Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Polished

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling my 996 apart and doing some maintenance as well as a few up-grades. I have pull my exhaust apart and "cored" it (most just for a little more noise). Now I am cleaning the exhaust up and plan on either polishing it out to a bright finish and nickel plating it or sand blasting it with a light sand and nickel plating it. basically I will end up with a nice chrome like shine or a very clean satin finish. Anyone got any suggestions???

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
this is an opinion, and since opinions vary take what i say into consideration.

i always thikn that the crome pipse met with the 'copper' look of the middle section and header looks very bad. now if you have and entire chrome exhaust system that's another matter. that might look good. but i don't like chrome, so i can't really say.

there is also the issue of chrome. though i know nothing about it the concept of heat, and flaking comes to mind. again i don't know if heat effects chrome but that would be a consideration if i chromed. somone in this forum knows enough to speak authoratively

satin

·
Registered
372 Posts
if you're going to take the time, i'd polish them and not even bother with a nickle plating. the only thing that will do is keep the polished ss from turning a pretty gold color. if you don't like the gold it comes off with mothers polish...which is what you will be doing fairly often to either polished ss or polished nickle to keep them clean.

if you're firm on the nickle plating, is it really just a nickle plating or or is it a jet-hot sterling type application? if it's the former, i would consider the latter since you will gain some heat benefit and still achieve the nickle polished finish look...and it can't be that much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I manage a nickel plating shop so the plating is FREE.I want to plate the exhaust rather than just polish it because with polished exhaust after time it will start to oxidize or look rusty. The nickel will turn gold too but it will never rust. as far as flaking goes, my nickel process is a little different than chrome plating and doesnt lend to flaking and it can stand temps well above what the header pipe gets. Either way I will be doing the entire system.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
I am pulling my 996 apart and doing some maintenance as well as a few up-grades. I have pull my exhaust apart and "cored" it (most just for a little more noise). Now I am cleaning the exhaust up and plan on either polishing it out to a bright finish and nickel plating it or sand blasting it with a light sand and nickel plating it. basically I will end up with a nice chrome like shine or a very clean satin finish. Anyone got any suggestions???
satin. less pimpy

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
I manage a nickel plating shop so the plating is FREE.
Dude! you're my new best friend. After I get my Champion frame built up, I'll need to take it apart and get it nickel plated........are you in the SF Bay area??? huh? huh?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buckelew said:
Dude! you're my new best friend. After I get my Champion frame built up, I'll need to take it apart and get it nickel plated........are you in the SF Bay area??? huh? huh?

Sorry Buckelew. Im in Texas, but UPS delivers to Texas too. The nickel I plate isnt as bright as chrome but if the base metal in polished well it can get close to chrome.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
"...in Texas" well than you can be my best friend ;) , I was always wanting a satin nickel plated frame too and I have `93 750SS in need of rebuild :)

btw, Satin, I don't like any too shiny on a bike other than paint.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I´d go for satin..

Chrome-look may work on some bikes, but they need to be pretty bright to pull it off.

I like to "no-nonsense" look of satin. It just looks better. I absolutly LOVE black Cheramic-coated exhausts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Kingsnake if you like you may add a poll to this thread by clicking Thread Tools, then "add a poll to this thread" follow the on screen directives and you will be able to see, at a glance, our collective opinion.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Scott. I didnt think I would like the new forum as well as the old one, but its really growing on me

And one more Question to get Ya'll opinion on. I have decided to go with a satin finish. I did some test parts and the nickel over top a piece of pipe that was sand blasted and then sanded lightly with a 500 grit paper looks great.
Amullo bring up the option of black.... I dont really want my pipes black, but what about the muffler sleeve. I could have them powder coated with black hot coat. The would turn out a nice glossy black. Any opinions on that??

·
Registered
372 Posts
i've seen a bike with powdercoated sleeves on the cans and it looked good but wierd at the same time. most likely because it was something i've never seen before.

i'm considering a similar project...i'm having an akra system jet-coated black and am considering having the cans done as well to black out everything.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I polished my last exhaust (45mm Termis) and I liked the look, plus you get all the colours of the heat spectrum when it's done a few miles. But the biggest advantage for me is that polished pipes clean much easier and therefore look better for longer & with less care, satin-look pipes don't stay satin-look for long.

That said, I've not polished my 50mm termis yet, although it is my intention to do so when I eventually get around to doing it...... :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here are some pic of nickeling proccess, and the exhaust on my bike. I love the way it turned out, and the black cans look great. I think I might want to replace them with carbon sleeve though

Attachments

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
King- How have the pipes looked after they got hot? pic?

Another option is to Ceramic Coat them polished, satin, black, grey, etc... Ceramic coat will never change color....something else to consider

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chrome never gets you home. I say, powder coat it black.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts