same one with the 1198

and no note with the 999

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just finished doing the tune-up on my '05 999S per LT Snyder's book. Now there's no stalling and no rich-idle stink. It idles smoothly at 1200 rpm and blips crisply on down-shifts. All this and no backfiring on throttle roll-off/engine braking.

PC III not required...

what book are you refering to??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i'm going to try it.:think: i sent it back last yr and they did a sh*t load od work under warranty. they problem left now it's back. I dont want to lose another f**ckin riding season because of it. I'm tired of throttling at lights and it feels like lost some power too.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
NO, it didn't help mine and it won't help yours either. This is because the PCIII does not affect the engine management from idle to 4000 rpm's.
Not necessarily true. If you get the original PC III usb, you get mixture control from 500 RPM.
If you get the new model PC III Ex you don't get mixture control until 4000RPM.
DynoJet still stocks the PC III usb but markets as their Off-Road or Race Only device. Apparently it's a CARB licensing issue to keep DynoJet 50 State compliant.

That said, you are correct in that it won't help the stalling issue.

what book are you refering to??
Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide - 3rd edition

1 - 10 of 10 Posts