Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #981

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Monday afternoon (10-22-18) one of the resident barred owls in the park at the end of my court was yawning at me. I was able to locate the owl by following the sounds of the crows that were harassing it. The photo did not turn out badly considering the insanely high ISO setting.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
To borrow our town's motto, Friday (11-2-18) was an Edmonds eagle kind of day. My son and I just missed photographing some sort of confrontation over the marsh with three adults overhead. There was a lot of screeching and one adult was chasing another. All three birds disappeared to the northeast and we tried to track them down.

1) We found a pair perched on a tree above Shell Creek off Daley St. I took some photos from 7th Ave. at east side of the Civic Center playfields park as a rainbow lit up the sky from behind. Taken handheld with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

2) If this is the Pt. Edwards pair, they are expanding their territory. Taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x III teleconverter, tripod mounted, @ -2/3 exposure compensation.

3-6) I drove up Daley St. for some closer shots. Same gear but with +1 exposure compensation due to the back lighting. One eagle took off.

7-10) I got ready for the second eagle to take off, which it did about a minute later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
I tried to find any obvious differences and I really couldn't. All were sharp and focused nicely. Talk about getting up close and personal, looks like the chicks were just getting ready to fledge. Probably wanted to fly out of there when the hot day arrived. The above Eagle photos were awesome, I really liked #2 with the sun casting light on the pair. You did a good job with the sun's backlight in the other images.

·
Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #985 (Edited)
Thanks, John. Adult bald eagles can be a challenge to photograph up here, especially when the sunlight is coming in at a low, horizontal angle; such as at sunset or in the late fall and early winter. Over expose and you wash out their bright white heads. Under expose and their bodies are just an amorphous black mass.

I haven't been doing much bird photography lately due to our limited daylight hours and seasonal gloom & doom, which I refer to collectively as the Dark Ages. People think it rains a lot in the Seattle area. We get less total precipitation than many parts of the country, but we can go for weeks without seeing the sun even though it doesn't rain.

There has not been much activity at the marsh other than the resident herons and a few green-winged teals. There have not been been many winter visitors at the marina and fishing pier either for the second winter in a row. Two Anna's hummingbirds have been providing some avian action at my back deck.

1-2: male

3-7: female

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #986 (Edited)
We have had a sunny weekend for the first time in ages, so Sunday (1-13-19) my son and I headed north to Fir Island and the Samish flats to look for birds.

Fir Island

1) Immature bald eagle, probably a 2018 hatchling

2-3) Northern shrike

4) Swans with Mt. Baker in the background

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #987

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
The third is an Eastern Bluebird. The Osprey and the Bluebird were taken at a park near my home in the Twin Cities along the Mississippi River. The eagle was taken near the National Eagle Center in Winona, Minnesota. Great area for viewing eagles in the winter. There are literally hundreds, as they gather there because it is the only open water because of the warm water discharge from a power plant.
I thought there was an outside chance it was a Bunting.

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Climate issues?

Thanks, John. Adult bald eagles can be a challenge to photograph up here, especially when the sunlight is coming in at a low, horizontal angle; such as at sunset or in the late fall and early winter. Over expose and you wash out their bright white heads. Under expose and their bodies are just an amorphous black mass.

I haven't been doing much bird photography lately due to our limited daylight hours and seasonal gloom & doom, which I refer to collectively as the Dark Ages. People think it rains a lot in the Seattle area. We get less total precipitation than many parts of the country, but we can go for weeks without seeing the sun even though it doesn't rain.

There has not been much activity at the marsh other than the resident herons and a few green-winged teals. There have not been many winter visitors at the marina and fishing pier either for the second winter in a row. Two Anna's hummingbirds have been providing some avian action at my back deck.

1-2: male

3-7: female
This year and a few years ago we had a total seasonal break from our long term drought conditions, nature's response was quite the opposite of what you would expect. I guess you can say it hasn't had much to say about global warming as it has plenty to say about the climate change models. Symptomatic of this are the whacky weather patterns and forecasts being turned upside down, unpredictable. Some dumb politician from Oklahoma came into the chambers one day carrying a snowball, he promptly stated he scooped it up in front of the building and claimed it was living proof that global warming was false because he had that snowball in his hand.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Oh....................wait......................wrong kinda bird..................

Attachments

981 - 992 of 992 Posts