Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a big-ass roofing nail in my back tire (SF848, 2000 miles) about two inches to the right of center. I've got a new tire on order but it wont be in until at least Wed. I could see plugging a tire on the road, to get home, but I'm honestly not sure about recreational riding on a plugged tire. I'm not going to do it, but wondering if I'm being too careful ? Just curious what you guys think ? :confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've got a big-ass roofing nail in my back tire (SF848, 2000 miles) about two inches to the right of center. I've got a new tire on order but it wont be in until at least Wed. I could see plugging a tire on the road, to get home, but I'm honestly not sure about recreational riding on a plugged tire. I'm not going to do it, but wondering if I'm being too careful ? Just curious what you guys think ? :confused:
I've run a plugged tire at the racetrack on a sbk for speeds of 170+mph.
But it's still your call. (this was a trackday, and not a race)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Can of worms. short answer is yes, safe as a new tire NO. Its really an A to B type fix. If no tire was available it would need a tube. You will get people that have tracked a plugged or patched tire and say its perfectly safe, but if you only need to wait few days i would probably wait it out and enjoy the AC in your car for awhile. Again you could drive a plugged tire for many, many miles but unlike car a motorcycle blow out would be much more dangerous. 2 tires vs 4 and the lack of seat belts and airbags are the biggest differences.

Also damaging your rim would be expensive to replace.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've ridden with a plugged rear tire on my R6 for a season. Did high speeds runs and twisties but always had that concern in my mind and watched the speed.

I agree with previous posts though. Be careful, go slower than usual if you have to ride it, but replace it for piece of mind when you can.

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
It is ok to plug it if it is done properly. See Shazaam's post for more details.

That being said, with 2,000 miles on the tire it is almost time for a new one anyway. No worries on using a plug until the tire arrives.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all-- Sounds pretty safe if its done correctly, although a repair from the inside is not something I could undertake right now. I'll be a pussy and chill until the new tire comes later this week.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thanks all-- Sounds pretty safe if its done correctly, although a repair from the inside is not something I could undertake right now. I'll be a pussy and chill until the new tire comes later this week.
Nothing pussy about. If you have options then you have options. I'm a firm believer of plugs, even over patches for some cases. I plugged my rear fzr tire and rode it for about 2k miles. I did that because it was my only transportation at the time and i was only making $140 a week and couldn't afford a new tire. Another time a used 6 plugs to repair and corvette Zr1 rear tire that had a hole the size of dime in it. It was 10pm on Friday night and everything was closed, it worked and he tipped me $20 for the mission in possible i preformed. And yet another time 4x4ing in death valley my friend got a side hole through the side of the tire, the part that flexes the most. Again i plugged it to get him out of the valley and i told him to replace it when he got home, he didn't drove it for another 30k miles. Those little plugs are great;)

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Done it. Rode with a few plugged tires from almost new to almost cords. Didn't ride any differently with or without the plug.

That said, I just recently saw my first puncture in a front tire (not my bike). It was interesting.

Have a good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts