Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always liked the Enduro style tail packs and wanted to have something like that for the Hyper. After not finding what I wanted at the bike shops I decided to create something on my own.

Purchased a camcorder bag from Target for under $20. Then used an electrical plate for the base and mounted it to the seat fastener using a longer bolt. Works like a champ. Holds a few tools, camera, cell phone, hat, toll transponder, etc. Even found one in black and red. :)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
That's brilliant. You should think about making a kit and selling it on E-Bay for those too lazy to get the parts themselves.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

The bolt I used is kind of an oddball size but I had a few from another project.
  • Metric 18-8 Ss Socket Head Cap Screw, M6 Thread, 70mm Length, 1mm Pitch
  • Electical plate you can get at Lowes for $0.86

I was going to get a piece of stock metal and cut it for the base, but the Elec. plate was the perfect size.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
iproto said:
That's sweet!
Is the seat properly held in place however?
Yes, it survived about 20 wheelies on Sunday. :D

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I like it! I've been wanting to put a small bag on the bike but haven't been happy with any of the solutions I've seen so far.

I think I'll stop by Target tonight :)

Debby

·
Registered
862 Posts
I also like it and am going to rip you off. I am running out of pockets. I think a good addition to your design is a thin pad attached to the metal plate with some Velcro for easy access to the bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
great f-ing idea! I am doing mine this weekend!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
+1 ...... just saw that.... thanks man :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Here is another option for the actual bag. I am mounting mine essentially the same way but I used an actual Cortech Mini Tank bag. This way if I need to swap to the tank I can. I leave the straps ready for use at the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have one of those mini Cortech bags and they are great for short day runs. So you mentioned having it ready to run on the tank. How do you do that? I can't recall mine having any kind of attachment to use. Then again I ain't at my house to go out and look at it right now. Let me know if you think you can get it on the tank. I need to carry my Sirius Stilletto, amp, wallet, and phone and it needs to be near the bars so I can run my radar detector off the amp so it is split to my ears.

Thanks!

Out!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have one of those mini Cortech bags and they are great for short day runs. So you mentioned having it ready to run on the tank. How do you do that? I can't recall mine having any kind of attachment to use. Then again I ain't at my house to go out and look at it right now. Let me know if you think you can get it on the tank. I need to carry my Sirius Stilletto, amp, wallet, and phone and it needs to be near the bars so I can run my radar detector off the amp so it is split to my ears.

Thanks!

Out!
I use the straps that are included with the bag. This is the old school non magnetic bag and if you have the magnetic version then you would not have these straps and would be unable to use it. I'm just guessing but that sounds like your situation. Of course you could maybe rig something up with a little work however.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah, mine is magnetic. I guess I will need a second bag if I can't come up with a way to rig it to the tank.

Out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, mine is magnetic. I guess I will need a second bag if I can't come up with a way to rig it to the tank.

I purchased one of these cortech bags on ebay and had it sent from the states to Ireland (not available in europe). I liked the look of it and the quality also looked good. When I recieved it quality of manufacture is top class and it does look good. but the strap fixing to the tank is not good, when you remove it to carry it with you the rubber tank proector also has to be removed and carried with you and straps left lying loose on your bike, messy, not a good design. If I had the chance again I would buy the same bag but with magnetic fixing and mount a metal plate to the tank cover for easy attachment and removal. I considered fixing it to the rear seat but I have enough trouble getting my leg over the seat as it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rich

I’ve always liked the Enduro style tail packs and wanted to have something like that for the Hyper. After not finding what I wanted at the bike shops I decided to create something on my own.

Purchased a camcorder bag from Target for under $20. Then used an electrical plate for the base and mounted it to the seat fastener using a longer bolt. Works like a champ. Holds a few tools, camera, cell phone, hat, toll transponder, etc. Even found one in black and red. :)

Thanks for the photos and response. It is obvious we think alike and your idea confirms I am on the right track. I am going to use the Nelson Rigg CL-75S for a pack and a piece of Lexan for the base. I am assuming the one bolt will hold it. Think I need any velcro on the bottom the bag to support the bag?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts