Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've experienced it myself, my '10 MultiStrada had a main bearing fail some time ago, therefore destroyed the engine in the process. Does anybody know if that issue was limited to the Multi model or could, lets say an 1198 from the same year, face the same risk of premature destruction due to same failure as I believe the motor is the same? I'm considering the purchase of a '10 1198S but I just remembered what I went through after first failure and am not interested in a repeat.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Any ball bearing can fail and it can be for various reasons. Mains are ball bearing so first lets make sure you are talking mains and not big end of the rod .

I have changed bad mains from the bikes in the 90's,2000 and 2010's so it is not a design flaw as much as a defect in one of a few areas.
1. assembly = too loose or too tight and you can prematurely wear out a bearing as the bearing load changes.
2. abuse = leaving oil in the motor that has a high concentration of combustion byproducts (blowby) can and will etch the steel and when you add the high loading of a main it can cause the bearing or race to degenerate. If your oil is black and it was not that way when it was put in do not store it that way long term.
3. defective part= Ducati does not make the bearings and they are not poor quality but every thing that is made can have a defect and some just have the bad luck to get those.

There are examples of similar bearings in motors lasting very long times (250,000 miles in a m900) but I have changed them in as little as 5,000 miles (m750) there is no way to know if you will be unlucky but if I am looking at a bike I try to buy one that has been maintained well be it by dealer or owner and then at least the odds are in your favor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts