Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

2002 ST4S; 13k mi

Bike has been running like a champ all summer. Upon start up yesterday the bike went through usual sequence of dash lighting and fuel pump priming.
Then it went dark as I pushed off centerstand and turned bike prior to attempting a start. Turn ignition switch off and the flashing alarm light shows as is normal. Turn key on again and the entire LCD panel lights for a quick flash and then dark again.
Put the bike on the charger last night and this morning a key turn has all dash lights lit and slight buzzing/whining noise. I will post a video of this to youtube once I get home.

I am thinking that I'll start pulling the fairing tonight but not sure what to look for and check past that.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Check the battery voltage off the charger and again with the key one. It may have given up the ghost. Obviously make sure the connectors are clean and tight.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could be many things, but I suspect a dead battery. You MUST make sure that you have a battery with more than 13V that does not drop below 12V when cranking. Too many people just measure 'surface' voltage, i.e. with no load; this is useless.
If using a known good battery does not cure your problem, there are plenty of avenues to explore; I wrote a digest of 'no-start issues' for the Yahoo ST2 list; join it and look through the files section.
Michael

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Just an FYI, with the very fast ranging digi voltmeter (http://www.lascarelectronics.com/temperaturedatalogger.php?location=uk&datalogger=116), I will see the volts drop well below 12v when cranking. Sometimes in the 9v range. It is very momentary while on a compression stroke. Once off the comp stroke, the volts jump back up. This has yet to cause a starting problem. A visual average voltage is about 11v while cranking.

As a basis, I have a YT14B4 (12Ah) batt, Powlet starter wires, headlight on, and on a Battery Tender 4hrs per night. The ST sounds like a car when cranking. I posted some vids of this in a threat a while back:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/112457-st-not.html#post1096470
See Posts 26 and 32.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When my main ignition relay went it caused intermittent starting problems associated with my dash doing funny things. Thats the one under the windscreen fairing. There are two next to each other - one is for the lights. There are also two relays under the seat for injection/ignition. If I remember right all are interchangeable which helps fault finding.

Keith

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks all-- I will get exploring today and report back. thanks again for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
725 Posts
If it is your battery. be carefull and make sure it is oriented correctly when re-installing.

There are many threads on here which someone has hooked the battery up backwards, and that usually results in a fried ECU.

·
7,733 Posts
^ Excellent advise. :) This is exactly why I paint the "+" imprint on my battery red so it'll bring the orientation to my attention should I ever put the battery in backwards, as it's easy to do. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I imagined all kinds of terrible, expensive repair thoughts. Turned out to be the battery. Whew!

·
7,733 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I imagined all kinds of terrible, expensive repair thoughts. Turned out to be the battery. Whew!
When it comes to Ducatis and electrical problems, or any problems for that matter, people are "loaded for bear"; always expecting the worse. I can't say how many electrical problems affecting Ducatis that have been listed here, have ended up being simply bad batteries, or poor connections, ie nothing major. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts