Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have learned the hard way to wait for the first service before modifying anything on a bike, I was wondering about the feasibility of the following on the S version of the Streetfighter:

1) Would changing the front sprocket to drop a tooth screw up the traction control? I have heard both yes and no on this one.

2) Just on general principal, I would probably want a clutch slave unit. Recommendations for this bike?

3) I have been told that installing a slipper clutch will not adversely affect anything on the bike, including the Traction Control. I expect additional damage to my wallet.

4) Rearset? Even a slight peg adjustment as on the "Wood...whateveritis" rearset gear shift lever and brake?

5) I like the ergos on this bike far more than the monster 1100. I am not looking to lose my license. But I might consider raising the bars just a touch. Opinions on the type of bars which come standard on the 2009 Aprilia Tuono? Does anyone know just which bars these are?

Thanks.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
1) according to Ducati, No

2) Yoyodyne? I'm sure they are all pretty good

3) I would probably tell you the same thing.

4) you should clarify this question

5) not my area of knowing

are you going to get a flywheel?

·
Registered
465 Posts
1) according to Ducati, No

2) Yoyodyne? I'm sure they are all pretty good

3) I would probably tell you the same thing.

5) not my area of knowing

are you going to get a flywheel?
Are the flywheel mods safe? My understanding is that they don't make anymore power but cause the motor to spool up faster making the acceleration better. Is this correct?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are the flywheel mods safe? My understanding is that they don't make anymore power but cause the motor to spool up faster making the acceleration better. Is this correct?
Depending on how you change 'em up, dropping a tooth on the front and adding one on the rear e.g. 14T/39T "shortens" the gearing and the result is a higher RPM per MPH, which gets the revs up quicker ergo quicker acceleration. Also drops the MPG for the same gearing. I was considering doing this on my SF because my 996 was very tall and had the same gearing. However the increased power and torque on the SF provides enough acceleration such that I don't feel the need now. It would also increase the wheelie tendancy :D.

I had an Evoluzione 30.5mm clutch slave on my 996 which made a huge improvement with clutch pull. My dealer tried to switch it out onto the SF but it would not work. However, I did install a billet clutch pressure plate and retainer caps from MPL and it provided a drastic decrease in clutch pull. The demo SF I rode was once again painfully stiff. My SF with the billet pressure plate was much lighter and to my liking.

Hope this is useful to you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1)
The standard pegs seem slippery. I was hoping to change pegs, perhaps to something adjustable. Then, I suppose I'd look for matching gear and brake levers. I bought all of these for an 848. I just forget the name of the manufacturer (Wood.....?). The pegs are slightly adjustable. Pegs and other foot operated items are crosshatched steel (black) and give good traction.

Given the heat shield by the right peg, I was wondering what would be available as a change, especially if I felt like going higher or further back.

Hope that is more clear.

Thanks.

·
1,642 Posts
I don't know about safe or not safe.
They do allow the motor to rev quicker and to respond faster. They don't add HP but they do suck less because they are less rotating mass.
As for accelerating and wheelies they will improve that ability I'm sure, but your every day usability will probably go down. For street riding I don't know that there is an ultimate benefit from a flywheel :) other than hooliganism.
I put some links for some pretty good info regarding them.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/Duc/duc-nicholsFlywheel.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29734

·
1,642 Posts
The standard pegs seem slippery. I was hoping to change pegs, perhaps to something adjustable. Then, I suppose I'd look for matching gear and brake levers. I bought all of these for an 848. I just forget the name of the manufacturer (Wood.....?). The pegs are slightly adjustable. Pegs and other foot operated items are crosshatched steel (black) and give good traction.

Given the heat shield by the right peg, I was wondering what would be available as a change, especially if I felt like going higher or further back.

Hope that is more clear.

Thanks.
Woodcraft
I want to get some Aculigan but it will be after I know they will fit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's the name

Woodcraft, thanks. The set I ordered for the 848 was quite nice. Would be happy to have something similar for the SF. Better, for my big feet, if the shift and brake were a little wider than the stock levers.

I look forward to see what develops.

Thanks, everybody, for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts