Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed the wobble shaped washers from the stock brake rotors? Any problems or benefit from doing this? I know this washer is the only thing that makes semi-floating rotors 'semi', and removing them gives you essentially a full floating rotor.

(as a side note, this is on my multi that doesn't have a carrier. The rotor bolts directly to the wheel)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me neither. I had the rotors off anyways (chasing a shudder problem) and thought about leaving the washers out to try for the heck of it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Having full-floaters give you one more cool rattling noise from your duc, and another reason for some random person to ask "is that thing broken?"

The real benefit come with iron disks vs. stainless. I had iron disks on my SS and they were silky smooth with great progression.... speaking of which: Tye, the Brembo HP rotors on your 749, are they stainless or iron?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ya know, I really don't know what rotors I have. They're not the "corse" versions, they're the HP ones. But after re-building the rotors a few weeks ago, I noticed how ridiculously light they were. According to Brembo, they make magnesium carriers, they're expensive, but available. I haven't done a scratch test to see, I'm sure when I drop the bike again, that test will be done for me... :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
comrade moderator
26,768 Posts
Full Floating Rotors allow the wheel to spin more freely. Less drag.

Removing the wave washers will make the rotors full floating, but they will float too much and can bind up on one side of the button or the other and will quickly wear the carriers. If you can pound the washers flat or use some other shim to give the rotors just the slightest amount of play, that's all you want ideally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts