Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched long and hard with no specific solutions to this problem. I just installed a PCIII and it works fine according to the lights on the unit. The problem is that my computer will not recognize the PCIII via the usb cable. The software simply says no power commander connected. I do not even get the little USB symbol in windows.

My troubleshooting so far:
Checked all connections.
Plugged and unplugged USB several times at the unit and computer.
Rebooted the computer while the USB was plugged in and bike running.

I thought maybe someone here had a similar problem and found a solution.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Check to be sure you have the most current drivers for the OS you're running. Are you running Vista X64 by chance? I am and have had a few problems with hardware support.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Make sure the bike is running or use the 9V thingy. If the PC is not powered you won't be able to connect to it. Maybe you are already doing that...

Doesn't hurt to try a different usb port and cable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs. I am using Vista 32 bit. I also tried Windows 7. I also tried all of the USB ports. The power commander was powered on the bike and responsive to throttle inputs.

I test drove the bike today, and the low end feels real smooth, but from mid (6K+) the bike actually feels more sluggish. I am surprised to find usable power in the 3-4k range. Before it was a little jerky in this range. I may end up just trying to find some dyno time, but not sure the USB part is working. It will be a couple of weeks before I get the chance for that.

I just remounted all of the plastics, and will live with it for now. I did leave a USB cable zip-tied to the frame where I can get to it without the hassle of the plastic.

Keep your thoughts coming. I appreciate it.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Not specific to Windows or the PCIII, but some USB devices draw too much power from the PC, and need a powered hub to connect.

PC -> Powered Hub -> Device (PCIII).

I have a printer, camera and keyboard that won't work unless plugged into such a hub.

Cheers

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Make sure the bike is running or use the 9V thingy. If the PC is not powered you won't be able to connect to it. Maybe you are already doing that...

Doesn't hurt to try a different usb port and cable.
I had this problem and frustratingly I cant exactly recall what resolved it but I think it was fitting the 9v battery.
I would strongly recommend the Dyno time as it is worth it , where did you get your map from ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may try the powered hub. I believe I have one laying around.

I do not have the 9v adapter. Bought the PC III used from another member here along with the Sil Motor cans. He had the same year and model bike as me. Not sure if the map is custom or a pre defined one. He bought the bike with the cans and PC III already on the bike, and decided to go with the stock cans.

I may have to purchase the 9v adapter. I will look around for that also.

After thinking about it more, it seems the TPS input from the PC III may be a little off, not allowing full throttle input, and insufficient fuel to get full power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had a USB camera that stopped working once.
Had an issue with USB 2.0, disabled the USB 2.0 Enhanced controller in Computer Management area of XP, and everything has been fine.
Assume all other USB devices are operating fine for you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, all USB ports verified working. Also, verified the USB cable I have connected to the PC III was working with other devices. Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Get to "Device Manager" and right click on the "root hub (s)", left click properties, then the power management tab.

Uncheck "allow computer to turn this device off to save power"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for everyone's help. I just wanted to add an update.

I am consistently getting better gas mileage and smoother power at low rpms. Even as low as 2500 for cruise. Mileage is up from 38mpg average before, it is now about 43mpg.

The only problem so far is it is harder to start when cold. I think it is a little too rich for the start. I usually turn the fast idle up and open the throttle for a split second and she fires right up. One morning, when doing this, it did backfire on me. I believe this is due to too much fuel.

Still waiting to get some dyno time. Just a little too busy right now. I just started Test Pilot school, which is taking up most of my time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, the PCIII uses USB for data only, it does not use it for power.
Therefore, you need the 9V battery adapter for power to programme. I don't know if it is possible to upload a map with the ignition on.

A

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks again for everyone's help. I just wanted to add an update.

I am consistently getting better gas mileage and smoother power at low rpms. Even as low as 2500 for cruise. Mileage is up from 38mpg average before, it is now about 43mpg.

The only problem so far is it is harder to start when cold. I think it is a little too rich for the start. I usually turn the fast idle up and open the throttle for a split second and she fires right up. One morning, when doing this, it did backfire on me. I believe this is due to too much fuel.

Still waiting to get some dyno time. Just a little too busy right now. I just started Test Pilot school, which is taking up most of my time.
I dont believe the PC3 touches the start-up fueling so you may need to look at your start-up routine. They can be sensitive to the position on the FI lever - you may want to look at the adjustment of the cable to see it is operating correctly. Once that is checked/adjusted , when it starts , try to immediately move the lever so as to give a 2000rpm idle and then use only this position next time with no throttle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts