Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new member here from MA. I currently own a 2008 HD V-Rod Nightrod Special. I am looking at buying a second bike and I fell in love with the Sport Classic 1000s. I fell in love with the 70's cafe racer style.

I have already surfed this forum for a few weeks and asked about the tank spreading issue which the dealer says they are aware of. They use spacers and if it gets really bad they replace the tank under warrenty no problem. I also checked on the fuel line clamp and getting the suspension tuned for my weight.

Anything else I should know about these bikes other than the fact that they are:

A. A head turner

B. Fun to blast around the corners on

C. Sexy

:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Add to the list:

D. Increased attractiveness Strangely, my hair grew back and I lost that 10 pounds I'd been trying so hard to drop. The iphone vanity app measured me a 6.7 on a 1-10 scale one year ago. Last week, my rating went up to a 8.6.

E. You will become wealthier You will instantly get a pay raise, make more money, sell more stuff, etc.

F. Sex It never ends.

G. Increase in I.Q. Studies have shown a 0.8 correlation coefficient between I.Q.'s above 160 and those who use up the entire back tire on a Sport Classic. Some experts guess that the absolute zen that occurs when grinding your right footpeg in second gear at 6800 rpm on the second downhill sweeper on highway 9 unlocks parts of the brain that one wouldn't normally be able to access.

H. Increase in Endurance Little known fact is that Lance Armstrong trained on a prototype sport classic. Privately, to those who know him well, he will admit that this cross-training is responsible for his comeback.

I. Increased youthfulness My doctor believes that I have turned back the clock 10 years by riding a sportclassic. "In only 9 months, you have the fitness of a 30 year old man," he said.

J. Chicks will dig you more. Chicks in red string bikinis with Ducati logos on them appear out of nowhere everywhere you go and will not leave you alone. This was annoying at first, but I got used to it.

K. Eternal life A new study out of the Mayo clinic has found actual invincibility in a few sportclassic riders. They have no medical explanation for the phenomenon.

I might be exaggerating a little on the last one, but the others are dead-on. Ask anyone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
:Dfantastic bike... agree with above comments

1. you'll get used to the clip-on riding position after a short while (pressure on wrists / maybe back)
2. vibration in grips is a little annoying (easily fixed though)
3. reliability ok so far so good
4. you might want to undertake mods if you feel like spending $$$, but i guess it's not essential really (there are many threads on this topic) eg. better tyres, termis, lighter wheels, better forks/suspension, sprocket teeth, mirrors, tail chop, damper etc... OR you may just choose to leave it stock! everything can always be better.
5. either way, the grin when you open it up is worth it
:abduct:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Never heard of a Harley guy going to a SC. Report yourself to Guiness at once!

:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

LOL I am not a Harley guy. I am a "motorcycle" guy. I love anything on two wheels. I prefer the bikes that have style and the ones you don't see every day on the road. The V-Rod is not your typical Harley as you can see below:

The sitting position of my current bike is the "clamshell" with the forward controls and drag bars causing me to lean forward. When I test rode the Ducati reaching forward further did not bother me. On a longer ride it may but I don't plan on riding this bike 400 miles in a given day.

I already started looking into the stage one mods. For the first year I will probably keep the bike stock. Next year at minimum I'll do the stage one at least. The other mod I would like to do is drop teeth out of the pulley for more torque and off the line power. I did this to my Vrod and love it.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts

What does that dark foamy aweful first time tasting (until you get the aquired taste for) beer got to do with Harley and a SC ???:D:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
What does that dark foamy aweful first time tasting (until you get the aquired taste for) beer got to do with Harley and a SC ???:D:D
absolutely nothing. they are both spelled Guinness.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love the VRod. The Ducati is fabulous. Mine currently has a whopping 150 miles on it and I love it. I hope the issues I am having (electrical gremlins and oil leak) are not indicative of long term problems.

PS - My trainer commented on my improved flexibility the other day. Not sure if it is from the riding position, but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You will find a need to; 1Get rid of that 40lb pot belly, 2Remove that stupid earing, 3Chop off that gray ponytail, 4get rid of that fringe dangley jacket, 5Quit smoking, 6Get rid of your fat ugly girlfriend/wife and the invest in a dental plan for the both of you :D.

Just Joking :eek:......Seriously, that VRod is pretty trick and if the local dealership is worth a hill of beans you love the Ducati

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anything else I should know about these bikes other than the fact that they are:

A. A head turner

C. Sexy

:D
Welcome from another MA member! I'll tell you, one of the best parts of owning a sport classic is parking it and then sitting in a pizza shop looking out the windows watching people stop and check out my bike.

You ever walk into a bar with a ridiculously hot girl and every guy in the room turns and checks her out? Yeah - me neither. BUT I'd imagine that if I did, it's a lot like owning a Sport Classic...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will find a need to; 1Get rid of that 40lb pot belly, 2Remove that stupid earing, 3Chop off that gray ponytail, 4get rid of that fringe dangley jacket, 5Quit smoking, 6Get rid of your fat ugly girlfriend/wife and the invest in a dental plan for the both of you :D.

Just Joking :eek:......Seriously, that VRod is pretty trick and if the local dealership is worth a hill of beans you love the Ducati
Holy crap did you see my riding my v-rod around today or something? lol

zeeede said:
Welcome from another MA member! I'll tell you, one of the best parts of owning a sport classic is parking it and then sitting in a pizza shop looking out the windows watching people stop and check out my bike.

You ever walk into a bar with a ridiculously hot girl and every guy in the room turns and checks her out? Yeah - me neither. BUT I'd imagine that if I did, it's a lot like owning a Sport Classic...
That already happens with the Vrod. Not many around and people are suprised when they figure out it is a Harley. I get a lot of "Thats a Harley???? Never seen a Harley like that before!"

Which brings me back to my choice in bikes. I like the ones that make you take a second look and that is what the Classic did when I saw at the dealer. Then I took many more looks :D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have, and, yes, it's exactly like that, except everyone isn't thinking "What the hell is that bike doing with him?!!!

P.S. She was really only a friend anyway . . . well, mostly.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
$$. V-Rod looks great! Welcome to the site .
SOOOoo much is learned here and to be learned , As a long time H-D owner and lover,(sold the Electra Glide this spring) there is a few basic Quirks to ever model ,which should be known,to save you some grief, I don't know if this holds true for the SC but oh the Hyper if yu miss a shift DO NOT try to down shift go up a gear! These SC riders will fill you in , just Ask ,

The Electra Glide felt like the back tire was flat after riding the Hyper !!
these guys here will tell all the world about how they screw things up ,so the next guy doesn't ,very un H-D like,

About fuel some say its the ethanol which causes the tank failure ?

I inquired at Shell Canada and they don't use ethanol in their premium ,5% in their mid- grade and 10% in their regular ....Maybe one should ask the oil company in your area and get answers which pertain to your area ....

Seems to be a hit and miss thing
I strongly advise to get friendly with the dealers service dept, so they know your level of expertice and confidence.

Oh yeah ,You thought H-D has no qualms about charging top buck for parts and stuff, They don't hold a candle to Ducati...
Pay to play I guess..
I have had nothing but good times and great experience with my Ducati ...
A huge part of that experience is this site here, Great information ,from Great people who have a true LUST for motor cycles...Willing to help ,glad to help...they will let you know when you mess up too...
As far as doing mods my advice is if something new ( a procedure ,or fix or adjustment) ,don't be the first to sort of jump on the bandwagon and do it too ..Research it to make sure it doesn't affect something else...

You got a Full face helmet ? Proper riding boots? (not the engineer steel toed clunkers)
riding pants, Jacket with good armour ? Good gloves ? ATGATT =all the gear all the time !
The smart ones stress that here ..Good advice for sure..

Watch them new tires, scrub them in first, take your time learn the bike and its handling ,I check pressures before every ride and after when they are hot and even bought a laser digital Pyrometer (thermometer $20 at your Harbour Freight stores) just sos I know ...
Anyways Nice Choice and have a blast on the new sled RIDE SAFE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts