Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I used to be a bit more frequent on these boards until my 2001 748 was stolen, just re-registered (couldn't remember username) because I plan on beginning a 250 project.

Anyway, was hoping someone could help me identify a few things about this bike:

http://www.motoscrubs.com/Duc_Images/12_3.jpg

Clearly a narrowcase 250, but what tank is that? Any ideas on the front forks or rear coilovers?

I am in the process of finding a frame/motor for a 250, but will likely need to source almost everything else from eBay, parts suppliers, etc., with the ultimate goal of building something similar to what you see in the picture. If that is anyone's bike from these boards let me know, I'd have a few questions for them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wild guesses but it could be a 35mm fork off of a Japanese bike, maybe a Honda CB 350(?) as they share the same size axle as the Ducati, the rear shocks look just like the generic ones I have on my 750GT from Road and Race in Australia, and the tank could be a fiberglass part from Airtech.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Yeah I suspected the fork was japanese. The tank is not Airtech, I have looked already, they have a similar one (the Vic Camp style) but it is not Airtech.

Anyone else have thoughts on the tank?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't know what it is but it looks real nice! To be safe you should coat it with the Caswell tank coating to keep it from melting due to the ethanol in todays fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks on the coating tip, didn't know about that, have never replaced a tank before.

Trying searching for Syd's, do they have a website?

Any more tips on what tank that may be? It is driving me crazy trying to find out, I have seen it on maybe 2 or 3 other bikes, it is definately the tank I want...

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
Yeah That could be a tank from Airtech or glass from the past

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagetanks.htm
looks a little like the x62 suzuki tank

could be the Aermacchi tank part# AERFTA at glass from the past
Syds does not have a website ( I don't think they know what a computer is) and they haven't printed a catalog in over 20 years.
you have to call them 727-522-3333 east coast time zone

You can get a similar tank from Old Racing Spares in Italy
http://www.oldracingspareparts.com/

No matter what it's nothing original so find what you like
Good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you look at the side of the engine you will see that Greyish colored metalic finish..What is that process called?

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you look at the side of the engine you will see that Greyish colored metalic finish..What is that process called?
My guess would be the process of bead blasting, then polishing the raised letters........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Syd's Cycles does not have a website sadly. I don't think they ever did.

I don't even know if they are in business anymore. I can't find much on the internet about them. I would like to know if they still exist as the bodywork on my bike came from that shop. Anyone know?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Syd's Cycles in St Petersberg Fla

Syd's is still in business,something like 45 yrs now and busier than ever.
They gave up the web, but their phone # is 1-727-522-3333, I've bought all my parts there for 30 yrs! They stock or build parts to order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts