Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My beloved Hyper is having issues. It's hard starting and when it does run, it struggles to idle and has no power under load.

I suspect a fuel filter, but the exhaust valve doesn't go through the test cycle when the key is turned on and I suspect I may have a wiring issue. I haven't downloaded any faults yet, the battery was low so I had to charge it. I did however swap out the cams ECU with the stock ECU and the exhaust valve actuated and kicked out a check engine light with a 23.4. Weird. I suspect maybe the battery was too low perhaps, still working it. Who knows if it's a charging issue yet.

This is my question though; if I actually do have a bad ECU, can I expect the same performance that the DP cams ECU gives if I use the stock ECU with a Power Commander V?

I'm starting to stress out a little bit because I'm using this bike to ride from Austin to Vegas For MotoGP, so if this ECU is toast, I'm going to pay for expedited shipping on the PCV (or Bazzaz), so that's why I ask now before fully diagnosing the problem fully.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I swapped in the stock ECU, started the bike up and got a 22.2, Lambda (O2 sensor) heater error. I don't think I have that as the plug is dead ended with a cap on it. Haha. The exhaust valve cycle is intermittent with the stock ECU as well.

Shot the four wires from the exhaust valve to the dash were all good. Put the DP ECU back in, cleared all DTCs, fired bike up, still no exhaust valve cycle and still runs like crap.

I ran every test from the VDST program, have good spark and every other test seems ok, fuel pump is spinning away. Spark plugs are clean. Battery is at 13.5vdc when running, so, I'm guessing it's a fuel filter. I thought I had one floating around, but I couldn't find it. I have an extra fuel pump, it was my original that I changed out because the low fuel light stopped working. Well, this is a good time to fix that too, because the replacement assembly stopped working too. So time to order fuel line and a filter and go from there.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Cams ECU is pretty bad if you don't actually have the cams, It adjust the fueling and the TIMING. Best bet would be to flash the DP 2into1 Termi map and tune from there. As for the idle & down on power issues, check your battery terminals. The hypers like to loosen those up or break them off.

t_bare

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the cams and full exhaust with the Termi 2-1-2 silencer. And the 6.4 tank. All wiring checked good. Terminals are good.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well [email protected] balls. I was thinking fuel filter, but when I got the tank and pump pulled, it was no worse than the filter I had on standby.

I did not expect this, but I did a compression test and got 130-140 on the vert and just 90-100 on the horizontal. Bad news.

Time to get some high comp pistons. May need to do some barrel work. Might flow the heads. Will def upgrade all of the shims and collets to MBR stuff and get the pipes ceramic coated.

FML. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1458414304.833429.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1458414315.897639.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well [email protected] balls. I was thinking fuel filter, but when I got the tank and pump pulled, it was no worse than the filter I had on standby.

I did not expect this, but I did a compression test and got 130-140 on the vert and just 90-100 on the horizontal. Bad news.

Time to get some high comp pistons. May need to do some barrel work. Might flow the heads. Will def upgrade all of the shims and collets to MBR stuff and get the pipes ceramic coated.

FML. View attachment 684857 View attachment 684865
Ouch... sorry for the bad news! Any explanation as to why this happened?

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, but no, nothing firm. I figured it's from a lot of high RPM use during high temperatures.

I spoke with Mark at DucShop,very nice fellow. I'm going with Pistal pistons (of course), some head porting....then some fueling work with a PCV. While it's tore down, I'm going to ceramic coat the exhaust black to match my 748.

Will use MBR collets and shims on the reassembly as well.

Only thing I haven't decided on is to swap over the slipper clutch from my 748. I don't ride it that all that often, but I like keeping it in track trim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lots of guys fit a power commander to a stock ecu hoping for improved performance and better low speed running.

But the stock ecu is closed loop below 5000 rpm so th power commander is unable to alter the tune.

Above 5000 the power commanders settings will be effective.

...so my guess would be: your bike will run lean below 5000 with the stock ecu, assuming there are no other issues.
( my understanding is: the hot up ecu adds more fuel to suit the cams and Termis?)

Hope this helps

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I have learned recently that the DP ECU adds too much fuel after 7k, so the PCV can lean it out. I just ordered one, but still need to strip the top end down. Too busy with work and school. Found time to rave this weekend at CVMA though ?

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the cylinders was warped where it required welding before replating? I think since I daily ride this sucker in the Vegas heat I overtemp'd it too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the DP ECU 2-1 flash in my stock ECU

Twin Termis and Mivv headers

Feels OK but I think I'll be going for a dyno tune to make it a bit better

First of all I'm gonna balance the throttle bodies see if it makes much difference

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy all,

Welded and plated horizontal along with the replated vert and the ported heads are on the way back to Vegas. Woot! I may have a running motorcycle in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Spex
1 - 12 of 12 Posts