Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I would like to make the Matris damper from my old 749 work on my new 848. I unbolted the stock 848 damper, flipped the mounting arm to the left, removed all the mounting hardware from the matris and everything *seems* to work. No touching or rubbing on full lock either side, everything seems kosher. However, I have two questons:

1. The mounting arm tube from the stock 848 is a little large for the Matris damper - the Matris seems thinner than the stock damper. Right now, I have it mocked up with just duct tape taking up the space, but if I am able to find a washer/spacer, is it safe?
  2. What about the "stroke"? Someone once told me that you cannot reuse dampers across bikes as the "strokes are different" Can someone please explain this to me? I mean, the adjustable dampers are adjustable for stroke right? If I am able to find even a few settings on the Matris that work with my 848 to my satisfaction, am I good? Or am I being too simplistic?
Thanks a lot in advance,

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
You have lock to lock steering it appears from your pics. So, the damper has enough "stroke" to do its job without binding. Whe I asked if it would work on my 996 that is what I was concerned about.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have lock to lock steering it appears from your pics. So, the damper has enough "stroke" to do its job without binding. Whe I asked if it would work on my 996 that is what I was concerned about.
Thanks WileECoyote. I am able to turn lock to lock without any binding or rubbing or touching.

I'd really love to keep this damper, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
279 Posts
the stroke they are talking about is the distance from one end of the dampers motion to the other. if you got one of a bike that had a short stroke it wouldn't work on a bike that needed a longer stroke as the damper would bottom out before you reached full steering lock. the adjustment you are thinking of just affects the damping force (resistance) and adjusts how 'stiff' it feels.

since you have no problem going from steering stop to steering stop and the damper is not limiting that then it should be fine. as far as the bracket goes all it has to do is hold the damper body firmly. if it does that, it's ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts