Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeking for help!!!

i usually ride my 999 once a week, but yeaterday the bike cant crank, i can only hear the "contact" sound of the starter relay, meaning the it's working, however, i replaced it with new one and get the battery charged too, but the bike still unable to crank...

help help help....what is the next time shall i do.?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is probably due to totally damaged battery , new non-maintenance batteries very often dies immediatelly with no reason, on my 996 the battery was replaced 3 times while the bike was under warranty. But before you buy new one try it with battery from another bike just to be sure (my friend has R1 and was charging his battery for 12 hours with no effect)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
seeking for help!!!

i usually ride my 999 once a week, but yeaterday the bike cant crank, i can only hear the "contact" sound of the starter relay, meaning the it's working, however, i replaced it with new one and get the battery charged too, but the bike still unable to crank...

help help help....what is the next time shall i do.?
get a voltmeter and check the voltage of the battery. If it's too far below 12v, you need to replace your battery. Charging it again may not help.

check your fuses
check cables and wires for corrosion; clean them if necessary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you only ride the bike about once a week and do not keep it on a charger or a battery tender then you are only asking for a dead battery. You could probably rest assure that there is an internal problem with the battery. Just replace it. It's better to do that then be stuck somewhere out in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shouldn't need to use a volt meter. The gauge unit gives the voltage. My battery did the same thing about six months ago. Just buy a new one and get you a batter tender. They say the tender will double the life of the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the helps, the bike is being diagnosed at workshop now, I was told the ECU issue..WTF
anyone encounter this before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think the ECU has something in common with starter motor. If you can hear some "contact" sound from strating relay in my opinion it's for sure battery. The ECU doesn't control starter motor. If it would be some ECU issue as you said , the motor woud cranc but it wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I would try the new battery first before allowing anyone to tear into the ECU, unless they know something we don't and they are being honest about their diagnosis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all.
my bike is with termi can and race ecu..

went down to the workshop with my stock ecu, the workshop mechanic put back my stock ecu, the bike had crank, i'm puzzled, the bike was with the race 5.9 ecu would not crank at all, and the 5.9 ecu just spoilt over a night.

u guys mind to tell me which spec/model of the battery is in your bike? does the race ecu need more power to work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Yuasa YT12B-BS 12v 10ah battery. Not sure about the Race ECU needing any thing extra or not. Mybee some one with a little more knowledge than me can help with that one.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
sounds like possibly an immobiliser issue,any dash lights or symbols.same key as always?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wish I could help. Last month bike was running like crap. Brought her in and the stock ECU was fried-ground wire had vibrated loose. The consensis was that when the PC was added-2 yrs ago, the ground wire(ECU) was not tightened down properly. New ECU and race DP ECU were same price so opted for the DP unit and dealer was taking partial blame-kicked in 50% of total cost. :). My 4 years old orig battery was on its last legs so I had looked around and ordered YT12B-BS from Sears. $108 vs dealer $135. Got her back and all I can say is Wow! Just sayin that I don't think battery specs change with new ECU race type or stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wish I could help. Last month bike was running like crap. Brought her in and the stock ECU was fried-ground wire had vibrated loose. The consensis was that when the PC was added-2 yrs ago, the ground wire(ECU) was not tightened down properly. New ECU and race DP ECU were same price so opted for the DP unit and dealer was taking partial blame-kicked in 50% of total cost. :). My 4 years old orig battery was on its last legs so I had looked around and ordered YT12B-BS from Sears. $108 vs dealer $135. Got her back and all I can say is Wow! Just sayin that I don't think battery specs change with new ECU race type or stock.
thanks pmorritt

was the starter able to crank after the ecu got fried?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't think the ECU has something in common with starter motor. If you can hear some "contact" sound from strating relay in my opinion it's for sure battery. The ECU doesn't control starter motor. If it would be some ECU issue as you said , the motor woud cranc but it wouldn't start.
The ecu totally controls the start up on a 999 , Press the button once and it should continue to crank until it starts , This is controlled by the ecu .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got back the bike from workshop yesterday, now the bike is running on stock ecu with Termi half system, instead of press the start button once and let the ecu control the crank until starts, now I have to press the start button till the bike start, is it because of the stock ecu is not compatible with the Termi system?

i'm wordering the cause of the race ecu failure...

Now I can feel the difference in throttle respond and power delivery, what is the remedy to improve the current setting of my bike? Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
thanks pmorritt

was the starter able to crank after the ecu got fried?
Yes, it started fine. Then went south fast-erratic idle, hot really hot -temp wise-then no power. First symptoms-that I missed were-stalling when coming to stop-getting way too hot slow riding-and bucking at low speeds. But, she started fine and did the hit and let go thing ok. The electronics on her are wayyy too complicated for me to mess around with although I did replace the starter solinoid last year when it too a shit and stuck closed-just kept cranking even when motor was started. My best advice is find a trusted mechanic. No one ever said Ducati sickness was cheep!:eek::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts