Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the specifications the 1098 puts down 160 hp and the SF1098 155 hp at the crank.

What changes has been made to the SF1098 engine for it to have 5 hp less than the 1098? Is it in the air/fuel mapping or are there engine parts that are different?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
^^^^^^

Yes from my research I did before buying the SF 1098 that's what I remember. Everything is exactly the same as the 1098 on the engine. Just the Airbox is different.

At the time and maybe still now it's the only naked bike with out a dumbed down engine. Everyone else takes HP away to add torque. I guess this one already had that area covered.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Well, the power comes in a bit sooner too. I thought that has something to do with it. Also, interestingly, in at least one major test the SF made more rwhp than the 1098 Superbike.

·
Bon Vivant
11,125 Posts
I think the air runners also have something to do with it - the sbk has long intake tubes that act as a way to slightly pressurize the airbox at speed - the sf does not have direct ram air.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I remember, the SF engine is a mix of 1098 and 1198 engine parts. The top end and pistons are from the 1098 while the engine case is made with the modified casting techniques first used on the 1198 which saved a few kgs or so.

·
Bon Vivant
11,125 Posts
The air runners are actually the only thing different, the air box is the same 100%
actually UK is right - the air runners are the difference - not the airbox.

and desmonaut is also right, the sf was the only 1098 engine to use vacural casting for the cases (but that did not have an effect on HP)

·
Registered
40 Posts
It might be down on power but it is also down in weight over the sbk so I'd call it a wash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually UK is right - the air runners are the difference - not the airbox.

and desmonaut is also right, the sf was the only 1098 engine to use vacural casting for the cases (but that did not have an effect on HP)
I'm only running my SF on the tracks. So if I fit a pair of cut down air runners from a 1098 and remap the ECU in a dyno, it should mean a bit more power.

·
Bon Vivant
11,125 Posts
I'm only running my SF on the tracks. So if I fit a pair of cut down air runners from a 1098 and remap the ECU in a dyno, it should mean a bit more power.
Many have done it before you and many have done tests on the dyno. I have yet to see a dyno sheet that shows an increase in power with 1098 air runners. But the difference could be more pronounced at speed when air is actually being forced into the runners.

I'm running 1098 air runners on my bike and feel no increase in power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts