Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking closely at an 02 ST4s today. Owner indicated he noticed an oil drop on floor. I saw oil settled on the bottom case where the hex screws hold the two halves. Did not come from this longitudinal gasket.

I test rode bike for half hour on stop n go and freeway. No drip after ride and about same amount of oil just hanging out. No floor drip.

I was unable to locate source of oil leak with side body panel on. There was much oil residue around counter shaft, but hard to tell if this was excess chain lube. I found traces of a fresh dry trail originating just forward of alternator cover.

I assume it was oil cooler hosing or a gasket seal from the cylinder head.

All leak oil was fresh, as clean as oil in sight glass. Bout 28K on speedo.

Pic attach attempt here from phone.

Wish I could get it to a shop but drove all yesterday to check out this bike.

Any thoughts?!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hard to see from pics, but the dark head of the hex head fasteners is where oil was collecting.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,630 Posts
The clutch slave in front of the countershaft sprocket may be the source, the o rings around the clutch push rods can fail over time, (dry out or roached from chain lube, grit...) and leave a mess in that area. Many aftermarket choices for clutch slaves if that's the case.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I see oil in top right of first pic, dripping from there... Grab another photo above that area (could very well be clutch slave area)...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks pretty minor leak, I wouldn't be put off buying for that but it does depend on whether you do repairs yourself or get a shop to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I don't think that's the clutch slave. Looks like engine oil. It is relatively common for these engines to develop a leak at the join between the engine and generator covers near the clutch slave. I've been through it. Tried the push rod o rings first, but the only thing that fixed it was removing the generator cover, cleaning the sealing surface, and resealing.

Not hard at all, just messy and I personally hate dealing with coolant! You need to drain oil and coolant to do the work. Good time to check the flywheel nut and that little bearing at the end of the crankshaft.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/184033-finding-darn-oil-leak.html

Reactions: PACABADA

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same problem. After doing the nut & bearing thing, a similar oil leak went away.

I don't think that's the clutch slave. Looks like engine oil. It is relatively common for these engines to develop a leak at the join between the engine and generator covers near the clutch slave. I've been through it. Tried the push rod o rings first, but the only thing that fixed it was removing the generator cover, cleaning the sealing surface, and resealing.

Not hard at all, just messy and I personally hate dealing with coolant! You need to drain oil and coolant to do the work. Good time to check the flywheel nut and that little bearing at the end of the crankshaft.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/184033-finding-darn-oil-leak.html

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,630 Posts
If it is the clutch slave, the clutch action, when pulling the lever in, may not fully disengage ,making neutral hard to find or shifting notchy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for feedback on the Potential Buy

Greatly appreciated your eyes & collective experience. In the bright backlight, my naked eye did not spot the oil in the upper right picture.

Despite the beautiful cosmetic shape & endless upgrades, I passed on the bike as the list of fixes were beyond what I wanted to work on or take to the shop. Engine fluid/leak, leaky fork seal, rear tire worn flat, squeaky rear brake, & upcoming valve check.

One memorable impression from the test ride was that the grunt was very subdued compared to my friend's same year/model '02 ST4s, possibly some fuel mapping issues or gearing (latter was changed). But even accelerating on the onramp and freeway, it lacked the strong onset of torque that I had become accustomed to. One of the reasons that has attracted me to the ST4s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I was going to suggest it was oil fling from the chain, but I've never seen one so dry!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts