Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys that took the one on one course...Doug will be racing in the AMA Superbike class this weekend so Tivo it!!! I think he will get smoked but the key will be the first couple laps he might be able to run with those guys...He was the dominant rider in the early 1990's let see how he does nowadays... this should be cool to see him open it up since we only got to see him putt around with us....

From Cycle News....
Four-Time World Champion and AMA Superbike Champion Doug Polen returns to AMA Pro Racing competition this weekend at Road America. Polen will be riding the # 27 4FR Toyota Trucks/GreenAcres.org American Superbike entry to help the team develop set up on the bike and evaluate their program overall.

This is a special project that will see Polen take his vast knowledge and rider know-how to the track where the race and riders are, rather than the norm of riders and bikes coming to him at scheduled school and track. It is a direct line of communication and guidance at the track of choice for those riders and team in need, all in real time.

Over the course of the weekend, Doug will be coaching the younger riders on the team as well as filling in for the injured American Superbike rider Scotty Van Hawk. "This is a great opportunity for the team and I was thrilled that we are able to put this together and that Doug was available. We hope to take what we learn from Doug this weekend and build on our recent top-ten finishes. It's an honor to add him to our roster" said 4FR team principal Scotty Van Hawk.

Doug Polen will use his 1on1 Riders School curriculum to guide the other team riders on and off the track during the weekend. "The 4FR team riders vary greatly in age and experience levels and are a perfect fit for my school program" said Polen. "I'm looking forward to working with them, riding the team's Superbike and help them sort it all out. It should be a great weekend"

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
don't be so sure doug will get smoked ... he can still outride the majority of riders in ama these days.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't be so sure doug will get smoked ... he can still outride the majority of riders in ama these days.
Well I'm hoping he does fantastic, but Doug hasn't been racing in the superbike class in many years, he's on a new bike, and after speaking with him he doesn't work out at all and he is older...I'm not talking raw talent, he has that... I'm talking getting back in race shape and to race pace...

It great to hear the announcing on the speed channel every week with Scott Russel keeps saying how Doug taught him more than anybody about how to race...and Doug this and Doug that... he was a monster back then... I'll be rooting for him but won't have much for expectations...

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Shyeah. :eek:

All due respect to Polen, a very accomplished racer and great champion, but...

Ten seconds off the pace isn't going to do it. Everybody reaches their prime, but what goes up must come down. Kevin Schwantz tried this a couple of years ago, too. Also at Road America, ironically enough. Didn't go so well...

·
Registered
125 Posts

Ten seconds off the pace isn't going to do it. Everybody reaches their prime, but what goes up must come down. Kevin Schwantz tried this a couple of years ago, too. Also at Road America, ironically enough. Didn't go so well...
True, but I don't think Polen has any aspirations beyond helping develop a bike. He's there to lend some knowledge to the team, not try and run with the front group.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Polen was able to dog Neal Hodgson that day you took his school. I was watching the 3Pm session. Neal passed Doug and his student at the end of the session next thing I see him right on his tail dogging him for almost a full lap.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I hope he does well, finish upright and not last. The part that's not right is Polen on a Suzuki :( Number 23 on Ducati 888, that's the way I like it :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Polen isn't trying to make a comeback... just helping, but either way it will be great to see him on the track... he has a real conservative style no big hanging off and minimal inputs is his credo. It will be cool to see that style compared to newer riders.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Polen isn't trying to make a comeback... just helping...
I didn't say he was. I was just responding to the assertion that Polen is currently better than "the majority of riders in AMA", which is a discredit to those riders. The guys who finish in the back half of the grid in Superbike are frikkin' fast, and I just get tired of hearing casual race fans bad mouth them, as if they are just plodding along, getting in the way.

Polen, in his prime, could certainly wipe the floor with almost everyone on today's grid, but nothing lasts forever...

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
59 Posts
I'm looking forward to this too. I agree Polen is an animal and still fast but will be suprised if he keeps Bostrom and Mladin in sight. Hope he does, i think the series needs some more drama!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
What time and channel??? I've looked and couldn't find it. Will it be the usual race this weekend and air it next weekend??

Ciao

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Well I'm hoping he does fantastic, but Doug hasn't been racing in the superbike class in many years, he's on a new bike, and after speaking with him he doesn't work out at all and he is older...I'm not talking raw talent, he has that... I'm talking getting back in race shape and to race pace...

It great to hear the announcing on the speed channel every week with Scott Russel keeps saying how Doug taught him more than anybody about how to race...and Doug this and Doug that... he was a monster back then... I'll be rooting for him but won't have much for expectations...
More than anything the statement he doesn't work out at all says it all. No expectation if thats the case. Obviously hes not there to compete for a podium spot, hes there for another reason, to help his team through another way of teaching. Many of us know what its like to race around the track being out of shape, after one lap I'm done and if I try as hard on the third lap I would likely crash. Being in shape, top shape is a priority to any racer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
59 Posts
Spoiler

Careful if you look up times on SPEED's scheduling lineup online like i did. They post the race winners on the main page so if your looking for the AMA superbike schedule you have to concentrate on NOT looking at the main podium pics/results and go to the small "Schedule" link. I wish they would change this! ha! Now I know who won before even finding the televised time. After breaking my tib/fib in supermoto practice i'm relying on these races to keep my spirits up until i can get back on the bike!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Careful if you look up times on SPEED's scheduling lineup online like i did. They post the race winners on the main page so if your looking for the AMA superbike schedule you have to concentrate on NOT looking at the main podium pics/results and go to the small "Schedule" link. I wish they would change this! ha! Now I know who won before even finding the televised time. After breaking my tib/fib in supermoto practice i'm relying on these races to keep my spirits up until i can get back on the bike!
http://speedtv.com/schedule

Avoid the spoiler, just go there directly.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just saw the first race on T.V. It was wet conditions but not raining .... Doug qualified 24th in a 28 rider field, ...but while watching the race position ticker he was running in 10th for the first 3rd of the race which is great... he eventually dropped back to 12th at the end but that is damn good. I don't know if this was a one race thing or if he will keep racing the rest of the year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts