Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I need a stator and magnet for my 98 ST2. The OEM part is $1000 and I simply can't afford that. Anyone know where to find one? Have one for sale? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end. Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
209 Posts
ducati omaha is showing 26440181A stator updated to 26440182A for $488. a lot i know but better than $1k by a long shot. never delt with these folks just having recently restepped into ducati's. check it out.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That rotor on ebay, I believe, is for "all the other" 2-wire alternators...the 350W output on the pre-1998 Monsters, SS, SBKs, etc.

So it may be a bit narrower than the 1998 ST2 rotor, which is a 420W, 2wire stator. It might work, but I doubt it would provide enough oomph to yield 420W.

Yes, why do you need a new rotor? They don't call them "permanent magnets" for nothing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off I'm not a mechanic by any means, I'm capable of some simple repairs on my vehicles but diagnosis and electrical systems I tend to leave to mechanics. I've had a bad feeling the dealership is trying to rip me off and you guys are confirming that. They are telling me that the magnet needs to be replaced, which did sound odd to me, and now I'm hearing it's a 'permanent' magnet...
The stator failed and I replaced the coil with a rebuilt one. The bike broke down again and the shop said the stator I installed had been correctly installed but had failed again, they claim the magnet. All the while pushing the $1k OEM part. With a family and a new house I don't have time for this crap. Any advice, I'm pulling my hair out here.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Thanks for the RE:

Unless the stator was in rubbing contact with the rotor, and really scored it up, you shouldn't need a rotor.

I used to see Ducati parts on eBay--from some small junkyard in Maine. I wish I had some contact info for you for this gent.

And I've heard good things about that Ricksmotorsports link above, but I have not personally used them. It might be a good idea to either email them or call them to see how much $$$'s.

Electrosport (Electrex) use to have rotors for the 1998, but their website doesn't call out a 1998 ST2 anymore.

And you're probably aware that 1999 and above are totally different, including the crankshaft end, so you can't transplant a newer, 3 phase into the older machines (unless ya trade cranks and also the newer side case!).

You could get away with an entire engine from a 1999-2002 ST2, but you're probably over $1000 for that...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts