Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’m jumping over from the Monster side to ask a question.

I currently have a ‘16 XDiavel, ‘00 Monster 750 and I’m looking at adding a Supersport to my collection.

I’m far from rich, neurotic maybe. I bought the XD new and I’m making payments. The Monster was a disaster that I picked up for $500 and I’ve restored it and now it’s a beautiful bike, still working on some spark gremlins, but it’s going to be a nice everyday rider.

I found a 1994 900 with 30,000 miles for $2,500. Seems to be in nice shape, but it needs the usual (belts, tires, brakes, fork seals, probably bleeding all hydraulics and maybe a carb cleaning). I just did all this on my monster so I know exactly what I’m getting myself into.

Here are a few pics.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not that this is a good or bad thing --But it's a 900CR, not a 900SS there are people who will argue that but it's a fact--There are differences between the 2 bikes. The price seems very good and understanding that it needs a full service plus other things you know what your getting into.--
Main differences between the 900SS & 900CR
900SS---- 900CR
Aluminum swingarm --- Steel Swingarm
Full Fairings--- 1/2 fairings
Adjustable Showa front forks--- Non-adjustable Marzocchi or Showa front forks
5.5 inch rear wheel--- 4.5 inch rear wheel
Both bikes are good -depending on what you are going to use it for & your riding style will determine what & if any upgrades are needed

·
Registered
387 Posts
One of the most noticeable improvements I ever made to my 93 SS was changing to a Lithium Ion battery. THE most noticeable thing I ever did to that bike was going to an aluminum tank and carbon fiber cap. The lightning of these 3 heavy and highly placed components exponentially improved the flickability with the obviously lower CofG. I did the battery change before the tank and cap. That alone will put a smile on your face if you have swervery nearby

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Check around the steering stem for frame cracks, and ask if there's been any problems with broken head/cylinder studs.

Reactions: psyopper

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that this is a good or bad thing --But it's a 900CR, not a 900SS there are people who will argue that but it's a fact--There are differences between the 2 bikes. The price seems very good and understanding that it needs a full service plus other things you know what your getting into.--
900SS---- 900CR
Both bikes are good -depending on what you are going to use it for & your riding style will determine what & if any upgrades are needed
Thanks, I’m aware of the subtle differences and I believe the CR stands for Cafe Racer, but I may be wrong.

The non-adjustable shocks still allow for fork seal replacement right? I also assume that you could swap out forks pretty easily to the Showa’s. I would bet that I could find an aluminum swing arm and replace that too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the most noticeable improvements I ever made to my 93 SS was changing to a Lithium Ion battery. THE most noticeable thing I ever did to that bike was going to an aluminum tank and carbon fiber cap. The lightning of these 3 heavy and highly placed components exponentially improved the flickability with the obviously lower CofG. I did the battery change before the tank and cap. That alone will put a smile on your face if you have swervery nearby
Have swervery...haha...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Check around the steering stem for frame cracks, and ask if there's been any problems with broken head/cylinder studs.
I’ve read about the possible weakness in the steering stem. That’s a concern. I will have to buy this sight unseen, but at that price, I think it’s worth the risk. I THINK...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
900SS---- 900CR
Actually aren’t they both Supersports? One is an SS and one is a CR.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
CR stands for Carenatura Regalado or something similar in Italian. IIRC, the direct English translation is "Regular Fairing"..............

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Actually aren’t they both Supersports? One is an SS and one is a CR.
You can call them what you wish -But I am used to dealing with BMW's mostly & just like Ducati each model has it's own designation so to my way of working I need to know what the hell it is--So yes they are super sports but there is a 900CR, 900SS, 900SP, 900SL,900FE --they are all close to each other but they are all different--So in my world semantics make a difference

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You cant believe the number of times I answer the phone and the people just say -I have a BMW motorcycle and-------. I then have to say--that the hell model BMW do you have---It makes a big difference

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not too long ago, I bought a 96 CR with about that many miles, in similar condition, for just a little bit less than $2500. It needed a lot of work to get it to where it is now, but I'd do it again in a second. Might even consider picking up another if I found one for that price again.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,249 Posts
CR stands for Carenatura Regalado or something similar in Italian. IIRC, the direct English translation is "Regular Fairing"..............
It's "Carenatura Regolare",and yep that translates to regular fairing in English.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not too long ago, I bought a 96 CR with about that many miles, in similar condition, for just a little bit less than $2500. It needed a lot of work to get it to where it is now, but I'd do it again in a second. Might even consider picking up another if I found one for that price again.
BAM! That’s the response I’ve been hoping for! Not that it matters because I’m not getting this to sell if if I Get it, but what do you value your CR today?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
More than a few have. Then they try to pawn it off as an SP. Don't do that.

It doesn't take much in the way of parts to do the conversion. As far as I could tell, nearly all the parts are still available from Ducati Omaha.

If you can't find reasonable used bodywork on eBay, I'd recommend calling AirTech. Their 'glass is super light weight, and accurate in reproduction. Once painted, no one would know it wasn't OEM Ducati unless you told them, or they looked at the backside of the 'glass........sean

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's no big deal to convert a CR into an SS---It's just a matter of $$$---If you want an SS instead of a CR hold out and you will find one--& it may wind up costing less then the conversion

·
Registered
122 Posts
BAM! That’s the response I’ve been hoping for! Not that it matters because I’m not getting this to sell if if I Get it, but what do you value your CR today?
Wouldn't have a clue what it would sell for- it has a lot of non stock stuff on it- SP front end, solo tail, FCRs, ferracci exhaust. Definitely not for someone looking for originality. I think it's a beautiful machine as it stands and couldn't imagine myself parting with this one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts