Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum. I just turned 43 and am looking to change bikes. I am currently selling my 03 GSXR 1000 and looking for something a bit more comfortable, and something Im not so hunched over on while riding. Anyway I have always loved Ducati's and especially Monsters. So I might be getting one once the Gixxer sells. Anyway the bike Im looking at is a 2000 Monster Dark 750. Its got 26K on it, a ton of upgrades, and had the belts done at 16k valves done at 24k. Hes asking $3699. So what Id like to know is

1) Does this seem like a fair deal?

2) Is it true itll cost an arm and a leg for maintenance?

3) Will it be more comfortable? My main gripe about the Gixxer is how hunched over I am. And my hips hurt after a ride due to how high the pegs are.

Thanks for any advice and info. Appreciate it.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,209 Posts
Welcome Custnam.

The price seems a bit high to me, but what does Kelly Blue Book and NADA say? The 750 Dark was the entry level model. You say it has lots of mods, but are they just bling or are they functional things like suspension? If you're used to a Gixxer 1000, the 750 may be disappointing. You may want to consider a model with a bigger motor.

Maintenance is more than most other bikes. You'll have to do it more often and parts can be more expensive. If you turn your own wrench, you can save a lot of money. Many of us here on the site work on our own and you'll get lots of help if you ask.

As to comfort, only you can say what is more comfortable. I'm just fine on my 749, but other people feel too scrunched on it. It all depends on your build and what is ailing you.

Good luck with your search. Ducatis are a special breed. There's not much else like them. That's why we're here. Please fill out your location info in the User CP. Thanks.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

·
Bon Vivant
11,300 Posts
I think Yorik is right on the money; the 750 dark was the lowest cost entry level Monster. But almost any monster will bring close to $4k these days even when they need work. Personally I dont think its the right bike for you given your last bike. I'd hold out for a 06 or newer S2R 1000 or an S4RS if you can swing around $8K. I think you'll be much happier. And look for a bike with under 10,000 miles there are plenty of them out there.

Ducati maintenance is expensive and it needs to be done, it's just part of ownership.

As far as leg room, the monster will be somewhat better but it still has high pegs. If you need more leg room the Streetfighter has the greatest peg to seat distance. Both bikes will be more upright than the GSXR.

Good luck, hope you find the right bike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the quick replies. Im not looking for equal power or speed at all. I mainly ride for fun. And the Gixxer has just gotten too uncomfortable. Id say the main pain after a long ride is my hips. They hurt when I have to raise my legs up onto the pegs. For example if Ive been riding awhile then come to a stop. It hurts my hips to raise my feet back onto the pegs. I tried to lower them and it helped a bit, but caused other problems. Ill list the extras here on the bike Im looking at. Im new to Ducati so Im not sure what it all is. But it sure is a pretty bike. I use to have an SV650 and wish I still had it. It was awesome, so thats another option. But Ive always like the naked look of the Ducati Monsters. And Im pretty handy and do a lot of my own repairs. So if its not too hard I would be able to do the majority of the maintenance. Pic added also.

Heres the list:

Belts done at 16k
Valves done at 24k
Both tires are brand new less then 200 miles
New chain & sprockets front and rear & brake pads both front and rear
Leo Vinci carbon fiber slip-ons
Speedymoto belt pulley cover (matching counter shaft sprocket cover on reverse side)
Speedymoto wheel sliders
Speedymoto frame sliders
Rizoma Track77 led front signals
Vizi-tech custom integrated led rear brake light & signals
CRG adjustable levers
CRG lane split mirrors
Divina riser cap
Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder
Carbon fiber headlight mounting brackets
Ducati Performance Comfort Seat and the stock seat also comes with the sale which sits two
Ducati OEM seat cowl (Dark)
Custom powder coating (headlight ring, rear swing arm, rear brake lever, shift lever, foot pegs, rear sets)
Corsair billet rear axle adjustment plate
Custom powder coating of both right & left engine covers.
Battery was replaced last year and is always on tender when not in use the bike starts right up
Oil/filter changed last week

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Belts are WAY overdue, so plan on $150 immediately for new belts if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Yorik is right on the money; the 750 dark was the lowest cost entry level Monster. But almost any monster will bring close to $4k these days even when they need work. Personally I dont think its the right bike for you given your last bike. I'd hold out for a 06 or newer S2R 1000 or an S4RS if you can swing around $8K. I think you'll be much happier. And look for a bike with under 10,000 miles there are plenty of them out there.

Ducati maintenance is expensive and it needs to be done, it's just part of ownership.

As far as leg room, the monster will be somewhat better but it still has high pegs. If you need more leg room the Streetfighter has the greatest peg to seat distance. Both bikes will be more upright than the GSXR.

Good luck, hope you find the right bike
Should have mentioned my budget is going to be about 3800 max. Selling my Gixxer for 3600, then I can add about $200. So thats where Im at for budget.

Belts are WAY overdue, so plan on $150 immediately for new belts if you do it yourself.
Whats the interval for belts? Maybe thats why its been for sale for almost a month. When I contacted him he said he had someone coming to look at it later that day. But that might have just been a tactic to get me to hurry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres also a 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with 9900 miles for $3999 Im looking at as as well. Seems like a better deal? I could probably talk them down to 3700-3800.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Seems like a better deal, yes, but it's all got to start with proper ergos, doesn't it ? Seat to peg distance isn't that good on some Monsters. I am short , 30" inseam, and I would be more comfortable with lower pegs on my S4RS. It's ok, but all day riding might get uncomfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like a better deal, yes, but it's all got to start with proper ergos, doesn't it ? Seat to peg distance isn't that good on some Monsters. I am short , 30" inseam, and I would be more comfortable with lower pegs on my S4RS. It's ok, but all day riding might get uncomfortable.

Im 5"11", with shortish legs. Ill pretty much know once I sit on one. My days of all day riding or few and far between. Just want something I can go around town on, and hit the back twisties once in awhile.

·
Bon Vivant
11,300 Posts
all of that stuff is nice but not really worth much to increase the bike's value. Its pretty typical of most used ducs. An S2R800 is a better starting point but I'd still hold out for a 1000. The 800 will have about the same power as your SV, the 1000 will be significantly better. Personally I just wouldn't buy the Dark, all of the components are cheap as possible and the S2R has much better brakes, suspension, wheels etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all of that stuff is nice but not really worth much to increase the bike's value. Its pretty typical of most used ducs. An S2R800 is a better starting point but I'd still hold out for a 1000. The 800 will have about the same power as your SV, the 1000 will be significantly better. Personally I just wouldn't buy the Dark, all of the components are cheap as possible and the S2R has much better brakes, suspension, wheels etc.
Thank you very much. The S2R800 might just be the one. Great forum. So helpful. Having a forum like this is great. Especially since Ill be a duc noob. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Belts are overdue, as stated by others, and should have been done with the valves as part of a major service. Not doing it speaks to a guy who couldnt afford the service for this bike.. not good. Reduce price by the retail value for the belts portion of the service for a desmo-due [two-valve] engined Monster. I'd say perhaps estimate value at $3000?

Or.. Lots of Monsters in the Bay Area, so take your pick of the cream of the crop. This one's too expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Belts are overdue, as stated by others, and should have been done with the valves as part of a major service. Not doing it speaks to a guy who couldnt afford the service for this bike.. not good. Reduce price by the retail value for the belts portion of the service for a desmo-due [two-valve] engined Monster. I'd say perhaps estimate value at $3000?

Or.. Lots of Monsters in the Bay Area, so take your pick of the cream of the crop. This one's too expensive.
Thanks. I agree now that I know a bit more thanks to you guys. Like I said the other one I am now looking at is a 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with 9900 miles for $3999. Ill list the the ad info below. Im sure I can talk him down a bit. What do you think is a fair price for this one? Pic added also.

Ad info:

It has 9,900 miles (I don't commute with the bike). Clean title.

This bike is a blast to ride and is a great all-around bike: enough power to bomb on the open road, enough delivery to launch out of tight turns and enough finesse to navigate city streets.

-In very good condition, I keep in garage storage, never been dropped
-Good service history (and proof) with 6k major check-up. I just replaced the starter motor and battery 2 months ago
-Engine, tires, chain all in good shape and no need of replacing
-Modded tail pipe and fender

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
$3800 is not a lot to work with, however if it can be done fall/winter is the season to buy. Fortunately or unfortunately, the market has been on the upswing for the past 5 years or so even for older entry-level Ducs, and you won't see much under $3500 even if it needs a lot of work. As others have noted, periodic maintenance is a bit more costly on a Duc (if you have others do it) and you can easily be on the hook for a few grand if the previous owner hasn't done the required PM. However, working on an air-cooled 2V Ducati motor is about as easy as it gets. You can change your belts in an hour easily, and you can do the valves yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined and can follow directions... it is not rocket science and you do not need a chestful of expensive exotic tools. A very general list of things that often need to be looked after when buying an older Ducati are, in no particular order:

oil and filter change
air filter clean/change
replace fork oil
check/adjust valves
replace timing belts
replace spark plugs
new battery
new tires - regardless of tread if they're over 4 years old the rubber will have hardened significantly
flush brake and clutch lines with new fluid
front fork seals (tend to leak if the bike has not been used for multiple seasons)
chain/sprockets - these can last a long time IF the chain is regularly cleaned and lubricated... many people just don't do this and they'll end up getting 5K miles before replacement is necessary
brake pads - many people just never check them until they're making a bad noise and it's too late

I usually figure I'm going to spend $1000 on most any used bike I buy in that $2-4K range, anything less than that and I'm happy but don't expect to buy a bike at that price point and ride it with no maintenance without running into some mechanical/safety issues. With a good shop manual and some basic tools you can safe a lot of money, and folks on this forum are super generous sharing their experience and helping out with troubleshooting, maintenance, and answering any technical questions you may have.

Monsters are nice commuter bikes... they are reasonably light, low to the ground and have a decent upright riding position. I just got rid of my sportbike a couple of months ago... wasn't comfortable for around-town, couldn't carry anything, people were scared to ride on the back of it. I'm on an older Multi now and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$3800 is not a lot to work with, however if it can be done fall/winter is the season to buy. Fortunately or unfortunately, the market has been on the upswing for the past 5 years or so even for older entry-level Ducs, and you won't see much under $3500 even if it needs a lot of work. As others have noted, periodic maintenance is a bit more costly on a Duc (if you have others do it) and you can easily be on the hook for a few grand if the previous owner hasn't done the required PM. However, working on an air-cooled 2V Ducati motor is about as easy as it gets. You can change your belts in an hour easily, and you can do the valves yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined and can follow directions... it is not rocket science and you do not need a chestful of expensive exotic tools. A very general list of things that often need to be looked after when buying an older Ducati are, in no particular order:

oil and filter change
air filter clean/change
replace fork oil
check/adjust valves
replace timing belts
replace spark plugs
new battery
new tires - regardless of tread if they're over 4 years old the rubber will have hardened significantly
flush brake and clutch lines with new fluid
front fork seals (tend to leak if the bike has not been used for multiple seasons)
chain/sprockets - these can last a long time IF the chain is regularly cleaned and lubricated... many people just don't do this and they'll end up getting 5K miles before replacement is necessary
brake pads - many people just never check them until they're making a bad noise and it's too late

I usually figure I'm going to spend $1000 on most any used bike I buy in that $2-4K range, anything less than that and I'm happy but don't expect to buy a bike at that price point and ride it with no maintenance without running into some mechanical/safety issues. With a good shop manual and some basic tools you can safe a lot of money, and folks on this forum are super generous sharing their experience and helping out with troubleshooting, maintenance, and answering any technical questions you may have.

Monsters are nice commuter bikes... they are reasonably light, low to the ground and have a decent upright riding position. I just got rid of my sportbike a couple of months ago... wasn't comfortable for around-town, couldn't carry anything, people were scared to ride on the back of it. I'm on an older Multi now and couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks so much for this. This makes me want to get one even more. I watched some videos about changing belts, etc. And I most certainly can do this type of maintenance. And having a helpful forum like this adds even more. Got a few people interested in my GSXR and the guy with the S2R contacted me and still has it. Look forward to it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks so much for this. This makes me want to get one even more. I watched some videos about changing belts, etc. And I most certainly can do this type of maintenance. And having a helpful forum like this adds even more. Got a few people interested in my GSXR and the guy with the S2R contacted me and still has it. Look forward to it.
As I said, the further we get into fall (or winter!) the lower the bike prices tend to go. Be patient, something will come along that's exactly what you want. I personally would choose performance upgrades (suspension, big bore kits, header/exhaust systems, TuneBoy/PC) over flashy farkles (carbon fiber bits, aftermarket turn signals, DP Italian suede heated dick-warmer, etc.) but that's just me... lotta' people love their farkles and there's absolutely nothing wrong with spending your money on whatever you want.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts