Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in an attempt to gather information about what is the lightest tire for my bike I became rather agitated. The article in the hall of wisdom, though highly informative, did not specify the tire sizes consistently throughout the thread so the actual lightest tire wasn't apparent. I went on individual tire manufacturer website but I am finding it hard to find the information looking for. If you snuck away from your family or are stuck at work, perhaps you could help me determine the ACTUAL lightest tire once and for all... Cheers and have a safe labor day!!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29854

Basing research on the following tire sizes f/r:
180/55 17
120/70 17

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's F/R huh? God that's going to handle like crap.

J/K! I think we all understand.

·
comrade moderator
26,771 Posts
You need to spend some Google time digging through Sport Rider tire shootouts. The answers are out there in interweb-land. Dig for them.

Otherwise, worn out tires are lighter.

I really don't think asking this again will garner any different results than last times complete failure.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I happened to weigh a Bridgestone 016 180/55 at the dealer the other day and found it to be between 11 and 12 pounds. (We were trying to determine how much, that is how little, a new 1100s rear rim weighed. FYI with the bridgestone fitted it was under 19 lbs if memory serves. That is lighter than many modern rims without tires mounted.

One down, about 100 to go. I use to use the Pirelli SuperCorsa sc-2's on the track one great thing was their light weight, I think the N-tec dunlops are pretty dang light too. The more serious (race oriented) the tire, the lighter.) I know the touring ie: D220's are pretty much like stones. Kind of grip the road like stones too!

Mark

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
+1 on just going and measuring them. It's what I've planned to do for a while as I was intrigued by that post about the "free magnesium wheels". Just have to buy one of those hanging weight measuring device thingos and get going with it. I've got to write it on my hand so I'll remember to buy the darn thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What ive found so far with respect to the 180/55 17r

Michlen Pilot Power 2CT:
180 rear: 12.62 lbs

Bridgestone BT016
180/55ZR17 – 12.3lb

Diablo Supercorsa:
180/55ZR17: 12.76 lbs

Diablo Supercorsa Pro
180/55 R17: 12.83lbs

Diablo:
180/55 R17: 13.28 lbs

There we have if everybody!! It seems the lightest tire is the Bridgestone BT016..... No more dilemma.... And I need a new tire and have the PP 2CTs and It looks like the weight isnt THAT much, so I shall purchase another! Cheers

·
Registered
511 Posts
What difference would it make what a tire weighs? Wouldn't grip and handling characteristics be more important, as long as the tires weights were close (I would think that they had to be pretty close, given a standard size). I don't think a pound either way would make much difference, seeing how they wear and get lighter as time and mileage goes by.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What difference would it make what a tire weighs? Wouldn't grip and handling characteristics be more important, as long as the tires weights were close (I would think that they had to be pretty close, given a standard size). I don't think a pound either way would make much difference, seeing how they wear and get lighter as time and mileage goes by.
See the link above. From hall of wisdom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts