Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Power Commander III map for 853

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  amullo 
#1 ·
Anyone have a Power Commander III USB map suitable for an 853? Also have big valves and lumpy cams but it doesn't have to be perfect. I just want a stopgap to use for 150 break-in miles before I have it dyno tuned.

#3 ·
So it should be broken in while tuning?

And out of curiosity, which is worse during break in? Too rich or too lean?

#4 ·
I've broken in High Performance 996sps motors right on the dyno. I stuck in a chip to make 'em run and trailered them to the dyno. Low end can be cleaned enough to run right then spend some time working the mid range, and then the top end. Dyno tuning should be slow easy pulls, you're not wacking her open all at once...

If you must ride it first, then buy a chip for a 853, and go from there.......

#5 ·
Just keep in mind that a PC3 changes the fueling in regards to what chip was in the bike when the map was done.

So unless your lucky enough to find someone that used a stock chip when making there PC3map, your going to need a chip like there´s before the map is close to accurate.

So I´ll have to agree with mbevans. Spend some bucks and get a 853 chip, dont go "cheap" on the fueling if you´ve spent bucks on the build. The fueling is where it all comes together!

Try PM´ing tomtom. I think he may be able to burn and send you a 853 chip for a good price. You can reach him on www.hypertrick.net aswell.

//amullo

#6 ·
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I only wanted the map as a temporary fix so I could break in the new pistons/rings. The plan has always been to have Travis at Corse then do the cam timing and custom dyno/exhaust gas tuning. My friend's 853 has a chip from Lofgren (FIM, I think) which he has been very happy with (rightfully so after my test ride) but my bike will have 30/34mm valves and timed G cams. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think those differences really would warrant custom tuning.

I do already have the PC III, but this is anything but an effort to cheap out. I'm doing the build myself, but will be spending a fair bit of coin at Corse for the custom tuning.

From the feedback I'm getting, it may be better to do the break in at the shop. That's fine too, I just thought the street was a more suitable venue to do it.

#7 ·
Ok, that gives a clearer picture of the build.
Since you have bigger valves and G-cams, then a change in the fueling will definatly be needed.

Your buddies chip would probably be a good start. FIM did have a good 853 chip, but I´m not sure about those cams..

I´d REALLY recommend that you PM tomtom or/and bradblack.. They are the only ones on this board that i know have good knowledge about this stuff.

//amullo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.