Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an ultra low mile 2010 1200S model with touring bags etc. Anything one should look for or ask on a 2010 model? New to the forum and just wondering any pitfalls on the 2010 to be concerned about. This one has a little over 1000 miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Looking at buying an ultra low mile 2010 1200S model with touring bags etc. Anything one should look for or ask on a 2010 model? New to the forum and just wondering any pitfalls on the 2010 to be concerned about. This one has a little over 1000 miles on it.

Thanks
Myron

Are you saying that you can buy a 2010 with a "little" over 1000 miles?

Sometimes people enter posts here and the reader might not get the true meaning of the written word.

Because the bottom line is too extensive to give you a clear answer, I'd say just go back and spend maybe two hours reading old posts.

If you can afford a new Multi buy it.

I'm guessing that might not be the case.

Buying a 2010 with a little over than "1000" miles on it?

There is more to the story going on here.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re:Multistrada questions

Yes guy had bought it and never really rode it. Had the first service done and has ridden it sparingly since that time.

He is busy on the road with work thus no riding time.

and it has 1400 miles on it as of today.

And yes a new one is out of my price range.

Thanks

QUOTE=DanF;1349295]Myron

Are you saying that you can buy a 2010 with a "little" over 1000 miles?

Sometimes people enter posts here and the reader might not get the true meaning of the written word.

Because the bottom line is too extensive to give you a clear answer, I'd say just go back and spend maybe two hours reading old posts.

If you can afford a new Multi buy it.

I'm guessing that might not be the case.

Buying a 2010 with a little over than "1000" miles on it?

There is more to the story going on here.

Dan[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am researching what to by at the moment myself used or new, 2010, 2011 or 2012 models? I think if you buy any of them used then you have to make sure of a couple of main things.
The rear brake issue has been fixed especially if it's a 2010
If it's a 2010 it's had the software updates they released last year (supposed to fix low RPM surging but all ducs do that, live with it!, steering lock problem.)
The front forks dont have the knocking problem that was supposed to be fixed under warranty
Get a Ducati dealer to see if it has logged any faults (DES servo problems etc.)
Been some bikes with rotor issues?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am researching what to by at the moment myself used or new, 2010, 2011 or 2012 models? I think if you buy any of them used then you have to make sure of a couple of main things.
The rear brake issue has been fixed especially if it's a 2010
If it's a 2010 it's had the software updates they released last year (supposed to fix low RPM surging but all ducs do that, live with it!, steering lock problem.)
The front forks dont have the knocking problem that was supposed to be fixed under warranty
Get a Ducati dealer to see if it has logged any faults (DES servo problems etc.)
Been some bikes with rotor issues?
You have left out depreciation in your assessment of the bike.

These bikes drop in value like water over Niagara Falls.

I'd wait for a 2013 Multi and pay full price for it before I would pay a dime more than $11,000 for this bike.

If the current owner never rode it at all (and never made a single update) it is a good buy only if it is a very good buy.

Used bikes with no mileage are used bikes and new models are a better investment. Unless you plan on buying this one and only bike in your lifetime.

Then this bike because it is almost new may be "worth" $20,000.

I paid $22,000 for the very same bike!

But even if it was never ridden out of the driveway it is not a good buy unless you can adjust for what it is going to be worth when the 2013's are released.

Dan

·
Registered
569 Posts
If its the "right" price for u

Get it. They are all the same bikes 10/12. A few dumb little changes that should be done by a dealer for free. If your getting a bike for resale don't get it. Buy it because you want to ride it

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts

I'd wait for a 2013 Multi and pay full price for it before I would pay a dime more than $11,000 for this bike.

If the current owner never rode it at all (and never made a single update) it is a good buy only if it is a very good buy.

Used bikes with no mileage are used bikes and new models are a better investment. Unless you plan on buying this one and only bike in your lifetime.

But even if it was never ridden out of the driveway it is not a good buy unless you can adjust for what it is going to be worth when the 2013's are released.

Dan
a used bike with very low k's has eaten the depreciation ..... and you really think a brand new 2012/13 model is going to be an investment ?

bwahhha hahaha aha ah ahaha !

to the OP , go for it. If i found myself in your position that would be a great buy ! I've bought bikes before that have had ultra low miles and they are keepers. Some people impulse buy a brand new bike and others get the benefit .
Obviously you do your checks.

The only thing i would recommend is seeing if you can get an extended warranty package .. that will put this bike practically on par with a new bike for half the price ... I'd do it !!! The changes between the 2010 and current are a few minor cosmetics ... same motor, frame, suspension, electronics etc etc etc

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
a used bike with very low k's has eaten the depreciation ..... and you really think a brand new 2012/13 model is going to be an investment ?

bwahhha hahaha aha ah ahaha !

to the OP , go for it. If i found myself in your position that would be a great buy ! I've bought bikes before that have had ultra low miles and they are keepers. Some people impulse buy a brand new bike and others get the benefit .
Obviously you do your checks.

The only thing i would recommend is seeing if you can get an extended warranty package .. that will put this bike practically on par with a new bike for half the price ... I'd do it !!! The changes between the 2010 and current are a few minor cosmetics ... same motor, frame, suspension, electronics etc etc etc

good luck

Too right, used bikes with low Km's are heaps better value just do your research and make sure the bike has had the updates already for free.
Most Ducati owners look after their bikes and your saving thousands.

·
Sophomore Member
3,123 Posts
One more thing to look for is if the side cases have the extra latches installed. The side bags originally had just the center latch. These experienced leaking. Ducati added two more latches per case. If he hasn't had this done, he should be able to take it to Ducati and get the extra latches added at no cost. I would have him also get any necessary computer updates, steering lock updates, etc. done prior to purchase. These are all technical service bulletins that he should be able to get done for free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2010 mts

Bought a 2010 MTS ABS with 2500 miles for about $10k less than the owner paid 18 months before. He has a stable full of BMWs and bought the multi for his son who ended up not riding it much. Battery kept going flat (switch in down position) and he is an offroad kinda guy...

I was in two minds about it due to the risks, but 6 months later I can tell you I am still stoked at getting a keeper.

If the bike stood still for extended periods, it may be worth booking it in for a full service - I'm no expert, but those belts in one position for long periods scare me... I guess a dealer will be able to tell you if that is cause for concern (service).

Finally my dealer told me that recalls can be done at any stage - doesn't need to be in warranty period - not sure if all dealers feel the same about this. Got this response from them when inquiring about the rear brake fix.

If its a clean bike - go for it at the right price!

·
Registered
545 Posts

:crazy: I'm usually the first one to tell sellers to put down the crack pipe when I hear their asking prices, but... a truly 1,000 mile on the clock 2010 MTS Touring with no issues is worth a fair bit more than $11k. If it's in perfect shape with no damage, clean maintenance history, it's probably a $13.5-$14k bike, easy, particularly at this time of year.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
:crazy: I'm usually the first one to tell sellers to put down the crack pipe when I hear their asking prices, but... a truly 1,000 mile on the clock 2010 MTS Touring with no issues is worth a fair bit more than $11k. If it's in perfect shape with no damage, clean maintenance history, it's probably a $13.5-$14k bike, easy, particularly at this time of year.
Pete

As I mentioned above: this bike (if you are going to keep it forever) may be worth $20,000!

The only used Ducati that I would pay top dollar for is the Sport Classic 1000 Bipostal.

They don't make that gem anymore and if you could find one in mint condition (that an owner would even want to sell)....all bets are off as to what it's worth.

The only reason to buy a used Ducati (still in production) is to take advantage of a current owner who wants to sell (get rid of) it!

I said I'd pay full price for a 2013 model before I'd buy this bike for more than $11,000. I'll stick to that.

Because they still make this bike the value of used units will be dropping off a cliff into the foreseeable future.

Again this bike is worth $20,000! I paid $22,000 for the same bike!

But if you buy this bike for a price that makes the seller very happy, well then you paid "........."!

These are not Warhol paintings.

Dan

·
Registered
237 Posts

Dan
This has GOT to be written tongue in cheek...
If not, what the heck planet are you on?

·
Registered
805 Posts
any 'blurb' out on the 2013 model yet ? changes, colors, revisions etc ?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
To answer your original question, I would probably keep the price below $14K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts