Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Have just joined and wonder if someone can help me please.
my name is jon and i live in Manchester England.
I have a 2000 748r and am having problem with a power commander i have just fitted.
my dtno man has managed to iron out quite a lot BUT it is still running quite lean up to and around 4800 -5000 rpm .
is ths possible to iron out does anyone know ?
the guy on the rolling road does know what he is doing and is a power commander dealer.
bike is a 2000 748R european model with a 52 mm half system and ducati eprom.
we have tried the closest maps off the power commander site
the power commander model is a 704-210
does anyone have a similar model with a map i can try please or point me in the direction of a website to get one ?

Thanks

Jon

please advise

Jon

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
jono_1uk said:
Hi Guys

Have just joined and wonder if someone can help me please.
my name is jon and i live in Manchester England.
I have a 2000 748r and am having problem with a power commander i have just fitted.
my dtno man has managed to iron out quite a lot BUT it is still running quite lean up to and around 4800 -5000 rpm .
is ths possible to iron out does anyone know ?
the guy on the rolling road does know what he is doing and is a power commander dealer.
bike is a 2000 748R european model with a 52 mm half system and ducati eprom.
we have tried the closest maps off the power commander site
the power commander model is a 704-210
does anyone have a similar model with a map i can try please or point me in the direction of a website to get one ?

Thanks

Jon

please advise

Jon
Is the guy and Power Commander "tuning center". A dealer and tuning center are two different things.

If he is a tuning center, I would suggest that you send the map to powercommander. You did pay for the PC and got it dyno'd. Either the dyno guy didn't take the time to iron out all your issues or the PC is broken. They may have some helpful suggestions.

I would hate to pay all that money and have a curve that is isn't right. Kind of defeats the purpose of a PC now doesn't it.

How do you know its lean?

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I bought the pc 2nd hand that has been on a 748 before ( not an R ) it is working , it transported to the rolling road place 20 miles away with a basic map in it.
the rolling road guy is a dealer and tuning center he has done all the courses and is good
the reason i know it is lean is u can see it on the air/fuel graph it produces.
as i said a lot has been ironed out but i am wondering if i can get a closer map then spending more money on dyno time.

Jon

·
Registered
263 Posts
i am wondering if i can get a closer map then spending more money on dyno time.
Yes. IMO, if someone is going to buy a PCIII then they should spend the time/money it takes to make having it worthwhile. If you paid for dyno-tuning, and the tech really knows what he is doing, then your bike shouldn't have any "lean spots". Maybe someone with more PC experience will chime in, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy hasnt given up , we just ran out of time coz we started late in the day, i am just trying to minimise the dyno time / money spent by getting a closer map.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
You can´t really cut down on dyno time..

Any map that has been on another bike will anly be good enough for THAT bike, not yours. The only time I´d take a "ready-made" map is when the map exactly copies the setup of my bike.

Go to the dyno again. It´s money well spent. And the 4800-6000 RPM range are VERY hard to iron out because of backpulsing in the exhaustsystem and the 748´R´s own peculiarities.. It´s a notoriosly difficult bike to get right with A/F - Lambda.

Here is a write-up on the 748R with trumpet extensions and X-over problems.
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/748r45ex.html

//amullo

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi jon, take a look at the thread 748r spluttering, look at posting by chiromikey and click the link to factorypro, makes for interesting reading!
duncan,blackburn,uk

·
Registered
372 Posts
that spot in the power curve between 4k and 5.5k rpms on the "r" bikes will send most tuners to the psychiatrist and bike owners back to the atm trying to fix it. as i mentioned these bikes need ignition tuning as well as fuel tuning and a pc alone can't address that.

i have zero affiliation with any tuner but i can't stress how important it is to start with marc salvisberg's drop in chip if you can't get a FULL (timing and fuel) custom tune from him or doug lofgren.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
chiromikey said:
that spot in the power curve between 4k and 5.5k rpms on the "r" bikes will send most tuners to the psychiatrist and bike owners back to the atm trying to fix it. as i mentioned these bikes need ignition tuning as well as fuel tuning and a pc alone can't address that.

i have zero affiliation with any tuner but i can't stress how important it is to start with marc salvisberg's drop in chip if you can't get a FULL (timing and fuel) custom tune from him or doug lofgren.
+1 on that good buddy!

Doing a custom chip will allow the tuner to play with advancement and retarding the ignition in relation to TDC. That means that you can gain both HP and torque diffrently in relation to RPM.

I´m going to get that done to mine during the next 2 weeks, since a friend of mine bought a Lambda logger so we can do it "on the road" instead of spending precios dynotime with the basics.

//amullo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Jon, sorry can't help with your problem, but you could mayby help me. If it is not to much trouble can you tell if the red light (charging) on the dash (not the oil light) comes on when you turn on the ignition on your bike.
Thanks.
Neil.
2003 748s not far from Manchester.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
It should come on, but on some models it doesn´t.

The reason for that is that only SOME models actually got the checklight for the charging.

//amullo

·
Registered
372 Posts
dunlop0_1 said:
Hi Jon, sorry can't help with your problem, but you could mayby help me. If it is not to much trouble can you tell if the red light (charging) on the dash (not the oil light) comes on when you turn on the ignition on your bike.
Thanks.
Neil.
2003 748s not far from Manchester.
amullo's right, late models (iirc, after 2000) with the new charging system don't use the red charging light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts