Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding places on the Net (searching for the best price) that are claiming the 749 and the 999 can use the same power commander pcs usb.
If that was true, why do they have different part numbers.
The 749 part number is 715-411 and the 999 is 714-411.
Different part numbers to me mean they are different.
Anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is what my excellent wrench had to say about the PC he installed on my 999:

The Power Commander 3 usb/PCIIIusb thankfully was one of the easiest to install ever created. Ducati uses a millspec/aircraft style connectors on the earlier than 1098 bikes which make for a brilliantly simple installation of the PCIIIusb. This was actually a Power Commander for a 748, but the pin out is the same for the 999/749/916/996/748 so it went right on. You just zero out the supplied mapping and start over on the tuning, easy as pie!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had mine installed at the Duc Shop. Mark also ran dual maps on mine so each cylinder had it's own map. The bike runs great and I think it was a easy install! I am not sure of your question if they are the same pc. Sorry!

Mike

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great, I just layed 175.00 US down on one today.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Somebody wrote here it was a PITA to install the Power Commander, I believe it was for a 999. This didn't encourage me to jump into it, but after reading the directions it looked simple, so tonight I installed it. He had trouble with the replacement connector under the airbox on the right side, he actually had to remove the airbox to gain access. Now if I had to do that I would agree with him, but I didn't and the unit was an easy install and it was only made more difficult when I positioned the "Y" PC wire/connectors on the wrong side of a vaccum hose underneath the airbox. This is the PC connector that (there are two) attaches to it. I tried to unscrew the connector cap but no go, the OE connector had four small pins that prevented that from happening. The work area was small and I didn't want to force it so I worked around the above hose and connected the other PC wire/connector to it. I found it a little difficult getting that metal cover cap to screw on because both of the OE connectors had 4 small channels while the PC connector had 4 small slats that fit inside the channels. Because of the poor light and limited space and visability with the airbox connector, I had fumble around for about 10 minutes before I hit the sweet spot.

It was late at night so I decided against starting it up, but I did turn the ignition on to see that the little lights on the unit were working. They went out per PC instructions so to avoid turning the motor on all the time I'll just pick up a 9 volt battery and use that as a power supply. The kit came with the battery connector and also the USB cable. Downloading a map doesn't look difficult at all since I have a wireless laptop to work with. If I do it will only be temporary and hopefully rid the bike of the lean condition caused by the install of a Corsa Ti Leo Vince 57mm full system. I want to take it to Don Babs, formally of Modesto Ducati because he has an excellent reputation as a tuner and mechanic and he owns his own dyno. What draws me to download a map is to learn how and also I read the PC has a map for the 999 that maps both cylinders. If I do this and the end result is a bike that burns clean and doesn't bog down on acceleration, that would be good enough to carry me for awhile. Utimately if not sooner the right thing to do is get it professionally mapped.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The pc is capable of using twin maps , As I have on mine , but the download maps are not twin maps . The map I downloaded for my 999R would`nt even start the bike up . Flooded immediately . I downloaded a base 999 map to get it on the dyno to get my twin maps set up professionally .

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
umm, thanks for that info because I would have likely done the same thing. I don't know why that happened and I think it shouldn't happen, so I might just give Power Commander a call and test their customer service.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I think the map that didnt work for me was this one . M714-506 European R Model, Moto Corso full exhaust and Stock or aftermarket air filter . It was the nearest wording to my set up . but I ended up with the base map.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
So the PC3 is the same for a 748 to 999? Just redo the fuel map?

What about the monsters or anything else that would be the same connection?

I'll start all over with a different map but if they are the same unit, i'll try and save some money

My question then, is a Power Commander 3 the same fore an 02 998 as an 05 999? I would just have to remap it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts