Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I get the Siemens ECU is new and different and so are the O2 sensors. I understand what goes on with the maps with a warmed-up engine regarding open loop, closed loop, and various RPMs and throttle openings. What I don't understand and can't find information is what exactly goes on with the Monster 1100 during cold start and warm-up.

There are those on this forum who appear to have a great deal of knowledge regarding the new 1100's setup such as jborders5, who's looking at the ECU and its sensors now.

On a fully cold engine, what happens when you turn the key? It obviously performs some checks, but does it also begin warming the Lambda sensors?

When you press the start button, is the system open loop or closed loop? What does the ECU look at to choose how much extra fuel to dump (seeing as there's no choke)? Is there a map specifically for fully cold starts?

If it's open loop at startup, how long until it goes closed loop for idle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Scissors:

Those are great questions and i was kind of wondering the same. I do know that the Lamdas do have heaters, not sure how long they take to warm though. I believe, after playing with my wife's bike, that when you turn the key all the sensors (ambient air temp, exhaust lamda temp, etc are processed and the stepper motor kicks in opening the butterfly's a bit, and obviously dumps extra fuel (closed loop) until the norms are achieved. (don't know if this system ever goes open loop at all) Not sure why it would.

I must say, the system we have with the termis and performance ecu work great. I could not imagine a better fueling bike. I understand that this is probably the work of the new ecu. The way this bike returns consistant 50mpg, great start up , no surges I absolutely love it to death. Gosh, jump on my 996 based st and its like unbelievable the differences.

Did I mention, neither my wife nor I have stalled this bike yet?

mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
Scissors:

I must say, the system we have with the termis and performance ecu work great. I could not imagine a better fueling bike....

mark
I couldn't agree more. These bikes seem to be hit-or-miss for no apparent reason, but my M1100 with Termi slip-ons/Race ECU/K&N air filter, runs fantastic. Smooth, fast, and fires-up every time.

I've only run 2 tanks of gas since the install, but got almost 55mpg both tanks.

Love it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I couldn't agree more. These bikes seem to be hit-or-miss for no apparent reason, but my M1100 with Termi slip-ons/Race ECU/K&N air filter, runs fantastic. Smooth, fast, and fires-up every time.

I've only run 2 tanks of gas since the install, but got almost 55mpg both tanks.

Love it.
BPA5150, how's the bike with the Termi's on now compare to how it ran before? Is it smoother at lower rpms?

·
Registered
923 Posts
we are looking at getting the ECU and pipes for the ole lady's 696. good to hear it's nice and smooth with the new setup. This is a surgy hoor with stock fueling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
BPA5150, how's the bike with the Termi's on now compare to how it ran before? Is it smoother at lower rpms?
I think she's smoother at every RPM, especially lower. I've got mine geared at 15/41 which is +2 in the back and it feels perfect for my riding, mostly around town and open roads but rarely on the freeway.

She's smooth, fast, and she pulls HARD from top-to-bottom. Like Mark said about never stalling the bike... I swear you could almost pop the clutch with no throttle and ride it off. I don't think mine is a bit lean, and at 50+ mpg on an 1100 I don't know how it could be fueled any better.

I've read people's posts complaining about "popping" and back-fires, but not on mine **knocking on wood**. She's got a glorious GROWL on acceleration and deceleration that makes me smile until my face hurts. She sounds like a Monster SHOULD sound. Not too loud though. I've always worn earplugs for wind noise, and honestly at speed the wind noise is still louder than the pipes... it's a non-issue.

I really liked the bike before the Termi kit, but now I absolutely love it. Any excuse to take her for a spin will do. What's that honey? We're out of butter? I'll run to the store!

I'm extremely happy with the kit. IMO, if you can spare the coin it's definitely money well-wasted. :D

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts