Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time rider and a former amature racer of rice bikes lol.
I currently ride and own a 2008 suzuki gsxr 750, my previous bike was a 06 honda 600rr, and before that a 2000 honda 954rr.
I have tons of experience on track and street.
Here is my question,
I have test rode the following bikes and I am stumped, 08 848 and 08 1098s.
Price completely aside and not the issue, I am looking for the best bike for me and interested and open for input on what I might like and should test before I buy.
I absolutely love the way my zuki handles and preforms, I have some engine work done to it and its quicker than a stock bike by far. (191hp at the rear wheel)
The change to V twins is a odd one for me. They just dont feel as quick, ok the 1098 was punchy and fun, the 848 felt way under powered and stiffled (to me anyway).
I even thought about staying with my rice bikes, but something is strongly pulling me back to ducati.
My only issues with both of these I rode ( 848 and 1098 ) I felt like I was looking off of a sky scraper into corners, and the ergos wore on my arms very fast.
Perhaps I should look at the 999's? Do I dare go all the way back to the 916's and 996's?
Help, what bike might I like?
Once again price is not really and issue, short of buying a Desmo.... lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have some engine work done to it and its quicker than a stock bike by far. (191hp at the rear wheel)
Wtf kind of motor work do you have to put out that much power on a 750? Because you're not going to get that on any Ducati short of an 1198F09.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand I am looking at a completely different class of bikes and that is ok and fine by me. Im not buying a Ductati because I want the fastest thing on the road..... I wouldnt be riding a 750 if that were the case for that matter.
Im looking for a bike that is comfortable ( within the sportbike relm ) to ride, as well as having the kick in the pants that a sportbike should have. I still like to attend track days and such. I guess I expected a tad more from the 848. It is deffinately faster than my ex's Suzuki SV650s also a twin engine, so I can appreciate the 848 in its class.
I suppose im in the market for the Liter-bike Duc's category.

For the record, my 750 has a very strong build, including and not limited to cam's, cam gears, lighter flywheel/mag and crank was shaved and lightened and rebalanced, a small overbore with an increased comp. ratio by 1 full point. The head has alot of work done to it by LIONS MACHINEING who is very well known in the North West U.S for his work. Full head - back LEO VINCE gp pip and header combo, AFE foam filter with tuned inlet runners, Powercommander etc.
Basically it was a Superbike build and Tune with some extras from EDR Performance out of Portland. I dont have all of the specs at the moment with me here.
It was going to be my race bike this last season when I decided to no longer compete, and now its just my road toy.
I digress....
Im looking for a fun, comfortable replacement for it at the moment.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a guy that has an 05 999R with 8200 miles on it for a good price, Just wondering if its worth my time to look at or talking to the owner about.
Lastly here, do all the Ducati sportbikes have such an upright ergo sitting position as compared to the Jap bikes? I just dont see myself going out on a 6 hr ride on one if thats the case.
Thanks gents, I really just want the right Ducati for me.

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
Of the three modern series of Ducati Superbikes, the 749/999 series had the most relaxed ergos, comparatively speaking. You might want to try one if the 848/1098 ergos are not to your liking.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of the three modern series of Ducati Superbikes, the 749/999 series had the most relaxed ergos, comparatively speaking. You might want to try one if the 848/1098 ergos are not to your liking.
When you say relaxed... are you reffering to a more upright seated position? If so thats not what im looking for. I kinda enjoy the option of laying on the tank to easy my back for slightly longer riding.
The 848 and 1098 played aweful havic on my arms after 30min of riding regardless of how tight I kneed and squeezed the tank.
I suppose this is like asking a group of guys that prefer blondes why I should stop dating red heads and burnets lol. :)
Im willing to search for the perfect mate so to speak.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you aren't really interested in a Ducati. So far basically you've said they are uncomfortable, feel awkward to turn, and slow.

And if 6 hour rides are your thing, who wants to ride a super sport anyway? That's what standards and sport tourers are for.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You could always modify the ergos to suit you by raising the clip-ons with aftermarket risers, which should help your wrist pain issue.

If you want a Ducati that's really special and you are used to 191 HP (I'm having trouble believing you really get that), you'd better find an R model, preferably a 1098R, as it will have the most low-end torque, way more than your Suzuki. Twins will never feel or sound like line-4s and they will never rev as high, either, so you have a decision to make.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I even thought about staying with my rice bikes, but something is strongly pulling me back to ducati./QUOTE]

I'd suggest you try to figure out what is pulling you toward Ducati and away from a bike you love. That may give you some idea about the bike you'd like.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well the 1098/848 mostly resemble the older SBKs (916/748/996/998) in body position, so I'd rule those out if you don't like the 1098 position.
Most people say that on the 1098 you ride "on top of" the bike while the 999 has a more "in" the bike body position. I think the general comsempsus is that the xx9 is more comfortable especially for taller riders. Also the xx9 offers more adjustability stock.
Best advice imo is try the 999 to see how you like it.

PS I do not think laying on the tank heavily is a good idea during spirited riding since it prohibits you from moving freely

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I even thought about staying with my rice bikes, but something is strongly pulling me back to ducati./QUOTE]

I'd suggest you try to figure out what is pulling you toward Ducati and away from a bike you love. That may give you some idea about the bike you'd like.
+1
Sounds like you should stay with Suzuki. Again, short of the 1098R, I don't think you'll find a model in the line you'll like. The 999R is likely the only option since you can move the seat back and the sets so you can lay out on the tank more. However, the last 999R was "only" rated at 150 crank HP, so that would be way underpowered for someone like you. Do you use that 191 RWHP on the street, which BTW I also find hard to believe from a 750. I don't want to bust your chops, but do you have a dyno sheet on that bike? Forget about the older SBKs like the 916 996 you mentioned, you are looking at 110 to 118 HP there. Another thing, have you considered the maintenance schedule for Ducatis? The valve inspection/adjustment intervals? This might turn you off as well if your used to 24K miles checks with your Suzuki. There are some tradeoffs when it comes to owning a Duc. Lastly, think torque as opposed to HP when comparing the I4s and the Ducati V twin. Different power delivery you have to get used to, or maybe not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ditto, stay jap. I have both, CBR 1000 and an 848, ride both, and love both. From what you are saying it would be way easier to find and be happy on a ricer. If your dead set on a Ducati just drop the coin and get a 1098 and learn to love it.:rolleyes: BTW I have had work done to my 07 CBR1000 and it dyno tuned to a real 160hp. That thing is a rocket.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you aren't really interested in a Ducati. So far basically you've said they are uncomfortable, feel awkward to turn, and slow.

And if 6 hour rides are your thing, who wants to ride a super sport anyway? That's what standards and sport tourers are for.
I am the kind of rider that enjoys the journey to a great riding spot. I dont enjoy having to lay on the tank like the older 90's era bikes, I like having the option.
I never said Duc's are slow, I dont feel they are. I deffinatley enjoy the torque and the multiple rpm's of power to choose from rather than wringing the neck of the bike in and out of turns- that kind of riding is better for the track and my bike is no longer a track bike.
People greatly enjoy the Ducati line of bikes and for a good reason Im sure, I can appreciate that and searching for the right one for me.
One way or another the suzuki is getting replaced.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could always modify the ergos to suit you by raising the clip-ons with aftermarket risers, which should help your wrist pain issue.

If you want a Ducati that's really special and you are used to 191 HP (I'm having trouble believing you really get that), you'd better find an R model, preferably a 1098R, as it will have the most low-end torque, way more than your Suzuki. Twins will never feel or sound like line-4s and they will never rev as high, either, so you have a decision to make.
Thanks for the direction on the R models, I am willing to let go of the power in rpm's and the high peaky numbers ( i dont use all of them on the road anyhow) which is why Im replacing what I currently have.
Im not here to brag or feel the need to prove the numbers of the 750, I'm here to ask people who love Duc's and have more experience than I do with them.
Thanks for all of the input, it is helping alot.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Im looking for a bike that is comfortable ( within the sportbike relm ) to ride, as well as having the kick in the pants that a sportbike should have.
I absolutely love the way my zuki handles and preforms ... Im looking for a fun, comfortable replacement for it at the moment.
As a guy that has both a GSXR and a 1098 in the garage, I'll be real honest. If the comfort factor is a big one for you, then the Duc just may not be right for you

I can ride all day on the GSXR. I have to take a break every hour on the 1098, unless I'm really moving around alot in turns. I'm a hair over 6'4".

I've had sportbikes from each of the big 4, and the Ducati is just a completely different animal. There's upsides and downsides to everything. I love the 1098's engine. I'm beginning to actually prefer a twin now. The brakes are above excellent, you get the great marchesini wheels, etc, etc. I can admit though that its not perfect. I'm not a fan of the dry clutch or the ergos. There's give and take with everything. But will I ever sell my 1098? No way.

If you like the GSXR that much, and you weren't blown away by the test rides on the Ducs, then I think you have your answer. If it pained you to leave the dealership without a new set of keys, that would be a different story. Based on what I've read, it sounds like you wouldn't really be happy with one.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is my dyno sheet for those that are calling yet not calling me a liar.
Can we now move on please?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a guy that has both a GSXR and a 1098 in the garage, I'll be real honest. If the comfort factor is a big one for you, then the Duc just may not be right for you

I can ride all day on the GSXR. I have to take a break every hour on the 1098, unless I'm really moving around alot in turns. I'm a hair over 6'4".

I've had sportbikes from each of the big 4, and the Ducati is just a completely different animal. There's upsides and downsides to everything. I love the 1098's engine. I'm beginning to actually prefer a twin now. The brakes are above excellent, you get the great marchesini wheels, etc, etc. I can admit though that its not perfect. I'm not a fan of the dry clutch or the ergos. There's give and take with everything. But will I ever sell my 1098? No way.

If you like the GSXR that much, and you weren't blown away by the test rides on the Ducs, then I think you have your answer. If it pained you to leave the dealership without a new set of keys, that would be a different story. Based on what I've read, it sounds like you wouldn't really be happy with one.

Thanks alot for your insight. I think I have my answer, I just may have to go and get a second bike yet again for the times when I want to ride short jaunts around town.
So do most Ducati riders really own them because of the novelty? I just dont have any FRIENDS that ride them, I know alot of guys that own and ride them, but I never get a good straight answer from them on why they love them.
I dont own a Porche because its a good everyday driver or grocery getter, its for the occasional fun.
Am I on the same lines here?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just may have to go and get a second bike yet again ...

I dont own a Porche because its a good everyday driver or grocery getter, its for the occasional fun.
Am I on the same lines here?
Exactly.

There's quite a few of us in our local group that have Ducs. Me, a 1098R, a Monster 1100S (screenname 'tyler' on this forum), an S4RS, a WERA racer on a sportclassic, etc etc. We're all enthusiasts. Thats the best way I can put it. The hardcore Ducati guy won't be able to give you a logical, objective answer. There's just something about them.

Don't get me wrong, its not like its a crummy bike and we're all denying it. Its an unbelievable bike. Think of it like an ultra-high maintenance millionaire supermodel girlfriend. :D

If you could only have one car for the rest of your life to fulfill every need, you gotta admit the Lamborghini probably isn't the best choice. It can't bring kids to soccer practice, it can't haul a boat, you're not taking it on a roadtrip... Whats that? You have a two-car garage? Now we're talking...

I recently saw a video someone sent me of a Lambo racing the new Corvette ZR-1 around a track. Cool video. Pound-for-pound, they're both relentlessly brutal on the track. But who are we kidding? Its a Lambo. Somewhere deep down, you know the Corvette is still "just a Corvette". Thats how I compare the GSXR and the 1098.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've had a whole shitload of bikes over the last 37 years. Bike #37 is a Ducati S4, some guy gave me some shit about it because it only has about 100hp. You know what? It's fun to ride. I'll probably buy another Japanese bike next time, or maybe a KTM, but for now, the little grey Duc is a blast to ride. Around town it's as fast as anything I've owned. It tops out about 135 or so. I've already gotten a felony speeding ticket a few years ago, on one of the Japanese big bores, that means I can't buy guns. Or own them. I can't vote, although they keep sending me the paperwork. And I don't have to go to Jury Duty.

I don't plan to keep anything for more than a year or two. Buy what you want, and if it doesn't appear to be what you really wanted, get something else.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts