Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start up my 2000 996 today and the clutch stopped spinning with a clack sound as I first started it. Tried a few more times, and realized there was smoke coming off the positive batterycable.... hot as hell! She's been running great and rustling up autumn leaves all over the mountains lately.. Battery is fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can try looking on the back of the starter relay on the right side of the battery box, there is a white plastic tab that likes to back out. This happened to me, my bike was running fine while out running around, i tried to re start and smoke was coming from the pos. terminal wire. I now have zip tied the connector in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no dice. I put it in gear and tried to roll the engine a bit and then it tried to turn over but then locked? again and the wire started heating up again. any suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your startermay be grounding inside or the hot wire to starter from solinoid is grounding, just not enough to pop the inline fuse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You've got a dead short somewhere. It's drawing amps really bad. If it's melting the battery cable you should be extremely carefull, this is fire territory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Update... Tried to roll it off to start it but it seems locked. Sixth gear just drags the rear tire so I was able to get it to roll free in reverse then hit the starter and it tried to crank and then locked again. Is this my engine actually locking up or what am I in for here? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
724 Posts
OK Update... Tried to roll it off to start it but it seems locked. Sixth gear just drags the rear tire so I was able to get it to roll free in reverse then hit the starter and it tried to crank and then locked again. Is this my engine actually locking up or what am I in for here? Thanks everyone!
Check to see if a timing belt broke? Sounds like a hard lock up like valve interference possibly.. Hope not!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok yellow blur, I checked the belts, they are fine, pulled plugs, they are fine. Looked down past the butterflies, everything is nice and shiny.. I can roll the rear wheel in sixth gear around one way until it locks and then back the other way until it locks again. I guess I'm too far in over my head. Thanks everyone for the help. Anything else before I put it all back and find a mechanic???

·
Registered
724 Posts
ok yellow blur, I checked the belts, they are fine, pulled plugs, they are fine. Looked down past the butterflies, everything is nice and shiny.. I can roll the rear wheel in sixth gear around one way until it locks and then back the other way until it locks again. I guess I'm too far in over my head. Thanks everyone for the help. Anything else before I put it all back and find a mechanic???
Not sure about the starter being bad (could be) if the engine is locking up in both directions when it is possibly stopping in the same spot. Sounds like something is stopping rotation. - broken gear tooth somewhere?? You should be able to continue turning the engine over -- I know turning it over with the rear wheel is more of a struggle then using the engine turning tool.

With the plugs out (just to eliminate any resistance from compression) can you turn the engine over more then once without it coming to a hard stop?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ron, I will take the plugs out tomorrow morning. I could have ridden today had the bike been running it was 55 degrees. This time last week I was ice skating in the same spot and it was zero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts