Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had lower bars on my GT for the last couple summers, the seating position has always felt a little off. I have been wanting to move the pegs back just a bit, and looked at several options, but there aren't many easy solutions. Finally bit the bullet to try some vario pegs by a german company called MFW.

You can find them a couple places around the net. Here's one:
http://ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/2858

The only problem I had was that out of the 8 positions available, of course where I wanted the pegs was right smack in the middle of two of 'em. So...like any good modder....I got out the drill and file and took things into my own hands. I bought a small 1/8" hardened steel dowel pin and marked the spot on the mount and peg that I wanted to line up. Drilled an 1/8" hole into the aluminum, then filed down the notches until flush. I didn't even take the adaptors back off the bike. The machined notches worked as perfect depth guides. This also had the effect of moving the pegs back in about 1/16". Put in the pins and bolted them down. Perfect.

Of course it's a longer reach to the foot levers, but not bad at all with a little adjustment. I then bought some eccentric mount pedal tips from Woodcraft and replaced the stock lever tips by drilling them out. Again, drilled a small hole for the locating pin so the eccentric tip could be set back and up similar to the new footpeg position and mounted them up. The knurling even is a pretty close match for the racing pages. Nice. Got the woodcraft parts here:
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17757

The bike feels much more balanced with even this small adjustment of foot location. A worthwhile mod.

Results:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Very neat !!!

It's amazing how much difference it makes when it is only about an inch or so that you have move the footpags. I found the same thing when I modified my "triangles".

·
Registered
622 Posts
Great post as always Dietrich. I was looking at these pegs myself and wondering how the reach to the controls would be. Don't take this the wrong way, but uh... what size feet do you have? I'm hoping to get away with only modding the pegs and not the control levers.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My feet are about a 9.5 /10 or 44 euro. To be honest, the reach was too far trying to use the pegs in the most rearward position, and the pegs are only raised up in the next position "up". I should also mention that I used the shortest extension, 23mm (about 1") because I felt the reach would be a problem with anything longer.

Another problem with trying to just use the pegs as they come in the back position is that you can feel the offset bracket and peg mount under your foot when trying to shift/brake. With the brackets tilted up you eleiminate this and now I don't feel them at all, so the offset is a non-issue.

If anyone wants to tackle the mod, and is not afraid of drills and files :) , I can give more details on how I did it. It seriously took me 30 minutes to do once I could commit to filling away at my brand new parts. :) Another 30 minutes for the lever tips.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just bought the very same pegs for my StreetFighter.... lots of adjustment and well made.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got the same pegs for my Aprilia. They're very nice quality. I also used Woodcraft's toe pegs and they do match the foot pegs well. The Aprilia toe pegs are already adjustable and Woodcraft's are longer, so they 'follow' the adjustment of the foot pegs pretty closely. I need to do this to my GT, which is a different part number.

A word of caution though. I put silicone grease on the allen head screw that holds the peg assembly together, thinking that would be plenty slippery when I wanted to loosen it and play with different adjustments. I nearly stripped out the head the next time I tried, so this time I used silver anti-seize compound. Much messier, but better lubrication.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So this is a good option to get some adjustability using the stock 'black triangles of doom'??

I'm about to throw some clipons on my GT and a bit concerned about the cramped riding position... maybe an option :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good timing Dietrich

I,m doing exactly the same. Custom clipons to be fitted next week and today I was looking at expensive options for the pegs but these look ideal for a fair price. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What offset option did you get (Choice of 23mm, 30mm or 50mm offset arm)?

And are those the stock shifter and brake levers? If not where are they from?

thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
excellent work dietrich! i cant wait to try this in the off season.

(our forecast calls for snow starting TOMORROW)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What offset option did you get (Choice of 23mm, 30mm or 50mm offset arm)?

And are those the stock shifter and brake levers? If not where are they from?
I went with the shortest option to minimize the distance from the stock lever locations. I used the stock shifter and brake levers because I couldn't find direct replacements that I liked, and simply replaced the lever tips with offset ones from Woodcraft.

What kind of seat is that? Looks like a Corbin but I see that you still have the Ducati logo on the back. Nice.
It's the stock seat, cut down slightly, and recovered by Sargent. I sent them the seat along with a diagram of how I wanted it, and aksed that they salvaged the rear panel with the Ducati logo. They did an awesome job, and it is holding up amazingly well with over 35,000 miles in that saddle. Only wish I would have rounded it off a little bit more. (Oh - and be warned, the stock foam is pretty soft, so if you cut it down to far you will feel the plastic pan below over time....)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your bike looks great at 35k miles! You could go into bike detailing as a side business.

The foot placement is interesting...how tall are you just out of curiosity?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Foot peg options

I was about to order these... and today this thread popped up...
glad to see options but now I have to think... sometimes it's nice when you only can finmd one type.. LOL NO COMPLAINTS

Any one have these????

http://www.customsportclassics.com/dcc011.htm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Size matters

Hi Dietrich,,
good job on finding cool stuff for us all!!
What size would you recommend for a guy that is 6'3" with size 14 feet that rides aggressively and gets a little cramp in his leg sometime on his GT.....

Me that is... I drag my feet and I don't like that and I want to alleviate the crampy feeling but not reduce my clearance. Any Suggestions? 23, 30 or even 50 mm (50 seems a bit much)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Me that is... I drag my feet and I don't like that and I want to alleviate the crampy feeling but not reduce my clearance. Any Suggestions? 23, 30 or even 50 mm (50 seems a bit much)
I wouldn't go any longer than the 30mm unless you're going for a straight drop or straight rise up or down. The problem is you will be too far away from the levers which will make the effort a little harder and als put the lever peg in a strange part of your foot/toe. Unfortunately you have a compounded and conflicting problem: If your feet are scraping you probably want your feet higher up, but if your leg is too cramped then you would think you would want to drop the peg. For me it was more a situation of an awkward position and I wanted my feet slightly back, which also drops you knees slightly.

BTW - The pegs have been working GREAT. Only complaint is that the shifter hits me right on the cuticle of my big toe when wearing my Dianese boots. Not so much with another pair of boots, so I'm thinking of modifying the heel of the boot to allow me to slide my left foot up a few milimeters. Either that or trying to relocate the shift peg back just a little bit more.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Thx

Thanks for the reply...

Hm.... well I see;... funny I fit my Supersport better... I think BACK is the direction I want I'm nowhere near my toe on the shifter it seems like a little bit back maybe down then add the part on the shifter to get the right angle....

I like the way you think... cutting the boot... LOL sometimes I want the heals on the pegs...for a better more comfortable switch... never thought about cutting the boots !!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Finally bit the bullet to try some vario pegs by a german company called MFW.

You can find them a couple places around the net. Here's one:
http://ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/2858
I also bought the rider and passenger set from Ducati Designs. Mr. Paul Geller was a pleasure to do business with and got me my order in 48 hours - outstanding service considering I made the purchase on a Sunday evening :D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts