Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 SuperSport 750, 7000 miles. It's due for a valve adjustment, I can hear them ticking at high revs when the engine's warm.

I walked out to my bike after work yesterday and was greeted by the following:

Upon closer inspection I found a pool of oil behind the vertical cylinder, picture below:

I can't seem to find any cracks or anything, so is it safe to assume that I have a leaky base gasket? The bike runs fine and thus far still has plenty of oil in the sight window - Do these bikes have crankcase vents or did I overfill it and this is the penalty?

Assuming it is the base gasket, how big a job is it to change? I haven't opened the repair manual yet, it's in my friend's garage. From looking at the way the motor sits in the frame, I'm thinking I need to drop the motor to do this kind of job. Anybody have something like this done? Is it a lot of hours of labor? Since the bike is air cooled and only one cylinder has to come off I don't think it would be _that_ hard for somebody who actually knows what they're doing, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just recently picked up a 900ss with a similar looking situation. Oil was pooling around those area's in the case. I would first check the oil level and the crankcase breather for a leak (that would be alot easier than a rebuild) Degrease the engine and then start it up and let it idle and look for the source of the oil. if its a base gasket you shouldn't see any oil from further up on the engine but if its like my 900 it'll start dripping out b/t the vertical cylinder jug and the head (but a headgasket will be easier to fix than a base gasket :) still it'd be more fun to be riding it than fixing it :(

good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been told that Ducati used a paper gasket that is prone to failure with age and that this is the result when they do fail.
Whatever it is, I hope you can get it repaired without a lot of cost.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
The base gasket, if used, is metal. I don't use them on my ST2, as that way I cot the correct squish.

Typically, the problem is at the head joints, which on a 2V also don't have a gasket, just some o-rings and such.

Could also be the breather, but a 2001 shouldn't have a leaky breather.

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe it's the o-ring under the cylinder. Ducati used regular o-rings in earlier models and those are prone to leak. You can replace them with viton o-rings. They won't leak. You don't have to lift of the head to get it changed. Just loose bolts, lift cylinder and head a bit and replace it. I changed every rubber o-ring to viton ones when i i had my heads ported.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The base gasket, if used, is metal. I don't use them on my ST2, as that way I cot the correct squish.

Typically, the problem is at the head joints, which on a 2V also don't have a gasket, just some o-rings and such.

Could also be the breather, but a 2001 shouldn't have a leaky breather.

Tom
Is there a good fix for the leak at the head joints? I haven't really looked into what to do to mine yet I know I need to clean out some space in the garage to start tearing apart the bike though...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had a similar mess after a 944 kit install that came from pinching the 0-ring that sits on the RHS of the base gasket. The good news was that you can just lever up the head/cylinder on the studs far enough to install that o-ring without removing or rotating the engine (at least on the carbie 900SS engine). Won't work on the head o-rings. Best to be certain where it is coming from before you proceed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2V 944 Had this same leak. It turned out to be the freeze plugs were leaking. They are a press fitted cup shaped plug that are pressed into the oil journals going through the cylinders. There are three of them.

When I decided to go the 944 route my 95SP was in the shop getting some crash damage fixed. The dealer grabbed a pair of cylinders off his shelf to send out to be bored and coated. Big mistake as these were bad and the freeze plugs were just never going to seal with the amount of corrosion around the journal. It was more and more humorous that they kept trying and trying to seal them. Each attempt involved an engine removal from the bike and a cylinder removal from the bike. After the fifth attempt he gave up and bought brand new cylinders.

They tried JB WELD and I believe even tried to weld them in.

I am just saying that that photo could have been my engine. The leak is exact. Good luck. I think you need to pull the cylinder and have the freeze plugs re-installed but check for corrosion around the hole that they go into. You may need to bore them and insert an over-sized one or get a new cylinder.

Have you been thinking of installing a Big-Bore Kit. Now is the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses, I washed the bike yesterday and I'll take a closer look at where the leak may be coming from.

I'm a little intrigued at the big bore kit option, I have never heard of it before. I'll do some searching but feel free to post more info here :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a kit for the 750? All I could find via searches (most of which sent me back here) were kits for the 900.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, $1700 US! That's close to what I paid for the entire bike!

How much of an increase in power does this give? I must suck at searching because I can't find anything. I assume I'd need to remap the ECU and to really get the most out of this, get some aftermarket pipes too?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want real gain in performance buy 900cc or 1000cc SS. With big bore kit you get a bit more torque, but not much HP. Defenetly not worth that price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This type of oil leak happened to me as well and it turned out to be a head stud bolt that was broken. I ended taking the case to a machine shop to get the broken portion taken out. Once fixed, new O rings, new studs everywhere, and all is well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only problem is that if you loosen the head to replace the o ring the head gasket doesn't seal up. It might be better to replace the gasket at the same time as the oil ring. You just need a ring compressor to pput the cylinder back on. Just my opinion, I am having to replace my cylinder so it is not that bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts