Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Soon after I bought my GT1000 I came across the DucEditor thread about drilling out the baffles to get rid of the sewing machine sound the bike makes. So I drilled 4 holes in each baffle and the sound is much improved.

However, now on deceleration I get a little popping. Its not Moto GP popping or even Harley popping but its there. My question is: Since this is most likely caused by the bike running to lean, can this damage the bike continuing to ride like this?

Besides the popping the bike runs great, and runs even better after I got it back from the first service. I just dont want to cause any damage to the bike.

On a side note: When I took it for service and had the initial walk through with the head tech he noticed that I drilled the baffles out. He wasn't to happy about, but was very polite, and in a nice way, said thats the kinda thing you do on old Honda's etc... Needles to say I felt stupid about doing it, and felt I cheapened the bike. I guess I just fast-tracked myself to some Termi's which I was trying to put off this expense by drilling the baffles in the first place. But I digress....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of termis. They sound better, look better, and the bike performs better. And you will feel better... :D

I don't think the popping can damage anything...

best,
D.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Pride of ownership is important, What others think? Nah. Well at least to me. Siince age, I don't know? Two maybe?

Replacing the stock cans with Termis has both advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side they are nicer looking and lighter. Some would say they sound "better" too. But with the baffles out they are just too loud for many of us, and with the baffles in they sound about a soulful as the stock cans. To that add a major decrease in MPG. -Not important to some, but quite important to others who, like me, like to ride where gas stations can be few and far in between.

As to their running better, well that all depends. They certainly can produce more power and make the DS motor more what it really should be. But with the 02 Manipulator my bike runs perfectly for the type of riding I do - and indeed, for the type of riding the GT1000 was really designed to do.

The exhaust mod is not an ideal solution, it is just an inexpensive way to get more sound without any real negatives (aside from frowning whomevers).

The popping will do no harm - it isn't created by the exhaust mod, it just becomes more apparent. And it can be easily eliminated with Jason's 02 Manipulator.

Obviously all this is just one man's opinion. :)

-don

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Termi's is still a ways away in my list of things to do. I am happy with the sound I getting after the holes, I just do not want to cause any damage. But as some of you have already said no harm will come.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You might tighten your exhaust manifold bolts to make sure they are tight enough. Exhaust leaks can cause popping, even on my Termis...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Guys,

Soon after I bought my GT1000 I came across the DucEditor thread about drilling out the baffles to get rid of the sewing machine sound the bike makes. So I drilled 4 holes in each baffle and the sound is much improved.

However, now on deceleration I get a little popping. Its not Moto GP popping or even Harley popping but its there. My question is: Since this is most likely caused by the bike running to lean, can this damage the bike continuing to ride like this?

Besides the popping the bike runs great, and runs even better after I got it back from the first service. I just dont want to cause any damage to the bike.

On a side note: When I took it for service and had the initial walk through with the head tech he noticed that I drilled the baffles out. He wasn't to happy about, but was very polite, and in a nice way, said thats the kinda thing you do on old Honda's etc... Needles to say I felt stupid about doing it, and felt I cheapened the bike. I guess I just fast-tracked myself to some Termi's which I was trying to put off this expense by drilling the baffles in the first place. But I digress....
I reckon there would be a lot of folk that would be willing to part with the stock cans that are taking up space in the garage.......if your worried about your mods. :eek: Just buy a FATDUC and enjoy the bike...it's a great sound that motor! I reckon there are much better sounds and looks than the termis at a lesser premium...but that's just my .02c worth!

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tightening manifolds:
Depending on the day when I warm my bike up I get a couple drips of water leaking were the slip-on meets the header. Does that need to be tightened or sealed?

FatDuc:

Is there only one FatDuc for all new Ducati's? My friend has one off a Hyper that he is selling that I will buy if it is compatible with the Sport Classics.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I run termis with slightly modified baffles and i am happy…

the DP ECU has to be adjusted properly and then the engine runs perfect without consuming sigificantly more gas.

Loud pipes may be funny for a short ride, but after 6-8 hours they are a pain in the ass…

My LeMans is really loud and people riding behind me have not been amused for too long:D

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
I get a couple drips of water leaking were the slip-on meets the header. Does that need to be tightened or sealed?
The most common backfire situation is that a newly-installed exhaust pipe or slip-on is not fitting properly. Aftermarket and OEM pipes are not a precision fit and often they let in combustion air that, when mixed with unburned fuel, results in the fuel being burned in the muffler. If this is the case, disassemble and use a high temperature silicon sealant at the joint to the slip-on to keep the air out and the water in.

I recommend Permatex Ultra-Copper high temp RTV silicone gasket maker #101BR for the aftermarket slip-on system joints. Good to 700˚F intermittent. Available in auto parts stores.

·
Registered
267 Posts
FatDuc:

Is there only one FatDuc for all new Ducati's? My friend has one off a Hyper that he is selling that I will buy if it is compatible with the Sport Classics.

Thanks
Definitely check the various joints for leaks. The most common place is where the silencers clamp on to the headers and the other place to check is the crossover joint. Make sure the sealant you use is sensor safe.

There is only one model of O2 Manipulator currently available for Ducati. The one on your friend's Hyper will work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts