Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not referring to genital warts so you can all relax. I was riding home today after a "spirited" run when I hit some accident traffic about .25 miles from my house. Outside temps are approaching H.A.F. (hot as f*ck) and I was forced to endure crawl speeds for about 15-20 mins. The SF was obviously running hot but I didn't think it was too far outside of its normal temp range... I could be wrong though because I was too busy rubbernecking the rollover accident. Anyway, at some point I smelled coolant and noticed a puddle forming under the bike. As soon as I got underway again it seemed to stop and it's not leaking on my garage floor. What the hell does the expansion tank do if I'm still pissing coolant? Is this an issue, or is this to be expected in an overheat situation?

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
It's definitely not normal. Check the connection on the radiator hoses upper and lower. The clamps have been known to be loose. I suppose it could have been an overfilled expansion tank too.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Must be summer. After a good canyon ride on sat morn i left her in the garage and then checked on her a few hours later. i saw some some spots under neath her. 1st i thought it was oil then as i got closer i noticed it rite were the over flow tube was. i was very relieved it was water. either she got really hot or all the tight left and rights made her over flow? dont know but its probably normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely not normal. Check the connection on the radiator hoses upper and lower. The clamps have been known to be loose. I suppose it could have been an overfilled expansion tank too.
If it were the connections wouldn't the coolant continue to leak? I checked all the connections recently so I doubt I'm leaking fluid from there. Does the expansion tank have an overflow tube as well?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode it again this evening and all is well. I'll bring it up when I take her in for the 7.5 service. Please chime in if you've experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It's happened to me as well - but only occasionally and only a few drops. My expansion tank is not overfilled. Everything seems normal so I'm not concerned. (my truck did this on occasion as well)

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
This did happen to me but it was a lower rad hose clamp. Guido at the factory forgot to tighten one of them because it was time for an espresso run.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Rode it again this evening and all is well. I'll bring it up when I take her in for the 7.5 service. Please chime in if you've experienced anything similar.
Actually my fz1 on hot days makes the sweet sweet smell of coolant burning at stop lights. But the fluid doesn't go down barley anything. It must just be a drop or something. I was thinking the coolant was bad and flushed it with new coolant. But on a hot day I will still smell it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
its a fact that the fighter doesnt get so hot as other 3 or 4s engines...its not normal but not something to worry about i guess...

it happened to me once just like freezerburn...so just check the cooling system, its something minor imo

·
Registered
387 Posts
yo

had the same problem. Ended up being a cracked cooland bottle...hairline...only would leak when really hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts