Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the hyper really needs a damper, but I am not really liking the bolt on options avalible. I really hate the look of the scotts and the price of the DP and ohlins option. So has anyone used something like this? http://www.storzperf.com/jpgs/page18.html
I like the looks of the rod style damper And I figure it would be east to buy a for clap and a clamp for the frame to set all this up with.
Anyone done it?? or have any thoughts? Know a good source for the clamps?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're not on the track just swap out to tapered roller bearings in the steering head.
Hadnt really thought about that Thanks!! Will Check into it.

You think this looks better than the Scotts?Why don't you just run a bungee cord between the fork and frame?A rear shock from an 85' Honda Civic would work too!:D
There is the True Ducati MS spirit I was looking for... Someone who would question my personal taste and add nothing to the conversation. Yes I think the Storz look better than the oddly shaped scott pod that sits akwardly on the tripple.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Storz is a fairly popular option with the Sport Classic crowd. You might want to search that forum for old posts, there should be plenty. If you can't find 'em, post a question on that forum for some real world experience before you buy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
are you sure

You think this looks better than the Scotts?Why don't you just run a bungee cord between the fork and frame?A rear shock from an 85' Honda Civic would work too!:D
a civic shock will work? lol...What colour bungee should I use...

I don't think the hyper really needs a steering damper..track day coming up so might be famous last words..surely a lighter grip and new tyres will suffice

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have owned a few bikes and have to say that this bike with susp set up properly is so far from needing a damper.

My bike has 2500 miles on it and around 2k of them are on the track. I've never had even the smallest issue once I set my susp properly.

·
Old Wizard
3,007 Posts
I agree, unless you're getting headshake there's no need. Ducati puts steering dampers on their models that NEED it because of aggressive front end geometry. Steering dampers ALWAYS spoil handling so think twice. Double check your suspension settings especially rear ride height if you're having difficulties.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm?? my hyper does really well under 85mph or so, but after that I think the front end starts to get a little unstable. I would attribute that to no wind protection, the rider and duc bill fender catching air causing the front to get light, and the wider bars making the bike a little more sensitive to rider imput. That being said I havnt touch the stock suspension settings.
I think either way I still want a damper on the bike. I will do some seaches to see what I come up with on suspension.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I can guarantee if you set you sag for your weight (including gear) your high speed twitchiness will be gone. Also riding in dirty air in traffic will be much better.

If you are gonna drop $400 on a dampner I would first spend it on adjusting the suspension and maybe new springs or valving.

Out!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree, unless you're getting headshake there's no need. Ducati puts steering dampers on their models that NEED it because of aggressive front end geometry. Steering dampers ALWAYS spoil handling so think twice. Double check your suspension settings especially rear ride height if you're having difficulties.
I rode the Hyper approx 5000mi, with lots of wheelies and a couple of Track-days, and never ever had even a twitch, UNTILL....once at Buttonwillow Raceway halfway thru the track-day around a flat corner before a straightway that I had done about 20 laps already, and WHAM! my POS 2CT broke lose, sending me into a FULL lock to lock tank slapper down the straight away!! I was flying around like a monkey Fu*king a football!! I was forced into the dirt, (boy was I glad) which slowed the bike down enough for me to regain control, (LUCKY) :p The guy behind me who saw all this gave me a thumbs up for my aerobatics.:rolleyes:
The next time I did a track day I made sure that I had a steering damper, (I got the Scotts) and got rid of the POS 2CT, and for me, this was a positive move for me, my bike feels more settled & smoother on the road & track, but the biggest thing the damper did for me was to give me back some of my confidence, even if its just perceived. To this day with many track-days under my belt, I have not had a repeat of the "tankslapper" (thank GOD):)
And just to clarify, I did have my suspension set-up for me by the suspension gurus. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
190 Posts
a couple of track days that i have been to actually required a damper to pass tech. i don't know if it was an insurance issue or a track rule, but their policy was: no damper, no ride.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I this was a positive move for me, my bike feels more settled & smoother on the road & track, but the biggest thing the damper did for me was to give me back some of my confidence, even if its just perceived. To this day with many track-days under my belt, I have not had a repeat of the "tankslapper" (thank GOD):)
And just to clarify, I did have my suspension set-up for me by the suspension gurus. Aloha Alex
I totally agree with this... I know using a damper to settle the front is just masking the symptoms, but there is something about knowing that a full on tankslapper is not going to happen.
I when back and check my note... I did set up the front suspension to ohlins specs awhile back and and that did improve this problem. At that time I also removed the handgaurds, which also reduced high speed frontend wobble.
The bike feels really good now, but the front still seems over 85mph and gets worse as it gets faster. I might mess arouns with dropping the rearend alittle but...
I still want to know if anyone has put a rod style damper on thier bike. Anyone?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts