Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

satin or polished exhaust??

• Satin

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Polished

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling my 996 apart and doing some maintenance as well as a few up-grades. I have pull my exhaust apart and "cored" it (most just for a little more noise). Now I am cleaning the exhaust up and plan on either polishing it out to a bright finish and nickel plating it or sand blasting it with a light sand and nickel plating it. basically I will end up with a nice chrome like shine or a very clean satin finish. Anyone got any suggestions???

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I manage a nickel plating shop so the plating is FREE.I want to plate the exhaust rather than just polish it because with polished exhaust after time it will start to oxidize or look rusty. The nickel will turn gold too but it will never rust. as far as flaking goes, my nickel process is a little different than chrome plating and doesnt lend to flaking and it can stand temps well above what the header pipe gets. Either way I will be doing the entire system.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buckelew said:
Dude! you're my new best friend. After I get my Champion frame built up, I'll need to take it apart and get it nickel plated........are you in the SF Bay area??? huh? huh?

Sorry Buckelew. Im in Texas, but UPS delivers to Texas too. The nickel I plate isnt as bright as chrome but if the base metal in polished well it can get close to chrome.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Scott. I didnt think I would like the new forum as well as the old one, but its really growing on me

And one more Question to get Ya'll opinion on. I have decided to go with a satin finish. I did some test parts and the nickel over top a piece of pipe that was sand blasted and then sanded lightly with a 500 grit paper looks great.
Amullo bring up the option of black.... I dont really want my pipes black, but what about the muffler sleeve. I could have them powder coated with black hot coat. The would turn out a nice glossy black. Any opinions on that??

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are some pic of nickeling proccess, and the exhaust on my bike. I love the way it turned out, and the black cans look great. I think I might want to replace them with carbon sleeve though

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.