Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 992 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no reason why I should hold a bird photo monopoly on Ducati.MS. Post your (non Duc) bird photos here. Pack your camera with you on your next ride and start snapping away.

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start out with some photos of a leucistic crow I photographed locally in Marina Park. A leucistic bird looks like an albino, but has normal (not pink) eyes.

Although they are rare, this is the second leucistic bird I have photographed. I photographed a leucistic Canada goose at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on Christmas day last year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
I have one. Not much into wild life photography, but I shot this while I was goofing around in the back yard with my 300 f/4, which I stupidly sold. I liked it more for the colorful bokeh than for the bird, but...

How are you liking that 7D?

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the 7D. I think its best feature is the "Q screen", which allows me to change any setting quite easily.

It is hard to bring out the feather detail when photographing large, dark birds like eagles in good light, and very difficult to bring it out in the lousy light I often find up here. The Q screen allows me to experiment with aperature/shutter speed/ISO settings easliy.

The main drawback I find is trying to hold focus on flying birds. The "AI Focus" autofocus feature is supposed to do this, but you can tell from some of my photos that it has not. I am not above admitting that it may be operator error.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
The main drawback I find is trying to hold focus on flying birds. The "AI Focus" autofocus feature is supposed to do this, but you can tell from some of my photos that it has not. I am not above admitting that it may be operator error.
AI Focus isn't known for its accuracy. It should really be avoided. It's leaving critical decisions (is the target moving or not) to the camera. Like "green box" mode, forget it’s there. For BIF, AI Servo is really your best bet. AI Servo is predictive. It sets focus for where the target will be at the next shutter click, so you need to be tracking before you click. Cameras like your 7D can establish that lock lightning fast, but it is still something that you need to be aware of. The other thing to try, if you’re not already, is manually selecting a focus point. If you leave that up to the camera to decide, it may grab something with more contrast in the background. Pick a point, put it on the bird, lock focus, fire away! As I said, BIF and wildlife isn’t my thing, but I do shoot ice hockey. These methods have worked well for me to be able to lock on and track one player in a mess of activity. BTW, you have some nice shots!

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The osprey are back

Here are some first photos. Things should get better in another month when they have to dive for fish more frequently off Sunset Ave. to feed their young.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
There is no reason why I should hold a bird photo monopoly on Ducati.MS. Post your (non Duc) bird photos here. Pack your camera with you on your next ride and start snapping away.
Ummm, you do realize that a 'bird' in Italian refers to a certain part of the male anatomy? (uzèl in dialect, uccello in Italian)

Tom

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recognize the bald eagle and osprey, but what was the bird in the third photo? A swallow?
Where were these taken?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The third is an Eastern Bluebird. The Osprey and the Bluebird were taken at a park near my home in the Twin Cities along the Mississippi River. The eagle was taken near the National Eagle Center in Winona, Minnesota. Great area for viewing eagles in the winter. There are literally hundreds, as they gather there because it is the only open water because of the warm water discharge from a power plant.

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The eagle was taken near the National Eagle Center in Winona, Minnesota. Great area for viewing eagles in the winter. There are literally hundreds, as they gather there because it is the only open water because of the warm water discharge from a power plant.
I expect to see lots of eagle shots from you on this thread next winter when you can't ride.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
some from west oz

these were taken mainly down in the south of the state, in this case albany

some sort of seagull or tern from memory

cranky arse goose

not quite so cranky pelican

Jilboru

bottoms up !

puff that chest up

curious as ever emu

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
hahaha i could pull your legs and say yeah everybody has one in their backyard - they scare off the drop-bears. :D

but no, that was actually taken a established mining site about 2hrs flight northeast of perth, they are pretty coming in the bush and great scroungers and very inquisitive things - usually not vicious unless you spook one or accidently corner one, then yikes, a 6 foot pissed off hissing terror - kangeroo are more dangerous.

1 - 20 of 992 Posts