Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Do you prefer to corner left, right or it doesn't matter?

• Prefer to Corner Left

Votes: 63 57.3%
  • Prefer to Corner Right

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I'm great either way

Votes: 26 23.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for years i've preferred to ride 'left' corners - ie. i lean over more, am more aggressive and have more confidence when turning left. (note i'm no stoner...)

Is this normal?
is it because i ride on left hand side of the road?
or am i just strange?:alien:

BTW, i'm forcing myself to ride the right corners harder these days, and i think i'm gradually succeeding... (but i still prefer left)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have the same issue and think it might be something with eye or hand dominance. I had a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor who lives on his bike tell me that he still preferred left curves after 30 years of riding.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I experience the same thing and have also wondered about it.
I'm right handed (and legged if there is such a word), so finding it easier to hang left is not a dominant side thing, for me anyway. A while ago the optometrist did a sneeky test and it turns out my left eye is the dominant one (apparantly we are right or left eyed as well as right or left handed, I'm deliberately ignoring the ambi-eyed-dextrous). Apparently this explains why I was never a marksman, shooting right handed means lining up sights with the wrong eye.
So maybe my left eye lines up things better on that side of the road and makes the left turn the easier one to accomplish. Probably complete rubbish and there is a simpler answer such as riding on the left side of the road... Now there's a good excuse to go to Europe or the States, to research if right corners become the easier ones.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I used to prefer right-hand curves but now prefer left curves. I contribute this to the fact that I have gotten faster, most right curves in the mountains are blind curves, I can usually see through a whole left curve but only portions of a right curve, and after breaking my right femur in three places, my form is better for lefts than rights, and any way I position my body for a right curve always feels awkward.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have the same issue and think it might be something with eye or hand dominance.
yup yup, this is indeed the cause. modify your survey to include which "handedness" people are, and if you really want to be scientific ask which hand they golf, bat, or play hockey with as well. it should split evenly based on handedness/brain & motor cortex dominance with a few odd exceptions here and there.

i am right handed and much prefer left turns
bat right, tennis right, golf left, and hockey left.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sight Lines

While I respect the comments about scientific research into eyes and hands, my opinion is this isn't the real issue. Think sight lines. In America we ride on the right side, so left hand turns are typically easier to see ahead and thus are safer and more confidence inspiring. Taking a right turn on a twisty mountain road at speed can be a nerve-wracking and dangerous exercise in risk taking.

Perhaps those of you who do track days might want to weigh in on this. Tracks are set up for good sightlines left and right, so outside of residual street experience, tracks should offer equal confidence turning either way.

Yes/No?:think:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would buy that. Let's see what our Aussie and Brit friends have to say about that...

While I respect the comments about scientific research into eyes and hands, my opinion is this isn't the real issue. Think sight lines. In America we ride on the right side, so left hand turns are typically easier to see ahead and thus are safer and more confidence inspiring. Taking a right turn on a twisty mountain road at speed can be a nerve-wracking and dangerous exercise in risk taking.

Perhaps those of you who do track days might want to weigh in on this. Tracks are set up for good sightlines left and right, so outside of residual street experience, tracks should offer equal confidence turning either way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From a purely technical point of view, I've reached the point where I have no preference. But I do think the issue of which side of the road you drive on has some relevance. I started riding in the UK and have since moved to the US, but road positioning still affects my attitude to a corner.

On a left hander (US) I might be more comfortable going fast because I can see further, and as long as there's nothing scary at the roadside, the consequences of a low-side may be less bad. I do modify my line so that my head isn't at risk from on-coming traffic cutting corners.

In the end though, I guess every corner has different risks and should be treated accordingly.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree with the points above.

I am right-handed, and, all else being equal, I prefer left turns on the bike, as well as skiing. I am also more comfortable with the sightlines of being able to see what's ahead. That varies both with the direction I'm turning, and with which side of the road has vision obstructed (which side of the road is uphill, and which is downhill).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer cornering left on motorcycle, snowboard (I ride goofy) and car.

I am left-handed when writing, playing tennis, bowling, belaying but right-handed when playing golf, hockey, lacrosse and switch-hit in baseball.

Don't know why.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Site distance is an important factor but I think the greatest is round design. In the US, I would argue most prefer right hand turns because this results in a positive camber. A left hand turn has a slight negative camber because of the crown in the road at the center line. For countries like Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa where people drive on the left the opposite holds true

·
Registered
251 Posts
I definitively prefer right handers... I am in constant fear of a LARGE SUV loaded with kids and a distracted driver coming over the double yellow line:eek:. Don't know it's just me...:think:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I have a friend who is a police officer. He told me that in a chase he can usually count on a motorcyclist to turn left at a "T" intersection because that's an easier turn for the average rider. It might be left turn in the UK or Australia.

I know that a left turn is much easier for me because a left turn is wider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont mind either but that is because the roads where I ride have a great selection of left and right slow and fast corners, I put a lot of time and effort in being able to dive into a right or left hander fast or slow,cant wait for a track day to really bring that out in my riding style,

06 S1K
03 S4

·
Registered
503 Posts
Interesting thread....
I thought I was the only person that is more confident turning left on my bike than right....I have never said anything to anyone about it.

Slow speed full lock turns either way are both the same...dropped my mates speed triple the other day showing off doing full lock turns in a servo!

Steering a car on a track....left or right is no difference.....slow either way...but I struggle to drive a track car that has a steering wheel on the left...changing gears with my right hand feels awkward.

I write left handed, play ALL sport right handed, prefer to masturbate right handed.... :D and my sight is better in my left eye than my right

Hmmm I should go and rest now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
perhaps a little of both

I once ran this survey at a bike night. About 80 folks, differing bikes. It fell about 85/15 preferring lefts (right-handed-to-left-handed was about 90/10, which is typical) and most of the right-preferring folks were left-handed.

However, a left-handed person was more likely to prefer lefts than a righty to prefer rights, so the sight-line argument makes total sense.

On a personal note, I prefer lefts for the sight-lines. But I'm left-handed and I've always scrubbed in the right side of the tire faster. Also, if I'm going to get overconfident and overbaked into a turn, it's almost almost a right. Food for thought, I guess.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My instructor actually said that 99% of people find left turns easier than right hand. I'm right handed, but left hand dominant...I also find left hand turns easier. I also like candle lit dinners and walks along the beach... oh hangon, wait... Wrong site :crazy:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts