Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I've only had a couple sewing machine quiet bikes in almost 20 years on street. The were many more close calls on those (lockups, heart pounding, twitch around a rear fender stuff). Harleys and Ducs do seem to get heard in my experience. So I won't say loud pipes save lives but they have saved some possible accidents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I certainly want to hear my engine growl but open pipes are very annoying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think we're all saying - loud enough to be noticed, but not so loud it's annoying.

My Monster with a Termi pipe is louder than my VFR, and I'm more careful to not rev the piss out of it in neighborhoods. I've had plenty of cagers come too close when I'm on the VFR, I expect that to be somewhat minimized on the Monster.

A cager with the windows up, a/c on, and stereo running likely would "see" me on the VFR, but never "hear" me.
The Monster should get noticed both ways, hopefully waking up a few cagers from their commuting funk.

·
Registered
786 Posts
OK, here in the lane-splitting free world, loud pipes definitely save lives as we filter through the pot smoking, texting, nose picking, radio fiddling, caged numbskulls. YOu cant believe the pot smoke density I lane split through on the Bay Bridge at rush hour! FWIW, if I were a gridlocked 49-stater, my opinion on the safety value of open pipes may likely vary..

PLEASE.. join the rational rest of the known universe: FIGHT FOR LEGAL LANE SPLITTING IN YOUR US STATE. then open up those termis >:)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My Monster 12 sounds good stock to me. But some bikes sound corked up, and just too quiet. My '07 Tuono was in that category stock. Way too quiet, like trying to sneak a fart in public.

It was pretty loud, but not too bad with the GPR slip ons. The '03 Tuono also loud but not too bad with Leo Vince, I have never heard it with the stock pipe.

TLDR. I like to hear the engine music, no need to piss off the neighbors or cops. :grin2:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts