Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya folks,

Just picked up my new MTS 1200 S Touring yesterday with the full Termi installed on delivery by the dealer. Absolutley love the bike, but I have a question - or more a concern. I was warned about the popping and cackle on decel and was expecting it having owned many Harley's with straight pipes, but this does seem a bit excessive and unpredictable. It's even backfired through the airbox a few times which gave me cause for alarm. This suggests a fueling issue to me which seems odd seeing as it comes with the race ECU and was supposed to have been tuned by the dealership.

Anyone else experience this sort of issue with the full Termi? Should this even out over the next few days as I put on more miles? Any recomedations to try and smooth this out?

Tempted to take it back to the dealership and see if they can fix it or at least take out the backfire from the airbox.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Take it back. It's running lean and may also have air leaks in the exhaust fittings.
Not so sure about that but it's a possibility. Although backfiring into the airbox is not normal. Safe bet is to have your dealer check it out. Mine does it but so have virtually all other Ducs I've owned...to one degree or another. Just as an fyi, I just put my db killer back in and it doesn't do it as much and isn't as loud when it does.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take it back. It's running lean and may also have air leaks in the exhaust fittings.
It could be, but man it smells rich. I mean it is seriously noticeable especially on start and while it is idling, it just hangs in the air. Throttle response is good though so it's not so rich that it bogs down and my ST4S runs hotter at the same speeds and ambient air temperature.

I would have thought if it was lean it would run hotter and the raw fuel smell would be less noticeable. Just an assumption though.

Thanks for the responses so far!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Check for leaks

Then stick a set of fat ducs on the bike. Gets rid of almost all the lean pop on decel and smooths out the fueling. If you don't like them send them back. U will like them.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
take it back. It's running lean and may also have air leaks in the exhaust fittings.
+1

I've got the same set up and don't have all the decel cackle going on. My bike runs fantastic. Sounds as if you've got some air leaks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Frozn. There is so much on this topic here and on Multistrada.ms. Here is a summary I have posted elsewhere: (I have the full Termi too)
"Need to be careful which year MST’s we are talking about (I think).
The later ones switched to the Mitsubishi ECU and (as far as I know) apart from authorised dealers doing ‘factory’ updates to that ECU, it can only be ‘reflashed’ with a new map by very few people…and they are well reported on other threads. I wanted to go 100% ‘open-loop’ and get rid of the O2 input. CJS racing in the UK did the ECU for me (also to get rid of the warnings) and they flashed a map they had developed for the later MST’s, and in my case, with the full race Termi. Now all credit to Chris at CJS, he pointed out that his map was only likely to be a ‘base line’ as these engines all seem very different, not to mention the ‘ambient’ conditions. (UK to Malaysia, VERY different). If you take your bike to CJS then he will ‘fine tune’ his map to your bike on his dyno. Well…his ECU made a significant difference but my dyno man said there was still significant room for improvement, especially with the torque in the lover rev range, but as he could not ‘get into’ the Mitsubishi ECU, it had to be a PCV. I had that fitted, and he spent many hours doing each cylinder individually…and the improvements are VERY significant. The ‘backfire’ has gone…reduced to a nice ‘popping’, sometimes, mainly on decel in second gear, (which my dyno man says he can work on) but the biggest factor is the torque at the lower/mid revs has been significantly increased…and ‘smoothed’, and makes the bike much much better in the city, and in fact, everywhere!!"

I will add that some people have had good results with the quick and easy Fatduc solution BUT...that can only be a 'band aid'. The fatduc seems to be little more than a potential divider giving a fixed perctantage reduction in the output of the O2 sensor...so you really can't expect that to 'tune' the bike.

Get it to a good dyno man...but all the info is you MUST check each cylidner individually...so no good just stuffing the sampling pipe up the exhaust. I had very significant differences between front and rear.

It's taken me six weeks of toil, worry and money but now the bike performs MUCH better at low revs....so to all those who told me 'it's a Ducati...you have to rev it'...no sirs...you have to get it tuned right...then it's smooth at low revs, pulls from low revs and just has 'nice' popping on some decel.

I wish you luck!!! Nick

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh...I forgot to mention...many people (including me) have found the Termi system leaks. The header nuts are NOT very tight...10nm....that aint much...everyone over-tightens them. (And you can't get a Q-wrench on all of them). Mine leaked badly where the pipe goes into the box...which actually probably would not make much of a difference (compared to a leak in the header pipes). In the end my dealer used a high temp silicon....which has stopped the leak...but I will let him get the box off when I need a tyre change!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi hi hi, i have been advice that this mod is an off road or circuit mod. So that beast is free an popping, cracking and barking. Mine is cut. Oh boy loud machine are safe one. Tratratra pif paf. Grrrrrr. And my mecanique told me to change oil often because with those ajustments, it will spit in the pan and in the carb to. Love that beast:D More maintenance that all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi hi hi, i have been advice that this mod is an off road or circuit mod. So that beast is free an popping, cracking and barking. Mine is cut. Oh boy loud machine are safe one. Tratratra pif paf. Grrrrrr. And my mecanique told me to change oil often because with those ajustments, it will spit in the pan and in the carb to. Love that beast:D More maintenance that all.
Wow. I can appreciate the language barrier, but the carb?

Nickpilot's advice is bang on. Proper mapping (individual cylinders) makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
+1

I've got the same set up and don't have all the decel cackle going on. My bike runs fantastic. Sounds as if you've got some air leaks
same here

and check the fitting from the mid pipe to the muffler. I had to refit mine, as it was leaking there.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh...I forgot to mention...many people (including me) have found the Termi system leaks. The header nuts are NOT very tight...10nm....that aint much...everyone over-tightens them. (And you can't get a Q-wrench on all of them). Mine leaked badly where the pipe goes into the box...which actually probably would not make much of a difference (compared to a leak in the header pipes). In the end my dealer used a high temp silicon....which has stopped the leak...but I will let him get the box off when I need a tyre change!
They prolly should have just replaced the exhaust gaskets. Yes there are such a thing. They are usually soft copper or bronze and they deform when you install the exhaust. They should get replaced when you put on a new exhaust to prevent your issue.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Exhaust gaskets?? The only gaskets with the whole termi system are the header pipes to head...and they are not copper. What other gaskets are you referring to?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it up to MCC where I purchased it from and had them do a bit of tweaking to it. Apparently they richened up the rear cylinder a bit and that seemed to cure the problem. I assume they are referring to the air bleed on the throttle bodies? They said the front was full seated and the read had a bout 1 turn left if it needed a bit more. I assume fully seated is full rich for that cylinder?

Runs a lot better now, not spitting and farting as much. Hasn't backfired through the air box again either. Hopefully problem solved, but I would like to understand the adjustment they made a bit better and where on the throttle body it is located.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sometimes popping can be because the (rich F/A ratio) gas is igniting in the muffler even though the bike is not running lean.
That said, check the tune because you won't know if it's lean in the cylinder or not until you do and the consequences can be very expensive.

I have a Bazzaz system fitted and my bike rarely to never backfires or pops under deceleration now with LV mid pipe and muffler fitted.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Air Bleed on throttle body

Anyone can tell me more about the air bleed that was mentioned? Can't seem to find it in the workshop manual (but I never can find what I'm looking for there!). All info on what it does and how it's adjusted is welcome...though I guess you need to be monitiring the exhaust to meaningfully adjust anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts