Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about how tight the front brakes should be when released, or sitting static. With the front wheel off the ground and the brake calipers removed from the wheel, it spins completely free. With the calipers on, the brakes apply and feel great. But, with the brake lever normally released, I try to spin the wheel and there is definate resistance. With a pretty good amount of effort when I try to spin the wheel, all I can get is about one and a half revolutions from the wheel. Does this seem normal?? Is something not releasing far enough?? Are there adjustments that can be made?? Nothing feels abnormal going down the road but sure seems like this would rob some good ol hp?? Compared it to my SS, and the front wheel spins quite a substantially bit easier!!

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
Sounds about normal. You could, very carefully with a large flat blade screwdriver, push the pistons back into thier bores and pump them back out a couple times to make sure they're free, but otherwise, you're fine. BTW, I do this once in a while just because.

When the bike is on the road, the spinning rotor and vibration and whatnot all conspire to help the pistons retract a hair. If you were to go for a ten minute ride and never once touch the front brake, then test the wheel spin again, you would see it spinning much free-er. Freer. More free?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
My front wheel didn't spin very well but then I fitted STM floating buttons on the rotors and now it spins much more freely but some drag is normal.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuckracer said:
Sounds about normal. You could, very carefully with a large flat blade screwdriver, push the pistons back into thier bores and pump them back out a couple times to make sure they're free, but otherwise, you're fine. BTW, I do this once in a while just because.
I did this last night. All pads and pistons move fine and didn't detect any binding. The restricted rotation returned right after pumping a couple of times but like you said, no worse or anything like that.

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
"I fitted STM floating buttons on the rotors and now it spins much more freely..."

Yeah, that's the whole point for floating rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts