Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed my wheels to get new tires put on my 998. after i put the wheels back on i went for a ride and now my engine gets upset when my engine hits about 5000 rpm's in any gear. it almost acts like it's hitting the rev limiter but at only 5k. my best guess is that it has something to do with the speedo cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an '05 999 that does the same thing. Only cuts out at certain rpms. I am able to push through it though and seems to run fine once I get past that range. Is yours the same?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, this is the first time i've had this issue. it was fine until i took the wheels off.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
i removed my wheels to get new tires put on my 998. after i put the wheels back on i went for a ride and now my engine gets upset when my engine hits about 5000 rpm's in any gear. it almost acts like it's hitting the rev limiter but at only 5k. my best guess is that it has something to do with the speedo cable.
Speedo cable is entirely mechanical, nothing to do with engine at all, and if the speedo works then it is OK anyway.

It's either coincidence or something was disturbed in removing/fitting wheels.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It looks like the Speedometer is magnetic. If it gets disturbed, I'm not sure what other effects besides speedometer reading...
What else did you mess with or touch while removing/installing the wheel?
Did you use a front stand some other way to lift the front up?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The only thing I can think of, presuming only the wheels were disturbed, is that your chain tension is waaaaaaaay out of kilter? The speedo is mechanical, can't see that that will affect matters.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't touch anything else but the wheels. i will check the chain tension tonight. this is just weird. i made sure i torqued everything correctly and made sure i put everything back to oem spec.

this is the first time i've removed the wheels from the duc so i thought maybe there was something unique somewhere that i just didn't know about.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does it rev past 5k or just cuts out there and does it do them same when not riding the bike (in neutral revving to 5-6k?)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it only does it when the bike is in gear. i went ahead and checked my chain tension, it was a little tight so i loosened it to the 25mm of free play that the shop manual suggests. took it for a brief run down the street and it did not cut out. i'm going to ride it to work tomorrow and see if perhaps that did the trick.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i rode to work today, got up to about 6500 rpm's in 1st, 2nd & 3rd without an issue. i think loosening the chain did the trick. i am going to take the rear wheel off tonight and make sure the pins are in the hole and not the slots.

i did torque the rear wheel correctly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ouch! Yellow blur, was that yours?? Mark, I can see how the really tight tension would throw it off. I tensioned by Supercharger accessory belt on my G35 too tight a few years ago cause it was slapping and at a few thousand RPM's you would hear this stuttering from the blower and would cause the engine RPM's to fluctuate. Loosening it fixed it :)

-Chris

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I knew it was the chain tension because that was a lesson I learned the the hard way! Glad you've sorted it!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ouch! Yellow blur, was that yours??

-Chris
First - cool the problem was solved.:yeah:

Unfortunately yes………… long story (kinda) but the clown I purchased it from had JUST put a new tire on where the bike was sitting, had never even seen the ground IMO but he claimed it was put on the bike about a year ago by the local dealer.. Yeah right….. claimed he picked up a nail in his shop, never mind all the rubber spread all over the inside of the fender and the shock, also said the dealer must have caused that cause he doesn‘t know what that is…again.. Yeah sure…!!! Not even the same tire that was on the bike in the photo he posted to sell it - saw that after the fact. Turns out that was how he put it on, first test ride was not good.. VERY Short.. It was never torqued. 5-7 turns loose.:eek: I was REAL happy about it too!!!!!!!! Claims I must have done it….etc…Guess I should have walked away… came REAL close…. but didn‘t…. . Bike had 230 miles on it.. First damage!! Nice!!!!!! :mad:

I blended out the damage which looked worse then it really was, but raised questions about the rear axle run-out which DNA, the dealer or anyone else I talked to could not answer.. Deer in the head lights!! DNA‘s answer after the typical “take it to the dealer“: “If there is any concern about safety you need to replace the part” $1500- ME: How is it determined good or bad? What tolerance is used to determine the serviceable run-out limits? They could not answer me - they have no tolerance for that (nothing similar to the front axle) and I was loosing mine… ha!. I was persistent for an answer, they contacted Italy (so I was told) and FINALLY I was told it was 0.000” run-out off the machine print… Yeah, in a perfect world.. Not saying it’s not achievable but it’s not gonna happen -- especially on a production bike.. Or necessary so tight a tolerance on that part but there should be a serviceable limit for us to go by on such an important safety part. I was also told buy the guy that he raced, also with other manufactures.. blah blah, and has never seen any manufactures show a run-out dimension.. Go figure!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts