Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this isn't quite an introduction. I'm writing a book set in 2010 and have very little knowledge about motorcycles. Long story short the hero must quickly hotwire a Ducati from a dealership and ride away on it. Would this even be possible? I understand if I can't have a play-by-play but a general idea of what he could do would be very helpful. Thank you!

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Depends on the bike. If it had been sitting for more than three days, the battery would be dead. More than a week and the tank would have swollen, jamming the ignition. More than a month and the exhaust, ECU, bars, wheels and seat would need upgrading. More than 3 months and the belts would need changing. More than a 6 months and the porous castings would have leaked all the oil out. More than a year and the dealership would be gone.

Sounds challenging.

pg
DD

561 Posts
Yes it would be possible . things the thief has to do in order to make it look real to the rest of us.

1 He must take the body pannel off the left side of the bike and replace the ECU with a new one, or , put in a nemisis ecu.

2 Then he needs to replace the dash with the one he has brought along with him to match the new ecu

Then he needs to replace the ignition with a new one that has all 3 keys (2 black & 1 red)

If he were to pratice this , he should get the time down to just about an hour or so.........good luck with the book.

Note : a tow truck would be much cheaper($3000-$4000 for above mentioned parts) and more believable .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know that a truck would be more realistic. ;)

Thanks a lot for your quick responses! I'll rethink this.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,469 Posts
If he's at a dealership then why the need to hotwire? Break into the key vault and take the key. Problem solved. Better make sure it is a demo and has gas and oil.

Ha ha! More than a month and the seat needs upgrading. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts