Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting bike that I am going to sell soon and being a classic car guy; I would know how to describe it but bikes can be different'

What I did:

Purchased the remains of a rare Superlight that was totalled in germany and shipped it here.

Purchased a supersort that was a nice low mile; lady owned bike.

Blended the two together to build a Superlight (since they where not available here that I know of)

So the question is:

Do I call it a superlight? A clone? A tribute? or something else???

·
Registered
127 Posts
I do not think that you can call it either, perhaps a Supersport-light Custom. Regarding the superlight aspects, does it have a solo tail, high pipes, etc? Were the Supersport parts from an SP or a CR? Does it have an oil temp gauge like the post-1996 SP's did (but Superlights did not). Check books by authors such as Ian Falloon to see all the specs on these bikes, that way you will be able to give a better description to potential buyers.

96SP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im confused.. i to am a classic car owner/restorer. If you take an MG twin cam that was totaled and put the motor, suspension and brakes on a MKII chassis it is still nothing more than a MKII with some real nice goodies.

As with cars the VIN number, origin and date of build carry with it the entire pedigree. With that said a 900ss with marvic wheels and single seat would be easy to sale and make almost anyone happy to own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think its ok to call it a superlight if you want to, but then to sell it, you have to explain what it really is, a bitsa. The superlight parts are probably worth more to part out separately.

Is it yellow? Pics please.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wrecked SL was a red 94 and the SS was a red 93 so i stayed with the red. I just took the body panels to the paint shop so it could be yellow if that is more desirable. What i used and survuved the crash was the solo tail. Complete forks and headset, guages (no oil press.) and a few bits of the carbon fiber pieces. I did not opt to ship the engine and chassis since the chassis was mangled beyond repair and the engine had a broken case.

I think a good brand would be a SL hybrid?? But then it would have to be green huh! :)

The wheels are the SS wheels

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im confused.. i to am a classic car owner/restorer. If you take an MG twin cam that was totaled and put the motor, suspension and brakes on a MKII chassis it is still nothing more than a MKII with some real nice goodies.

As with cars the VIN number, origin and date of build carry with it the entire pedigree. With that said a 900ss with marvic wheels and single seat would be easy to sale and make almost anyone happy to own.
If it was a car, I would call it a tribute.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It's an SS with some SL parts. Especially without the SL VIN number, Marvic wheels, etc. To call it an SL is simply not true in any form.

Hopefully it has the iron rotors, carbin fenders, high pipes, etc.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
the wrecked SL was a red 94 and the SS was a red 93 so i stayed with the red. I just took the body panels to the paint shop so it could be yellow if that is more desirable. What i used and survuved the crash was the solo tail. Complete forks and headset, guages (no oil press.) and a few bits of the carbon fiber pieces. I did not opt to ship the engine and chassis since the chassis was mangled beyond repair and the engine had a broken case.

I think a good brand would be a SL hybrid?? But then it would have to be green huh! :)

Without the SL frame and number plate, I do not think you can call it a SL. You have a SS with some really nice goodies...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the bike we know as an SP in the USA was called a Superlight in Europe. In any case what the Europeans call a Superlight is NOT the same bike as what Americans consider to be a Superlight.

In the USA, the Superlight was a one year only model. In Europe it was more common. There are more details of this in a few of Ian Falloon's books, but to me the bottom line is it's a modified SS, there is no value to it due to any rarity. If you do call it a Superlight, it's only going to confuse people because the Superlight wasn't available here in '94.

You can make it look like what we'd call a Superlight by painting it yellow and installing a solo seat/carbon parts, but I'm guessing you haven't got the Marvic wheels so it's not going to fool anyone. Most peoiple will think you've modded an SP. I dont' see it selling for any more than an SP would... and maybe less since it's been modded.

FWIW - as Ducatis go, a European Superlight isn't what I'd call rare...

EDIT: I guess I should read closer. Seems like what you'll have is a '93 900ss with a solo tail and some CF parts. I don't see it being worth any more than an SP... With SP's selling in the $4000 range (I bought my '97 a year ago for $3750) I hope you're not putting too much money into/expecting to get any money out of this thing.

As for what to call it, I'd say it's a 900ss with mods. I don't see how it can be an SL clone or tribute or whatever when what it sounds like it will be an SP with a solo tail. Is the frame white? You've already confirmed it hasn't got Marvic wheels. There are a lot of 900ss's out there with nicer than stock forks and solo tails...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with the comments above. Calling it a SL is not helpful. It sounds like a nice project bike so I think the best you can do is very carefully and professionally describe what you have done. Before, during and after pics are an asset here. It is often difficult to convince someone to buy a custom. They're concerned it could be a bushel of heart ache if the work wasn't done right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the input.
The last thing I want to do is mislead someone or make them think they are getting something they are not.

I know that i will not be recouping anything close to my investment but I will keep it rather than give it away.

I haven't been on this board since 06 and that was the last time the bike was ridden.

My riding partner and best friend was killed on his bike late in 06 and it has sat in the garage only being started a few times a year since.

Not looking to make a fortune. Just find a home that can appreciate what it is and enjoy it.

I am hoping for somewhere in the 5500 range.

I will post pics when the panels are back from paint.

·
Registered
255 Posts

You have a '93 900SS with a SL tail, front end and some carbon. As has been stated the market value of SS's today is in the $4K range.

Cheers

d.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not looking to make a fortune. Just find a home that can appreciate what it is and enjoy it.

I am hoping for somewhere in the 5500 range.
Unfortunately, what it is to you, and what it is to the market, are two different things. While the backstory is significant to you, to a buyer it's a 900ss with some pretty typical mods.

At $5500 you're competing against FE's for about the same money and SPs for a lot less. Just for reference I've got the name of a guy with a mint '95 900ss/sp he'd be happy to get $4k for.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Personally, while a lot of people see the market for carbed 900ss/sp as $4K, I see it as closer to $3K. An Ebay search on completed sales reflects this. I bought a '95 in very good condition, 10k mi., which needed tires, chain/sprockets, a carb cleaning, for $2400 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the bike we know as an SP in the USA was called a Superlight in Europe. In any case what the Europeans call a Superlight is NOT the same bike as what Americans consider to be a Superlight. ...
I beg to differ: an SP was called "Carenata" (full fairing) in Europe. An SP with half fairing was called "Nuda".

The only item of interest of a Superlight would be the Marvic wheels, and maybe the vast iron rotors. Everything else can easily be bought (mono seat, carbon front fender, etc. ) and are really not that special. Just my 0.02....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Let me summarize. You're selling your friend's bike after he was killed on it, you claim expertise by saying you are a classic car guy but you don't even know that the Superlight WAS sold here in 93, you have no clue what the market value for a previously wrecked (salvage?) bike is, even after (assumption) doing some research here and on Ebay for prices, and last, you are considering selling the sum of 2 wrecked bikes as something special.

I think you are trying to be honest, but you are coming across as clueless and not trustworthy. Truth hurts, sorry.

My 2 cents: part it out and release the bad karma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is it

If the frame is an SS, then its an SS. You could advertise it as an SS with SL parts, but anything else would be false advertising IMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts