Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I burned (no visible fire) my termi silencer during our ride yesterday on my 1100EVOSP. The resin inside has slowly melted after a 6o miles ride when I found it and the carbon fiber was slowly turning black. I don't see a fire and for sure its the heat affecting it. Anyone of you who had the same issue or have any idea about this. Really need your help.

I bought the full system from an online dealer last month and I installed it by my own. I just followed the whole installation procedure. Then after I went to the ducati dealership here to reset the TPS. Bike done 300 miles only when this happened.

I already informed the online dealer for I want to claim the warranty and hopefully they will change it. They were saying that the mixture of fuel is very rich and causes the fuel to leak and create the flame inside the muffler.The dealer should know how to adjust the tps they said, it also require to adjust the mixture on the fuel and air.

The dealership here adjusted the TPS only but they did not do anything on the fuel and air mixture. It does not say anything on the installation procedure about fuel and air mixture. What I know is that the full system was plug and play.

Peter of Abu Dhabi, UAE

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Did your exhaust purchase not include the revised map for the exhaust? Looks as if it is/was running severely lean. C/F would need to be super hot to deteriorate like that considering it's high tolerance to heat. You should've been able to light a cigarette off the header pipe when this happened. Did you not notice the heat? Wow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your exhaust purchase not include the revised map for the exhaust? Looks as if it is/was running severely lean. C/F would need to be super hot to deteriorate like that considering it's high tolerance to heat. You should've been able to light a cigarette off the header pipe when this happened. Did you not notice the heat? Wow!
I dont if it was a revise map or not. I just bought it, installed it and then used it. I havent notice the heat because I was riding. Cant make it out.

What is this revised map? Is this pertaining on the ECU? I dont have idea about this. Thanks!

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Your system should have came with the DP ecu for the exhaust. Did you swap out the ecu? If not it was running severely lean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I swapped the ECU. I installed the ECU which came with the full system. And what I know is that this ECU has been tuned already. What do you think shoul have caused this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Termignoni should warranty this without question !!! It's their exhaust paired with their matching ecu. Sounds like a corrupt ecu to me . I had no idea a silencer could get that hot even with a over lean system . I'd Be concerned about pistons at this point . Pull a spark plug out and check the color

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Yes I swapped the ECU. I installed the ECU which came with the full system. And what I know is that this ECU has been tuned already. What do you think shoul have caused this? Thanks
i will bet you had the db killer in

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i will bet you had the db killer in
There is an old thread about the 2into1 full exhaust with the same problem. They had the DB killer in and suspected that was the culprit. After that thread I removed my DB killer because I was scared mine would melt as well.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
An exhaust system/bike will also run extremely lean/hot if there's an air leak. I had a WR450 that drove me nuts trying to sort out a lean run scenario. It ran so hot that the ti head pipe would glow red under partial throttle. After rejetting the carb and various other attempts, someone enlightened me that the exhaust system could be sucking air. Sure enough, after removing, reinstalling and a bit of high temp permatex, problem solved. For Carbon Fibre to deteriorate, and having occurred over such a duration (300 miles), it couldn't have done the motor much justice. Good luck, keep us in the loop with your findings.:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, hopefully the online dealer will claim the warranty for me and replace the silencer and ecu. I will check my spark plug then as you have said. By the way, How will i know the signs of the spark plug after removal if its good or bad? now Im thinking it might have damaged my pistons as well. Thanks mate!

Termignoni should warranty this without question !!! It's their exhaust paired with their matching ecu. Sounds like a corrupt ecu to me . I had no idea a silencer could get that hot even with a over lean system . I'd Be concerned about pistons at this point . Pull a spark plug out and check the color

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You can easily google some pics of too lean or too rich spark plugs as a reference. A normal plug would look medium to dark brown on the tip. Too lean would be a way lighter color almost white. A too lean fuel mixture would definately cause excessive exhaust temps and could also ( depending on how lean? ) damage piston tops by burning pits on the piston top surface.

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
I have been trying to sell my Termi muffler by itself for a little bit. If you're interested just let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
What's happened with your exhaust and bike?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I wonder how much your dealer charged you for a TPS reset on a 1100 EVO SP...

btw, it's sad to see a problem that first happened in 2007 is still happening 5 years later.
Guess Ducati is too busy replacing expanded tanks.

If somehow Ducati it under warranty, ask for a titanium version, at least that kind of problem wont happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was free when the ducati dealer adjusted my TPS. Do you think the TPS reset might be the culprit?

I already ask the online dealer for the warranty. They will file it and they said it will gonna take 4 to 8 weeks process. I will ask them if thay can send a titanium replacement.

I wonder how much your dealer charged you for a TPS reset on a 1100 EVO SP...

btw, it's sad to see a problem that first happened in 2007 is still happening 5 years later.
Guess Ducati is too busy replacing expanded tanks.

If somehow Ducati it under warranty, ask for a titanium version, at least that kind of problem wont happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts